Sons first archery buck! How do I preserve the velvet?

MHWASH

WKR
Son shot this buck last evening. Some of the velvet got tore in the process of getting it home. Can I save the velvet? If so how?

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any input on preserving the velvet, but congrats to your son on a fine velvet buck!!!

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Get to the taxi ASAP (might be too late already). There has to be formaldehyde in every vein in that rack

For future reference, grab some "antler in velvet tan" to apply immediately after harvest.

Velvet preservation starts before you shoot! Need to have all the supplies etc ready to go if you want to save it. Also late in the season, if the velvet is starting to strip it's probably too late any way and not worth the effort and money anyway. As mentioned call the taxidermist asap and hope they have what it takes.

Congrats on a Nice buck!

I've heard of a couple guys that just leave it in the freezer until its "freeze dried"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Throw it in the freezer as soon as possible and get it to the taxidermist. If its too late, and you HAVE to have it with the velvet, they can apply artificial velvet (flocking). Congrats to the young man!!

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't done deer, but for caribou I left it in "freezer" (outside, since we lived in AK) for the whole winter once I knew it'e be consistently below freezing.

4 months later, even with a few thaw days, all was good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Get it in a freezer ASAP and bring it to a taxidermist. You can soak them in white gas and it preserves it. touch it a little as possible. If some of it got ripped be hard to save those spots.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Because of the heat, as well being super busy, we just threw it in the freezer.