Sore Shoulder - Archery. I have a hunt on Tuesday and want to keep pulling.

Hi Archers,

I’ve been pulling a lot more arrows this year. Going deep into my practice. Problem - I’ve got a burn in my lead or front shoulder. It’s ok working through the reps. I shoot a Matthews Halon 6 at 70lbs. I changed up how I draw this year, pulling directly across my face to come into my sight picture quickly (a technique I grabbed from a Mattherws Pro).

i have not had the problem before. Now with COVID, I’ve missed a lot of time at the gym which keeps my shoulders tight.

Icing now after a good workout today. Any suggestions? I was going to do a long session at the range before my hunt. Like 3 or 4 hrs. What’s the best go for 1. Getting reps (a lot of shots) 2. Keeping the shoulder fresh 🤔

def90

WKR
Should probably back off your shooting a bit, it’s not like if you are shooting well that if you shoot until your shoulder falls apart you will shoot even better.

I look at in the way that the first arrow I shoot of the day is what matters most. I will then shoot a few dozen arrows and if I start falling apart I just stop. If you are getting fatigued and you are forcing your way through it that’s not “getting better”.

MattB

WKR
Unless you are new to the sport, fewer better arrows is the way to go. No reason to spend 3-4 hours at the range, especially if shooting is causing you pain. That can lead to bad arrows which can lead to bad habits.

Drenalin

WKR
Agree with above, just shoot a few for confidence sake, then rest that shoulder.

OP
ArrowFlight
Unless you are new to the sport, fewer better arrows is the way to go. No reason to spend 3-4 hours at the range, especially if shooting is causing you pain. That can lead to bad arrows which lead to bad habits.
No,
I’m feeling good for sure. Just want to close on whatever comes up during my hunt.

I’ll ice up and focus on a few arrows at a few different distances.

Rob5589

WKR
That close to a hunt I am all about a hunting shot; various odd distances and hunting shot positions. I want every one in the kill zone. I may spend 60-90 mins and only take 20-25 shots.

If your shoulder is beat up, a bunch of reps surely isn't going to help.

OP
ArrowFlight
Agree with above, just shoot a few for confidence sake, then rest that shoulder.
Sweet, good info for sure.

My first shots are looking good.
That close to a hunt I am all about a hunting shot; various odd distances and hunting shot positions. I want every one in the kill zone. I may spend 60-90 mins and only take 20-25 shots.

If your shoulder is beat up, a bunch of reps surely isn't going to help.
Nice,

I like the thought process. I’ll hit a few ranges different set up shots and go for the close.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nobody wants to back off due to injury before a hunt but it sure beats pushing to the point of long term injury.

A few years ago I was getting ready for a sheep hunt, I started getting planter fasciitis but didnt want to rest so stupidly, I pushed on with the hill sprints, jump rope etc....in the end, the hunt was painful and the PF took well over a year to clear up. Had I backed off for a few weeks and worked on stretching etc, I bet I would have fared better.

OP
ArrowFlight
Nobody wants to back off due to injury before a hunt but it sure beats pushing to the point of long term injury.

A few years ago I was getting ready for a sheep hunt, I started getting planter fasciitis but didnt want to rest so stupidly, I pushed on with the hill sprints, jump rope etc....in the end, the hunt was painful and the PF took well over a year to clear up. Had I backed off for a few weeks and worked on stretching etc, I bet I would have fared better.
Noted ....

Wrench

WKR
You might consider listening to tom clum on YouTube or podcasts. He's a high level archery coach and can help diagnose your form issues. Bad form can tear up even the strongest men.

OP
ArrowFlight
That’s great, there’s quite a bit of guys out there that don’t describe the mechanics well in terms of daily reps and shooting.
Really appreciate this lead, I look forward to reviewing what he’s put out.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I never go to the gym, so I don’t get sore if I don’t.
That said, I’d think it was more that you “changed how you draw” without enough time to build into it or adjust, or whatever works for the Matthews pro doesn’t work with you...

Yeup, look at Tom Clum’s bow shoulder tutorial if you can. It takes muscle mostly out of the equation. It’s a game changer!

My wife is a PT and had a patient this week with your same problem (he’s hunting this weekend). She has participated in Tom’s Solid Archery Mechanics with me. Her patient though he had great alignment and shoulder placement and she opened his eyes to the contrary real quick!

WCB

WKR
Quit shooting as much in one session. Take days off and concentrate on few good reps. Keep your shoulder fresh.

Why deal with a sore shoulder when you know what the cause is?

Hi Archers,

I’ve been pulling a lot more arrows this year. Going deep into my practice. Problem - I’ve got a burn in my lead or front shoulder. It’s ok working through the reps. I shoot a Matthews Halon 6 at 70lbs. I changed up how I draw this year, pulling directly across my face to come into my sight picture quickly (a technique I grabbed from a Mattherws Pro).

i have not had the problem before. Now with COVID, I’ve missed a lot of time at the gym which keeps my shoulders tight.

Icing now after a good workout today. Any suggestions? I was going to do a long session at the range before my hunt. Like 3 or 4 hrs. What’s the best go for 1. Getting reps (a lot of shots) 2. Keeping the shoulder fresh 🤔
I had issues with my shoulder about two weeks before archery season opener this year out of nowhere! I’d been shooting 4-5 days a week and doing shoulder strengthening at the gym twice a week. I ended up having to turn down the draw weight because of the soreness, but I keep rehabbing it with light weights and resistance bands! I really like to do a circuit of exercises from Archery.Strong on Instagram before I start any arm workouts! They are mostly resistance bands and light weights, but I found the repetition really helped ease the pain I was having.

OP
ArrowFlight
I was referred to you tube bow mechanics guys.

I’m going to check him out and I think I will change up my draw for a while.

Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ArrowFlight
Yeup, look at Tom Clum’s bow shoulder tutorial if you can. It takes muscle mostly out of the equation. It’s a game changer!

My wife is a PT and had a patient this week with your same problem (he’s hunting this weekend). She has participated in Tom’s Solid Archery Mechanics with me. Her patient though he had great alignment and shoulder placement and she opened his eyes to the contrary real quick!

Ok,

I’ve learned a lot already. I know I changed how I draw and it was giving me some pain for time. I used to put a lot more of my draw through my back and lats.

This new way of pulling across my face torques my shoulder a lot more.

I’ll totally take a look at Tom Clum’s bow shoulder. Thank you for the recommendation on that. I’m glad to know there is a way to work out of it.

Perfect info? Question - does your wife work online. Would she be able to set up a program for me.

I have a friend that is a chiropractor and CrossFit buddy. He’s going to look at it today and could maybe - professionally write something up?

LMK?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk