Sonora here I come!! (Update)

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Well, only a few days out from my desert sheep hunt. I have mentioned it a couple times on here but I was the lucky winner of the Epic Outdoors desert sheep hunt a few months back. Fast forward and I'm only 4 days away from heading down there. I would be lying if I didn't say that I was a bit nervous to be heading down there alone. I tried to convince a couple of my hunting buddies to head down with me (since they allow a companion for free) and hunt cous deer (3000 for the cous) but it seemed everyone had previous engagements.
For all of those who have been to Sonora, tell me some good stories to ease the anxiety. For all those that have been on a desert sheep hunt, anything you didn't bring that you wish you had?
Thank for letting me release a little anxiety on here and I will be certain to share my experience!!!
All the best to those who still have tags left in 2021.
Happy Thanksgiving.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Go live in the moment and enjoy the heck out of your hunt and embrace the adventure! If you kill a sheep, great. If not, cherish the journey and time afield on an epic adventure in a foreign land and make new friends and a lifetime of memories. Enjoy!

bbell

WKR
Are you nervous about going to Mexico alone? I’ve only been in the Baja region but had similar anxiety about taking my family to Mexico. We were visiting some family working down there and spent zero time in resort type community. From what we saw the people were great, the food was great, and the culture was great. Enjoy the time! That will be quite the experience!

wyosteve

WKR
My only suggestion is to make sure you have tweezers and a magnifying glass. Everything in that country wants to 'stick' you and it can be hard to see and remove small thorns.

I’d suggest bringing down some fun stuff for the kids that may be around camp and a couple things specific to where you’re from for the guides. I think you’ll find that breaking the ice and stoking out the kids will go a long way in making the hunt a more fun experience and maybe get that 10% effort from the crew. I love the epic podcast and throw my name in the hat for their raffle so It’s great to hear it does happen. Good luck and hunt hard

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Shoulda held a raffle on here for companions.
Would have been a great idea. I had someone coming down with me until just a few days ago. I can't believe how hard it was to try and convince some of my buddies to come with me as well.
Are you nervous about going to Mexico alone? I’ve only been in the Baja region but had similar anxiety about taking my family to Mexico. We were visiting some family working down there and spent zero time in resort type community. From what we saw the people were great, the food was great, and the culture was great. Enjoy the time! That will be quite the experience!
I think the biggest part is just the lack of knowledge of the region. Travelled to Mexico quite a few times but usually that is something the wife plans and lets just say it's not the same type of trip hahah Unless they have margaritas and a pool at the ranch hahah
I've read a couple horror stories of guys trying to get rifles down there and customs etc. So that has been the cause of a little bit of anxiety.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Never hunted MX, but have hunted a fair amount near the border.
I like Mexican food but not EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. for every meal, for a week.
I recommend carrying plenty of TUMS.
Enjoy your hunt!!!!!

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Download a translator app or take a dictionary with you. I love Sonora and the people. It's a wonderful place, just avoid traveling at night.

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
I've googled the heck out of it but info is all over the place. My outfitter has my Mexican import document for my firearm for entering Mexico. For those that have gone to Mexico on hunts, is there any paperwork that you need to do in advance in order to re-enter with that firearm? Thanks guys!!! Getting very excited.