Sophomore Success!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
As for gear:

What Worked, In No Particular Order

First Lite Talus Gloves - Used the fingerless over the full finger a lot, and the fingerless by themselves a lot. Love this setup, and I could get them wet without them losing a lot of warmth.

Hammock Gear Premium Burrow - loved it. Easy to vent if it got too hot at night.

Toaks 550ml Ultralight Pot - Used it as a pot and cup.

Esbit Tablets and UL Stove w/Wind Shield - cut a lot of weight here vs a jetboil/msr with fuel. Even in single digit to temps below zero, never had an issue boiling water for a meal or coffee. Whisper quiet and no waste to lug out.

Kuiu Pro Suspension/Belt w/ Ultra 4000 bag - I tried to make it uncomfortable and couldn't. Never had any pain or weird pressure areas etc. Never loaded it over 70-75 lbs as there were 4 of us, but if performed flawlessly. Was quiet also, no squeaking.

Kuiu Kutana gaiters - these saved my bacon on the last day of the packout in the snow. Light but definitely tough and waterproof.

KDC Snipepod with the 3rd leg to use as a tripod - this was way better than I thought it would be. Used it for hours everyday, and when the time came it performed amazingly as a sitting bipod.

First Lite Wick S/S Top, Mountain Athlete Socks, and Red Desert/Kiln Boxers - wore these the entire hunt, no stink and quick drying!

Kuiu Bomber Hat - was so glad they finally came out with a blaze orange one, kept my noggin very warm!

Snowline Chainsen trail crampons - we went in places where I considered these required. Really helped to maximize efficiency when moving too, really cuts down on slipping. Light penalty for the peace of mind, I will always have them.

Under Armour Infil Ops boots recommened by @ElkNut1 . Very comfortable the whole time, no blisters. May have beaten them up so bad the water proofing is compromised, will test them in the coming weeks, but they have well over 100 miles on them now with 55+ of that being on this hunt. Very grippy on rock and never complained about the trail crampons that were on them a lot.

Folgers single serve coffee bags - sooooooooo much better than Starbucks via. Brought individual creamer cups too.

Kuiu Zip Off Bottoms - just so great to be able to put on and remove without messing with boots.

What DIDN'T work:

Regular Thermarest Neoair X-Lite - actually worked great, but I needed a large! Frequently woke up with frozen hands (in gloves) because my hands would wind up on the ground. Will upgrade to a large.

Short spoon - Figured I'd just cut the Peak Refuel bags, and I did, but this was still annoying. Cussed myself for the extra 0.1 oz I cut here...

FL Guide Pants - love the pants, but its obvious the DWR here is gone. I'd have probably had skin damage from freezing water Friday if we weren't staying mobile. Going to look at alternatives moving forward, they soaked through in no time in wet brush - thankfully I had gaiters on which helped keep my feet going.

Thermarest Z-Pad - Gonna get a better glassing pad. My a$$ hurt a lot lol.

Small rolls of Leukotape from Litesmith - great idea, but this was not the same as a big roll. Not near as sticky and was a b*tch to get off the little straw roll. Will just take the whole roll next time.

Z-Packs toothbrush - Guys, just don't do this. Take a regular toothbrush.

Katadyn BeFree Filter - this is a pro and con. Filtered much faster than a Sawyer, but tasted like rubber. Going to look into methods to clean the bags better to get rid of the taste. It was bad enough that a couple days we just drank straight from the creek which tasted awesome. However that was fresh snowmelt that had not traveled more than a couple miles before we drank it.

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely great read! Awesome to see you state you’ll be tagless until your buddies kill their bulls. Heck of a first bull!!

Thanks for sharing! Persistence pays off. So many times a tough hunt (not seeing any elk after putting on many miles in many days) turns into a trip to remember within minutes. The frustration/lows of a hunt can turn into an awesome hunt.....elk show up out of no where and next thing you know have one on the ground all within 5 minutes. Congratulations, getting that first elk is a huge confidence builder.

Your statement about staying tagless until your buddies score a bull is why those guys were with you!

congrats on the awesome bull, awesome hunt, and great work getting it done over these last two years. Kudos to you and your friends. Time to get them a bull!

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats!!! Great story, pics and bull! Always like to see hard work and perseverance pay off! Thanks for the gear reviews as well! Great job with your fitness regiment! Keep with it as it’ll pay dividends throughout your life! (y)

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Saw the "Got my 2019 bull back from taxidermist" thread and remembered I forgot to update this one...got him back a little over 2 weeks ago. Still surreal to see him.
m1-jpg.137152

m2-jpg.137154

I dunno about that auburn sticker 😂😂😂 but it’s nice to see an Alabama boy getting it done!

I’m originally from Mobile. Nice bull man, love the man cave! Hope you have great luck on your future hunts.