Sony a5100 vs a6000

ddenney

FNG
I'm looking for a little insight on these two. While I'm very much a beginner, I'm looking to get into some photography while out on my hunts and trips. Mainly will be packed on hunts to document things I see and share with others.
Size is why I picked sony mirrorless because I will be more willing to take it along.
I've been looking at reviews and articles on the two but it seems like very few differences between them. Does anyone have any experience with these two? What say you? What would be a good lense to compliment them?
Thank you ahead of time

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a little insight on these two. While I'm very much a beginner, I'm looking to get into some photography while out on my hunts and trips. Mainly will be packed on hunts to document things I see and share with others.
Size is why I picked sony mirrorless because I will be more willing to take it along.
I've been looking at reviews and articles on the two but it seems like very few differences between them. Does anyone have any experience with these two? What say you? What would be a good lense to compliment them?
Thank you ahead of time

Just picked up the a6000 and it is pretty impressive. Bought a Sigma 30mm prime lens for digiscoping. Also bought a sony 18-105 mm lens for video and everday. The kit lens are ok, but really limit options due to f factors. Better lens choice makes this shine.

The 5100 is an older camera, and does not have a view finder. The viewfinder is a great help in bright sun.
The kit lens happens to be a very good lens. As mentioned above the 18-105 is a great lens if video is your main use. For photo I like the 2 lens kit giving you 2 very good lenses at a fantastic price. The telephoto zoom is terrific for wildlife
Feel free to give me a call to discuss the options and Rokslide pricing

OP
D

ddenney

FNG
The 5100 is an older camera, and does not have a view finder. The viewfinder is a great help in bright sun.
The kit lens happens to be a very good lens. As mentioned above the 18-105 is a great lens if video is your main use. For photo I like the 2 lens kit giving you 2 very good lenses at a fantastic price. The telephoto zoom is terrific for wildlife
Feel free to give me a call to discuss the options and Rokslide pricing

I do see that the 5100 doesnt have a view finder. Might be worth jumping up to the a6000 for that? I may have to call you up sometime and discuss a few options. Like I said I'm just a beginner but would really like to be able to document some of the cool things that I see. I'm not sure I would use alot of video but I would like to have that option for the future.

OP
D

ddenney

FNG
Just picked up the a6000 and it is pretty impressive. Bought a Sigma 30mm prime lens for digiscoping. Also bought a sony 18-105 mm lens for video and everday. The kit lens are ok, but really limit options due to f factors. Better lens choice makes this shine.
I have been looking at a few lense options. But may stick with the kit lense for starters as I'm just a beginner. But if a better lense is out there for what I'm wanting to do I might go that route. Thank you for the reply sir.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
You may also want to look at cameratips.com for some handy settings cards that will help you master the camera. I am learning and it is really helping.

jspradley

WKR
I can tell from experience with my old A6000 that the viewfinder is HUGE in bright sun. The flippy screen is almost unusable in bright, overhead light.

I love my a 6400. If it was me I would try to save for the 6400 for the enhanced autofocus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeKira

FNG
I had my heart set on a Sony a6300 and after about 6 months of research I bought a Canon m50 and very happy with my purchase. There are enough lenses and adapters out there for my needs and I think you'll get more bang for your buck with the m50. While the Sony is smaller, the weight is close enough to not be a deal breaker. I'm no expert and only recently have decided to start filming my hunts along with my bjj competitions in the hopes of filming short documentaries for shits and giggles.

Well looking at Sony a5100 and a6000, both of them use the same Bionz X processor and features a 24MP sensor, meaning these can capture photos at very high detail. Both are compact and lightweight as well. If you are on a budget go for a5100. If you are looking for the best of the two I'll go for a6000. The a6000 is more advanced in terms of features, also cost-efficient as it will have a longer battery life offering more shots, has more megapixels, and is faster than the a5100. Check this useful review - https://thewiredshopper.com/sony-a5100-vs-sony-a6000-which-one-should-you-buy/ :unsure: