Sony RX100 or Sony NEX5

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some of you know that I've been using the NEX5 for the last couple years and love it, but I recently purchased the RX100 and it's kicking the NEX's ass!

So I figured I better post this up before people buy the NEX and find out the RX100 is another great option.

Reasons for changing:

1) The RX100 is much smaller and lighter

2) I never used all of the lenses for the NEX and only using one lens did not offer me the full potential of the NEX

3) When comparing the two cameras, the RX has easier and quicker adjustments and more/better options

The total weight savings (with equal zoom lens), over half a pound, so this is a great backpacking camera

The only real negative to the RX is price, so if you're looking at the NEX3, the price difference may not be worth it as the 3 is a great camera.

I will post up photos from the RX as the season goes on so you can see the quality of photos it takes.

Slim Jim

WKR
Can't wait to hear more about it. I've been just using phone for pics and the quality just isn't there. This is the year to get a quality camera.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gman and I talk a lot about cameras (and everything else), so he can chime in on this too.

I researched several cameras for a few weeks and the only thing that compared to the RX was the NEX5/7, but the weight difference was significant and it's much easier to take photos on the fly with the RX.

I'm heading out this weekend and will snap a bunch of photos.

Hardstalk

WKR
I think you took a few with mine as colorado buck wandered off. I cant seem to find him in the pics though. Where in the world is he?:)

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I came to the same conclusion and picked up the RX 100 a month ago. Been practicing digiscoping with the Razor from the house. The video it produces is amazing as well.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Definitely interested in seeing some pics and video from the RX100. I recently bought the Canon G15 and really wanted the RX100 but the $180 extra wasn't happening at the time. I really like the Zeiss f1.8 lens setup on the RX100 and the larger sensor size. DOF on the RX100 kills the competition because of that larger sensor. JPEG noise reduction looks to be pretty solid as well. One hell of a camera man

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Went on a birthday hike this morning and snapped a few photos with the RX. I'm still learning the camera, but it did very well for the lighting (no clouds). The others were taken from boardom while I fletched arrows and screwed around with the settings.

DSC04017_zps7b6014e5.jpg

DSC04016_zpsd96c9153.jpg

DSC04012_zps3e077d87.jpg

DSC04010_zps98cdc36c.jpg

DSC04018_zps40841028.jpg

DSC04028_zpsc1233c02.jpg

DSC04031_zps4911e94c.jpg

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Happy birthday! Pictures look good man. Wish this camera was a lil cheaper tho. Have you shot any video with it yet? If so, how does it compare to the NEX5. I thought the NEX5 video was pretty smooth 30fps recording speed and the continues silent AF which was usable with all three lenses.

Also, what brand is that grip wrap your using? Never seen that green tiger strip before