Sony Alpha and Lens for Hunts & Digiscope??

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
If the whole covid ordeal doesn’t wreck the fall, we have three pretty special family hunts this year that has me thinking of adding a mirrorless camera to the pack. Since I’ve shot full frame for the past several years I am struggling going back to a crop sensor, but also know it will still give me superior shots and options to my iPhone—which for simplicity is what I’ve almost exclusively used for the past several hunting seasons.

Two of the hunts are for sheep, so weight size is a real issue. Looking at the Sony A7iii and A6600 there isn’t that much weight/size difference to be the deciding factor, but just not sure what lens would be best for all around camplife/scenery/hopefully success shots. I would also really like to use it with my Swaro ATX.

Im not as concerned with price point as getting the right camera/lens combo—hopefully it would also find great use in the increasing backcountry excursions with my 8yo who adamantly says she is more than ready for hunting camp. Not sure she will make it on the wife’s sheep hunt this year—but definitely by next.

So for folks who have used the Sony Alpha series in the field, thoughts for best lens to take along for versatility and packability. Big bonus points if can share any additional experience digiscoping with one.

And finally, if going crop, how would Sony Rx-100 fair?
Thank you in advance for any assistance/input.

Hi
If you go full frame then Sony is the way to go. They are all weatherproof and dustproof as are MOST of their lenses.
If you go crop sensor the best bet, and less money then the A7 would be the Olympus E-M1 Mark 2 with the 12-200mm (24-400mm in full frame terms)
It has better weatherproofing, better 5 axis IS, faster focusing and most of the lenses are better then non GM lenses and it is more bang for the buck, Normally $1999.99, there is a $300 rebate=1699.99, Rokslide cost $$1589.99
I am at the store 9-6 M-F and 9-5:30 on Saturday. Give me a call to discuss. We have everything in stock and ship every day

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Joel, thank you for the conversation and intel. Very helpful. The A7III and lenses arrived safely today, so thanks for that as well.