Sony RX100 + Tines Up?

Tilzbow

WKR
I've got a Tines Up for my big Leica spotter that I'm using with and older Canon. Thinking of upgrading to the Sony RX100. Anyone running this camera with the Tines Up? I want a real good point and shoot for regular use and digiscoping. Any other point and shoot suggestions in addition to the RX100?

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I made a DIY for my RX100 to attach to the Vortex digiscoping setup. It will probably work for the Tinesup also. I can take some pics tomorrow if you want.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Pics of your set up would be great! How are the quality of your pics you're getting with it?

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 2" plumbing fitting and epoxy an adapter ring to it. The outside ring on the RX100 and the eyepiece of the Vortex or Swarovski are really close to the same diameter. Put 4 small pieces of velcro around the lip of the plumbing fixture. The rotating extended part of the lens slides right in and won't shake loose but will pop right out with a gentle pull. Just thread onto the Vortex adapter and and install on to the scope. I also made one by epoxying two plumbing fixtures back to back. One goes over the lens and one goes over the eypiece. I'll add a short video. The picture quality is much better than a normal point and shoot, especially when not digiscoping.
IMG_0669_zps02f8d063.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsea470ada.jpg

IMG_0672_zps787ed55e.jpg

Short vid. (looks like I have some wall repair to do :>)

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Well I finally got the camera yesterday. Went with the RX100ii since I like the idea of the tilting LCD for digiscoping with an angled spotter. I'm hoping Maverick or others can post pictures of their set ups since the RX100's lens barrel is too big for the Tines Up point and shoot adapter I've got. I remember the pics Maverick posted a little and I think that might work with the 58mm TU video adapter. Any help with pics and/or ideas is appreciated.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ive attempted to contact tines up multiple times about building a setup. I gave up after about 4 emails and multiple calls.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I went to Home Depot at lunch and bought some 2" ABS plumbing fittings. I'm about 90% certain I can make an adapter that will work. The inside diameter of the fittings is just over 2 1/4" while the eye piece of the Leica is just under 2 1/4". The focus ring on the RX100 at the base of the lens barrel is also about 2 1/4" so I should be able to use some of the loop side of velcro to fill the gaps and snug everything up so the only challenge I'm expecting is getting the camera lens the proper distance from the eyepiece but that really shouldn't be too difficult.

I spent less than $10 on pipe and fittings and if I knew for sure the exact parts that are needed it probably would've cost less than $4.00. Assuming I'm successful I'll post pictures of the adapter.

Hardstalk

WKR
I went to Home Depot at lunch and bought some 2" ABS plumbing fittings. I'm about 90% certain I can make an adapter that will work. The inside diameter of the fittings is just over 2 1/4" while the eye piece of the Leica is just under 2 1/4". The focus ring on the RX100 at the base of the lens barrel is also about 2 1/4" so I should be able to use some of the loop side of velcro to fill the gaps and snug everything up so the only challenge I'm expecting is getting the camera lens the proper distance from the eyepiece but that really shouldn't be too difficult.

I spent less than $10 on pipe and fittings and if I knew for sure the exact parts that are needed it probably would've cost less than $4.00. Assuming I'm successful I'll post pictures of the adapter.

Ive done this! Works great. Throw some soft sided stick on velcro strips on the lip of the fitting you plan to have camera into. It will make it super snug and keep it from scratching anything.

Edit: should have read closer! (Duh)

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I've got the camera.... But I am selling a DLSR. Brand new in the box.

I was able to make the adapter and it works great! Total cost would be less than $5.00 if I hadn't bought extra stuff. I'll post up pics tomorrow or Sunday.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the pics of my setup. I used a 1 1/2"x2" threaded adapter and cut the threads off. The I epoxied the 58mm Vortex adapter ring to it. I also made one by epoxying 2 threaded adapters together and ne end slides over the eyepiece on the scope.

I would like to see a side by side comparison of a camera like this with some ones camera from their phone. Just to see if there is a big difference in picture clarity for the extra size and weight that your packing around.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I know there's a huge difference between the pics with this camera and my older 8 megapixel Canon which I've got to believe is better than a cell phone camera.