Son's new bat

Hey all, new here and only forum I am a part of, since bow season isn't till the fall we gotta occupy ourselves with some other stuff right. Anyway, i want to buy my son a new bat and have heard some great things about Easton's mako, but i don't see a point in spending $200 on a bat. Are there any other options that are still good bats, but are cheaper. If you need to look through bats here's a link, Bats - Baseball Bargains
Thanks!!

cnelk

WKR
My daughter slugged her way thru college as a DH and utility player playing fastpitch softball, with All Region Honors with a .552 BA.

And I can tell you it wasnt with a $200 bat... much more than that.
Each year was a new bat too

Age? Skill level? How much would you like to spend? -3 I assume?

If he is in middle school or highschool buy him a nice bat, then grab him some cheaper wood bats to use for practice and BP, it will make him a better hitter and save the pricey stick. You can get 3-4 years out of a quality aluminum that way easy. The new Bbcor's are a lot different then the sticks I swung at Hawaii. They don't rebound as much so they don't wear out as fast either.

You don't need a new bat every year as long as it's quality and your not letting every Tom, Dick and Harry use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking little league...remember all bat rules change next year in little league. The bats that have been legal are ridiculous tennis rackets basically. Thats why you see 50-60 home runs now in leagues filled with kids who have terrible swings. They are attempting to rein in the bats with a huge trampoline effect by using a new bat standard. Now if you are talking about older divisions remember nothing changes much in the bats. The BBCOR Bats have not changed much in several years. A bat that was out two or three years ago is almost identical. Find a two year old bat in a closeout section on line and save a ton of money. If it is for little league wait until the new bats come out that fit within the new rules

Beendare

WKR
If its little league...and the kid goes on to play at higher and higher levels.....be prepared to spend some big $$ on those bats.

Its worse than bow manufacturers convincing hunters they have to have the latest and greatest bow!

These kids see the difference between top of the line bats...and its a fact. I like to think its the hitter and not the bat....(the speil to my son anyway!) but when you can get an extra 20'-30' from those high dollar bats....its the difference between a warning track shot and a HR.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Buy last year's model of the latest/greatest composite bat from one of the clearance websites. Turn the kid loose in the batting cage until it breaks. Ship it back to the mfg and receive the current model as the warranty replacement. The bonus is the buckets of balls the kid hits while breaking the original will help his results more than the new bat.

OP
C
Sorry all, have been busy, but my son's in high school, so I guess I should consider buying a more expensive bat?

a couple of my hunting buddies play HS ball. Listening to Dad the whole thing has turned into a racket since my playing days. As I recall I'd take $50 to the first practice and we got all the bats, balls and helmets we needed. A glove, cleats and, of course, a cup is the only thing I ever remember buying on my own.

The biggest ripoff are the wood bat only tournaments with i guy set up selling wood bats at twice the price for when teams bust all theirs.

No clue on what is a good bat these days but I'd get him whatever he likes the best. A favorite bat is just as wonderful as a favorite rifle or bow!

Sorry all, have been busy, but my son's in high school, so I guess I should consider buying a more expensive bat?

Pirchase one of the higher end BBCOR bats (Rawlings velo, Louisville slugger 917, dimarini CF8, easton XL1, etc) but get one that is last years model. It will be half the price and nearly identical.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a sporting goods store for 16 years, don't waste your money on a top of the line composite BBCOR bat, none of the bbcor bats have any pop. The aluminum bats are produced right to the limits of the bbcor test, the composite bats are produced 3-4% less than the test to allow for break-in and still pass the standard, so you have to break-in a composite bat before it is as good as an aluminum bats 1st swing. Not all aluminum is created equal, a $50 bat is no match for a $200 bat. Think of the bbcor standard as a maximum speed limit, you can not exceed the speed limit but you can fall far under, think Hyundai vs Corvette. Our best selling bats are Marucci, Cat 7 and Cat 6, run you $200-250.
Bombs away!

2ski

WKR
I know my buddy's kids and everyone in their league give away or sell cheap their old bats as they upgrade. Your boy should keep his eye out for stuff like that. But if he's in high school, probably spend the coin and get a good bat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk