Sore Shoulder - Archery. I have a hunt on Tuesday and want to keep pulling.

GueroUlt

FNG
I’ve been shooting my bow to get ready for December and have begun warming up my shoulders before I shoot. Just a simple resistance band works. Just like when you work out at the gym you should be warming up! Has helped me tremendously

Last edited:
Shoulder health is #1 for an archer and your body is telling you to take a break and you should listen.

Practice a few shots every day with your hunting stuff on and odd angles at different distances. Give your shoulder time to heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Archers,

I’ve been pulling a lot more arrows this year. Going deep into my practice. Problem - I’ve got a burn in my lead or front shoulder. It’s ok working through the reps. I shoot a Matthews Halon 6 at 70lbs. I changed up how I draw this year, pulling directly across my face to come into my sight picture quickly (a technique I grabbed from a Mattherws Pro).

i have not had the problem before. Now with COVID, I’ve missed a lot of time at the gym which keeps my shoulders tight.

Icing now after a good workout today. Any suggestions? I was going to do a long session at the range before my hunt. Like 3 or 4 hrs. What’s the best go for 1. Getting reps (a lot of shots) 2. Keeping the shoulder fresh 🤔

Keep it fresh!!! No reason to push it now with the hunt so close. The last few days of hard shooting won't gain you anything.

OP
ArrowFlight
I’ve been shooting my bow to get ready for December and have begun warming up my shoulders before I shoot. Just a suñimpoe resistance band works. Just like when you work out at the gym you should be warming up! Has helped me tremendously

OP
ArrowFlight

That’s a super good idea.

I like the warm up idea for sure. Totally makes sense.

I think I’ll get a rowing machine. We would always row 1000 meters at CrossFit before doing anything, even our warm ups.

OP
ArrowFlight
Hey All,

Hunt was a success. Super good results
f5c5e85d8c0d0f60ddf359aa5deb4535.jpg

Hey All,

Hunt was a success. Super good results
f5c5e85d8c0d0f60ddf359aa5deb4535.jpg

Outstanding!

I know its a bit late to the thread but I feel like a well rested body and especially shoulders after putting in a lot of work feels great. Sometimes giving your body a few days with minimal shooting does wonder for your posture, your ability to hold, and your ability to get your shot to break with much less effort.

I started shooting a silverback a couple years ago for the reason that it really helped me identify when I was tired and when I needed to stop. I had no idea how poor my form was getting when I got tired. Have you thought about switching release aids to something tension based? It may help you focus your shooting a bit more on being as close to perfect as possible.

OP
ArrowFlight
Outstanding!

I know its a bit late to the thread but I feel like a well rested body and especially shoulders after putting in a lot of work feels great. Sometimes giving your body a few days with minimal shooting does wonder for your posture, your ability to hold, and your ability to get your shot to break with much less effort.

I started shooting a silverback a couple years ago for the reason that it really helped me identify when I was tired and when I needed to stop. I had no idea how poor my form was getting when I got tired. Have you thought about switching release aids to something tension based? It may help you focus your shooting a bit more on being as close to perfect as possible.

Sweet 805,

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, I took it super easy on the shoulder and focused on other items. Shooting wise, I bought “The Hinge,” release from Ultraview and heard super good things about it.

Release wise, I have no idea what mechanics I should have for shooting. I had some arrows fly off my release “early - mid draw,” and stopped trusting the release a bit.

The hinge release sits in my car and I have not found the discipline to start using it more.

You bring up good info about using the right mechanics. I think this is the way to go. As well knowing my shots more.

Do you have any references for shooting hinge releases. I’m looking for a full countdown I should work through when pulling to draw. It’s way different and I’ve had some “good,” and some “super awkward,” shots.

Really want to get that release dialed.

Sweet 805,

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, I took it super easy on the shoulder and focused on other items. Shooting wise, I bought “The Hinge,” release from Ultraview and heard super good things about it.

Release wise, I have no idea what mechanics I should have for shooting. I had some arrows fly off my release “early - mid draw,” and stopped trusting the release a bit.

The hinge release sits in my car and I have not found the discipline to start using it more.

You bring up good info about using the right mechanics. I think this is the way to go. As well knowing my shots more.

Do you have any references for shooting hinge releases. I’m looking for a full countdown I should work through when pulling to draw. It’s way different and I’ve had some “good,” and some “super awkward,” shots.

Really want to get that release dialed.

Good on you for giving it a shot. Keep in mind that it is a definite "process." You will see tremendous gains, only to have them go away and then you'll have to work to figure it out again. The biggest advice (others can chime in and I'm sure will disagree) is sticking with a release for a while...through the thick and thin. A lot of people figure the mechanics of a release, think they are "fixed" and then move back to smashing the trigger on something else. I would look at several of the videos that Dudley has on his youtube channel as well as his website. He goes over a hinge extensively and why that is beneficial. His podcast also has several episodes where this is discussed. I have no idea what your hunt plans are but if you have a few months (for me this is after AZ mule deer in Jan) to really really work on your shot, then that is helpful. The more time you really have to go slow, work on mechanics and the "process", the better foundation you will have later in the shooting season as it gets closer to hunting season. I bought a release aid from dudley's website, there are a lot of similar trainers out there, where its basically a string and a wooden grip. It allows you to work on the fundamentals of your shot without a bow going off. This was incredibly helpful.

Keep after it and be patient.

OP
ArrowFlight
Good on you for giving it a shot. Keep in mind that it is a definite "process." You will see tremendous gains, only to have them go away and then you'll have to work to figure it out again. The biggest advice (others can chime in and I'm sure will disagree) is sticking with a release for a while...through the thick and thin. A lot of people figure the mechanics of a release, think they are "fixed" and then move back to smashing the trigger on something else. I would look at several of the videos that Dudley has on his youtube channel as well as his website. He goes over a hinge extensively and why that is beneficial. His podcast also has several episodes where this is discussed. I have no idea what your hunt plans are but if you have a few months (for me this is after AZ mule deer in Jan) to really really work on your shot, then that is helpful. The more time you really have to go slow, work on mechanics and the "process", the better foundation you will have later in the shooting season as it gets closer to hunting season. I bought a release aid from dudley's website, there are a lot of similar trainers out there, where its basically a string and a wooden grip. It allows you to work on the fundamentals of your shot without a bow going off. This was incredibly helpful.

Keep after it and be patient.
That’s killer. My shoulder is feeling way better. I have a few hunts to close out. I’ll start with the shot rained for now to get comfortable.
I checked into some of the items from Dudd for hinge release and will use the footnotes you provided here to focus on the craft of hinge style of shooting. Shot training makes sense. Getting comfortable and working the reps and envisioning the draw and release cycle. Seems important. Noted, I’ll look up the podcasts you’ve mentioned. Good info, thank you. It’s all for respect of the animals. Good kills - every time. 🤜🏽🤛🏽🌌🏹
Thx