Son's first hunt

rclouse79

WKR
If you would have told me there was something better than hunting myself I would have said you were crazy before today. We set up the blind and decoys in the dark and heard a lot of gobbles at first light before it got quiet. I tried to make sure my new hunting partner was happy by pumping him full of hot cider and Jelly Bellies. He started to get cold and was yawning so I had him lay down on my pad with the down coats over him. I called intermittently for an hour or so and then finally heard a gobble. I got him up in the chair and a few minutes later we had a rodeo. We could hear two toms getting closer and finally saw them pop out of the trees across the meadow. I let out some hen calls and another bird gobbled right behind our blind. The two toms across the meadow saw our decoys and came running in on a rope. I kept whispering for him to get ready and moments later they were standing right behind the decoys. I don't know how many times I whispered for him to shoot, but was met with silence. I watched as the birds moved to the right and saw my son's shoulders slump. I grabbed the shooting stick and moved the barrel over to the far window. At this point I couldn't see the birds and was trying to steady the gun with my hand as he aimed. I pleaded one more time for him to shoot and to my relief the gun went off. I was half expecting a miss after the scramble, but was pleasantly surprised to see his first bird on the ground stone dead. It sure was nice to escape from all of the craziness in the world and share such a cool first hunting experience with my son. Hope I have a hunting partner for life.
3.png2.png1.png

hobbes

WKR
Congrats to you and your son. It's been a while since my boys were that young, but seems like yesterday. Don't pass up any opportunities to hunt with him.

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats to the little man on a great first bird!! 🦃 Awesome memories right there! Great pics and write up!! Thanks for sharing!! (y)

Awesome!!! My sun turns 6 next week. I can’t wait until Missouri youth season next year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk