Sore hip joints

B.Hill

FNG
I took my bow for a walk yesterday looking for goats, covered about 9 klm (5.5miles) I have a Kifaru 44mag, it was not over heavy but I was finding I was getting sore hip joints, and this morning they are super sore,
Could this be a fitting issue or do I just need a spoonful on cement and harden up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ Buck

WKR
If you didn’t have a lot of weight then I would imagine it’s not a fit issue, but could be a combo of both.

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
I find that if I have the hip belt firm it hurts my hip joints, so I am not sure if I have it to high/low. How firm is it meant to be?

WKR
Where do you mean exactly when you say "hip joint". Front? Back? Side?

Serious question.

The pack should be nowhere near contacting your hip.

tdot

WKR
When was the last time you wore a pack? Are you in the gym often or otherwise active? It might just be muscle fatigue or you may need to stretch.

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
So to clarify it is sore where my legs join my pelvis, in my groin and on the outside of my legs,
When I am using my pack if I have the belt firm I can feel it in my groin (pelvis/leg joint) even when just starting out.
I did find that the lumber pad was big so I removed the foam and replaced it with some a bit thinner, could that be the problem, or lumber pad is not super important.
I live on a station (ranch) so fairly active, and while I don’t go to a gym as such usually do some sort of exercise most mornings before breakfast.

LaHunter

WKR
your soreness is a result of not being in good pack rucking condition. Keep training and the soreness should go away.

If you are 'feeling it' in your groin area when you tighten up your pack waist belt, you likely have it too low.

Rob5589

WKR
You shouldn't be feeling it in your groin or pelvis. The belt should sit on top of your hip bones.

OP
B

B.Hill

FNG
Cheers thanks for the info guys, I think by the sound of it I am wearing it to low I’m heading back out tomorrow so will try it out a bit higher

*zap*

WKR
The center line of the hip belt should be on your iliac crest, find your iliac crest and adjust the shoulder straps accordingly.

LJ Buck

WKR
Inner groin and outside hip pain in your hip flexor. Look up stretches for it.

Like you said, harden up. Get stronger and do regular hip flexor stretches and the pain you described should start going away.

Billinsd

WKR
How old are you? I'm 57 and have hip arthritis in my right hip. There's lots of exercises to strengthen your hips. A great one someone showed me was to sit and cross my sore hip leg and lean forward. Good luck Bill

If it's your first week expect pain. gets easier every week thereafter just stick to it.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have this same issue from time to time. I’m able to relieve it by using a small foam ball to massage the deep tissue and ligaments. Driving for long periods without cruise control sets off this same thing for me.