sorting fired brass, how important?

Blaw

WKR
just wondering how important this actually is, I am looking for hunting size groups out to 400yrds max.

lets say 1.5 MOA groups

I have been doing it so far but feel like it may not be worth it since I am not looking for a 1/4" gun

Thanks all!

My long range rifles (over 800 yards or so) are basically only target rifles, as I don't hunt at those ranges. Those get brass that is well tracked. The hunting guns get mixed headstamp brass that is all trimmed and camfered to length. I typically can get under .75" out of a hunting gun with mixed brass. It trips my OCD a bit when there is nickel and brass mixed together though.

Sorting by what?

^this.

I’m not going to mix 300 WM Bertram and Norma brass if one has 87.5 gr capacity and the other has 95 gr regardless of what precision you are looking for. Mixing 3x fired with 4x fire lapua or not weight sorting.. yeah, who cares for hunting inside 400 yards.

brn2hnt

WKR
Have never sorted by weight, but I also only use one brand per gun. Mixing Mfg is just dangerous.

With the current recipe it’s a .5MOA practice gun out to 1,000ish, opens up a bit more as field shooting positions and wind are always worse than the range for me.

Long story short, I’ve never seen the need, especially since .5 is plenty for me and I’m just doing this for fun. Weight sorting brass is the antithesis of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t sort by weight or headstamp and the accuracy is just as excellent. Reloading is only as hard as you make it.