Sony a6000 vs Sony s6300

northman

FNG
I am looking for a new camera. Trying to stay away from DSLR simply due to size. I like the new mirrorless options, and everywhere I look I seem to find the Sony a6000 and a6300 recommended. I am looking to stay under $1k. Any suggestions? Tips? I am open to anything (DSLR included) as long as it is not over cumbersome and hard to pack in and out. I do have experience with an older Nikon DSLR that was gifted to me, so I'm not a total beginner. Just looking for some help on deciding on a new camera.

Thanks in advance!

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We have both that 6000 and the 6300, plus a 6400 and a 6500. I suspect most people will prefer the 6300 over the 6000. These Sony mirrorless cameras are excellent for video and photo, when considering their size and compactness. If I had one wish, it would be for better battery life when in video mode. And for a full articulating screen when filming yourself. The 6400 has a flip up articulation, but requires some work arounds to not have the mic interfere with the screen. Even with that my crew that were previously Canon and Nikon DSLR guys are also quite impressed with these mirrorless Sony cameras.

We have plenty of lenses. I carry the 6300 or 6400 and I just stick with one medium lens. Good luck.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm following this, an a6300 was recommended to me by a photography I respect, to hear Randy recommend it as well adds more credibility. Thanks!

We sell a ton of Sony and agree that the 6300 is a fantastic option. Problem is that it blows thru your budget limit when you add a telephoto zoom.
Another great option is the Canon M50 2 lens kit. Any M series IS lens has 5 axis image stabilization, not available in 6300.
Both have 4K video
The Canon 2 lens kit, normally $879.99 after Instant rebate, would be $839.99. It is small and light weight and accepts ANY Canon EF and EF-S lenses with the available adapter

OP
N

northman

FNG
We sell a ton of Sony and agree that the 6300 is a fantastic option. Problem is that it blows thru your budget limit when you add a telephoto zoom.
Another great option is the Canon M50 2 lens kit. Any M series IS lens has 5 axis image stabilization, not available in 6300.
Both have 4K video
The Canon 2 lens kit, normally $879.99 after Instant rebate, would be $839.99. It is small and light weight and accepts ANY Canon EF and EF-S lenses with the available adapter

Does the Canon quality match that of the Sony?? My budget isn’t a set in stone number, just my ideal number. If the Canon is comparable that works for me also. I may be able to get my hands on some Canon lenses

The Canon is every bit as good as the Sony. Both are excellent. To use the other lenses you need the Canon adapter. Canon does make a lot of the new mirrorless series lenses

OP
N

northman

FNG
The Canon is every bit as good as the Sony. Both are excellent. To use the other lenses you need the Canon adapter. Canon does make a lot of the new mirrorless series lenses

One last question then, is the weather sealing that important? This would be a hiking/hunting/backpacking camera, so I want to make sure it will last.

Thank you for all of your help.

The issue here is that in order to get a true weather sealed camera you need to look at the lenses as well. Most of them are NOT sealed
Olympus E-M5 Mark2 with the 14-150 (28-300 in 35mm terms) are both sealed. The least expensive Sony camera that is weather sealed is the A6500 at over $1000 then you need a full frame lens, as the crop sensor lenses are not

In other words if you are careful you should be fine.

OP
N

northman

FNG
The issue here is that in order to get a true weather sealed camera you need to look at the lenses as well. Most of them are NOT sealed
Olympus E-M5 Mark2 with the 14-150 (28-300 in 35mm terms) are both sealed. The least expensive Sony camera that is weather sealed is the A6500 at over $1000 then you need a full frame lens, as the crop sensor lenses are not

In other words if you are careful you should be fine.

Good to know. Obviously the plan will be to keep it very much protected. Any adverse weather, my iPhone X in a weatherproof case will have to suffice. I appreciate all of your help and I will let you know if/when I’m going to order. I think you’ve got me convinced on the Canon m50

Wright406

WKR
In my opinion save a little more cash and buy an A7Rii or A7Sii. I have the A7Rii and it’s great. But depending on photo or video primary you can chose an “older” model but get amazing performance.

OP
N

northman

FNG
In my opinion save a little more cash and buy an A7Rii or A7Sii. I have the A7Rii and it’s great. But depending on photo or video primary you can chose an “older” model but get amazing performance.

I appreciate the advice! The budget is less about the amount saved, and more about the amount and type of use the camera will get. Although I do have previous experience with a camera, I am by no means a professional, and this will be more of a hobby/just for fun type of thing. I have heard great things about the A7Rii, but for my needs I can't justify it.

Thanks!

Always here if you have any questions

Which 2 lenses does your Canon m50 2 lens package come with? I know you said $840 for it, but am just curious as to which lenses or if you have a link to your website with the deal.

Thanks!

jspradley

WKR
You can score a used A6000 body for $2-300, video isn't that great on it but it's a great little stills camera. Combine that with a used Tamron 150-600 G1 and you should be within to really close to within your budget with a killer tele lens.

I have zero experience with the Canon M50 but you will be limited on lenses, other than that I've heard it's a great camera

OP
N

northman

FNG
You can score a used A6000 body for $2-300, video isn't that great on it but it's a great little stills camera. Combine that with a used Tamron 150-600 G1 and you should be within to really close to within your budget with a killer tele lens.

I have zero experience with the Canon M50 but you will be limited on lenses, other than that I've heard it's a great camera

Thanks for the advice! I am still looking and research, I’m in no rush so I want to be sure. From what I’ve found online, Canon plans to expand the M series and possibly even release a new camera, so I might wait for that. I also discovered that the DSLR I was using previously is actually a Canon (it’s been several years since I used it) and if I can get my hands on it, I would have 2 more lenses to use with the Canon adapter.

FYI:
There are actually hundreds of lenses available for the Canon M system since with the Canon adapter it will accept EVERY brand EF and EF-s lens ever made

TXCO

WKR
We have both that 6000 and the 6300, plus a 6400 and a 6500. I suspect most people will prefer the 6300 over the 6000. These Sony mirrorless cameras are excellent for video and photo, when considering their size and compactness. If I had one wish, it would be for better battery life when in video mode. And for a full articulating screen when filming yourself. The 6400 has a flip up articulation, but requires some work arounds to not have the mic interfere with the screen. Even with that my crew that were previously Canon and Nikon DSLR guys are also quite impressed with these mirrorless Sony cameras.

We have plenty of lenses. I carry the 6300 or 6400 and I just stick with one medium lens. Good luck.

Randy, do you prefer the 6300 or 6400? I was contemplating getting the 6400 but have been worried since its not advertised as sealed. What medium lens are you running?

jspradley

WKR
FYI:
There are actually hundreds of lenses available for the Canon M system since with the Canon adapter it will accept EVERY brand EF and EF-s lens ever made

Good to hear! I'm not familiar with the system so that's really good that it works well with other Canon lenses.

Sounds like it could be an awesome wildlife setup, Canon has some great priced teles!

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Randy, do you prefer the 6300 or 6400? I was contemplating getting the 6400 but have been worried since its not advertised as sealed. What medium lens are you running?

I prefer the 6400. A lot of upgrades from my 6300.

I have this as my all purpose lens -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1411897-REG/sony_vario_tessar_t_e_16_70mm.html

And yes, as Cameraland mentioned, there are tons of lens options when using the adapter(s). We have a lot of Sonys, so we have a lot of Sony lenses.

fishnl8

FNG
I have the 6300 and love it. With the smaller size of the lotto less I find myself actually bringing it more places than the full size DSLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk