Sorting Brass question for seasoned LR reloaders

BuckSnort

WKR
So. I have never done much sorting of brass by weight but now that I have gotten into shooting longer range I figured I'd start..

A couple things...

I know Hornady brass is not the best but I have 460 rounds (once fired factory) and it's what I've got so I figure if It works for a few loadings I'll use it and then shitcan it for better brass..

Rifle is a Tikka T3x Superlite 6.5CM and It was shooting pretty damn good out to 860 yards with the factory 147 ELDM...

Now I know the accurate way to measure and sort brass is by case volume and not weighing the brass but today I was just screwing around and weighed 300 cases.. I was really surprised how much of a difference they had... Up to 12.3 grains difference in ES...

The factory rounds seem to hold 1 MOA out to 860... So I guess my question is Have any of you done any real world testing to see how much case weight effects POI at ranges out to 800-1000 yards?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tested it at distance but I was fighting accuracy in one of my rifles and started weighing the brass. I think it was 400 rounds of Nosler 270 Win brass that I had fireformed for my 6.5-06 AI. I ended up splitting the brass info groups that were all within 10 grains of each other and my groups and velocity tightened up. I don't have saved data on exactly how much difference it made but it was enough that I was happy with the results.

I haven't tested it at distance but I was fighting accuracy in one of my rifles and started weighing the brass. I think it was 400 rounds of Nosler 270 Win brass that I had fireformed for my 6.5-06 AI. I ended up splitting the brass info groups that were all within 10 grains of each other and my groups and velocity tightened up. I don't have saved data on exactly how much difference it made but it was enough that I was happy with the results.

I have had a similar experience weight sorting Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass and noticed more consistent velocities with lower ES/SD in the weight-sorted loads versus non weight sorted.

rayporter

WKR
many of us weigh and sort brass. Ron Hohen of Hohen sales used to weigh brass and sell it in pre weighed batches. sadly Ron is no longer with us.
some weigh and sort bullets and primers.
i have proved to myself more than once weighing bullets is a waste of time.

lots of that variation will disappear when you find good brass.

COOPDUCK

FNG
Wow that seems like a big spread, I just bought a box of 50, 338 win mag brass from ADG. Weighed all, ES was less than 3, and once I called out just a few outliers I’ll foul with, ES was within 2 grains.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I haven’t seen much difference in weighing brass. Weighing bullets, on the other hand, has proven to be a game changer.