Soreness in shoulders and back.

ahatclif

FNG
I recently bought a 2015 Exo 3500. I have been doing some training work with about 70 pounds. I live in Nebraska so a little bit of hill work but also a lot of flat land. On my first two tries I had to make some adjustments to where I was carrying the load and the figuring out how much to tighten the belt.

On my most recent hike, everything seemed to be going well but I noticed a lot more fatigue in my trap muscles and had next-day soreness in my shoulders and lats. I should add that I used trekking poles on the last hike and was pretty fatigued from a leg workout the day before. Is the trap/lat soreness indicative of any issues with my pack setup or more likely due to not being used to the trekking poles?

Thanks.

Daniel_M

WKR
I'm no expert but it sounds like normal shoulder fatigue based on how much load is balanced between the hips and shoulders, providing the pack is adjusted properly. I've been training several days a week with a 40# pack and my shoulders/traps are sore as well.

OP
A

ahatclif

FNG
Thanks Daniel. I hadn't noticed it as much earlier but I was also dealing with load issues that were occupying most of my thoughts. I think some weight-training the day before was at least a contributing factor.

oldgoat

WKR
Post a good close pic of your pack on your shoulder. And also one of the whole pack on your body. Give the experts on here a better idea what to tell you

Daniel_M

WKR
Thanks Daniel. I hadn't noticed it as much earlier but I was also dealing with load issues that were occupying most of my thoughts. I think some weight-training the day before was at least a contributing factor.

Yesterday was back day in the gym with some mixed deadlifts...4.5 mile round trip vertical hike w/ 40#...so I feel the pain today. I woke up with sore shoulder blades and traps.

In the long game, you'll get that beastmode readiness when it's time to pack a load.

OP
A

ahatclif

FNG
I'll try to remember to take some pictures the next time I am loaded up. I'm not in mountain athlete shape. I am more in soft flat-lander shape. Probably a combination of a lot of things but I think the trekking poles may have contributed too.

I was just trying to make sure I wasn't making some kind of obvious mistake that would have burdened my traps more.

Thanks again.

I stated occasional loaded pack hikes in December. Started religiously in February. I went for a solid month and a half with no trekking poles. The first couple times using them, my forearms and lats were sore. So, I'm guessing you are correct in they contributed to yours being sore. God Bless

I'd stick to 40#'s until the pack is dialed in and starts to feel like your carrying 20#'s. Unless you've been regularly carrying 70#'s in another pack it'd be pretty hard to figure out if it's the pack or the weight causing the problem.