Sometimes I Suck at This

Please poke fun at this.

Hands were sweaty… release slipped off my fingers at full draw. It smacked my rest and guessing that snapped off the thumb trigger. Which then grazed my bow hand and flew up and away about 10 yards. Hand is fine just small little gash.

For 3 seconds i thought my arrow and bow blew up then realized what happened.

I think ima try a TRU Ball release instead. But yeah, nock on…

Attachments

• 2E2CAAA7-CD0E-4DD2-B33A-4149C36BD28E.jpeg
    2E2CAAA7-CD0E-4DD2-B33A-4149C36BD28E.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 66012121-FFA3-45A5-A502-FA708E501062.jpeg
    66012121-FFA3-45A5-A502-FA708E501062.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 725775C9-A7A7-48D5-A743-68AEF0E07392.jpeg
    725775C9-A7A7-48D5-A743-68AEF0E07392.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

trackboss

FNG
I've had the same thing happen to me. As a result it's been a challenge to learn to relax at full draw. The one thing I have done is install a small stripe of grip tape on the index finger hole perpendicular to the hole.

OP
540-Virginian
I've had the same thing happen to me. As a result it's been a challenge to learn to relax at full draw. The one thing I have done is install a small stripe of grip tape on the index finger hole perpendicular to the hole.

Oh, boy can't wait... I really did order the true ball release as it was cheaper and I need a release quick before the season, and two it had more than two finger grips...

OP
540-Virginian
Lanyard might slow it down, prevent some damage, but it ain't going to feel good at all.

I have yet to see a slipped release end well.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine how it would work without jacking up your wrist, and one reason I ditched it after a few months of practice. I am just getting back into shooting again as you know, should have thrown it back on maybe... but like you said no way may have been a better feeling. I prefer the way it turned out but damn that release was expensive. Hopefully, the part isn't too expensive. I could never sell this release now, at least not for a lot and without a disclosure lol.

sndmn11

WKR
Having a lanyard with minimal slack would be the same effect on one's wrist as a typical wrist strap release.

The bow doesn't get stronger depending on the release type.

MattB

WKR
Having a lanyard with minimal slack would be the same effect on one's wrist as a typical wrist strap release.

The bow doesn't get stronger depending on the release type.
Not really. There is nothing in the normal drawing/releasing/letting down that mimics having the full forward momentum of a shot stopped by a lanyard around your wrist after a couple/few inches of forward travel. Not to mention a cord lanyard wouldn’t spread the pressure nearly as well as a wrist strap. Not to mention the surprise aspect.

Last edited:

I've sent hand held releases for a ride at least 3 times just like this only it's never damaged anything other than the finish on my riser. Pretty hard to get the release hand to relax now..

sndmn11

WKR
Not really. There is nothing in the normal drawing/releasing/letting down that mimics having the full forward momentum of a shot stopped by a lanyard around your wrist after a couple/few inches of forward travel. Not to mention a cord lanyard wouldn’t spread the pressure nearly as well as a wrist strap. Not to mention the surprise aspect.

It isn't the full forward momentum. It also isn't an every shot instance, it is an instance that ideally never happens and having the release connected to the person keeps it from becoming a projectile.

Why the pushback from a solution preventing damage to the bow and potentially people?

Would that have happened with the mini? Dudley says he uses the smaller hole, I really like the way it fits with my finger. I have had a number of screw up since switching over to the hand release style, hopefully I can just learn from reading this.

ICBoy

FNG
Make yourself a lanyard. I made mine from some craft store leather and para cord

OR Archer

WKR
I’ve had a few of these come through the shop over the years. The best ones were Hoyt Carbon risers. Let’s say a chunk of flying metal smashing the bridge of the riser is not pretty. Boss was helping a guy tune and the customer let go of his release. Hit my boss in the chest like Mike Tyson lol.

xcutter

WKR
You should probably just send that release to me. I'll take care of it for ya.

Glad you didn't get hurt. I've done the same thing before after I got done waxing my string. I got lucky though and the release didn't hit anything. I stuck an arrow in my wall at my house. It was real pain to dig the arrow out of a wall stud. LOL.

TX_Diver

WKR
Send it to Carter with a note explaining what happened. They're customer service is great and they will repair it for you.. I may or may not know that from experience...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We all have to live and die by the choices we make in the equipment we use. Most of what I use is based on what I already can foresee happening with other choices. Every choice I make is to limit what Murphy can actually accomplish. Kick that bastard while he's down, and keep him down.......that's how I roll.