Sottopper/bestop for mobile camping

satchamo

WKR
Just picked up a 21 f150. Planning on going OTC in CO (reluctantly) as I wasn’t able to draw anywhere. I’m worried the crowds might be out of control this year so I want to be mobile in my setup and not stuck at a base camp.

This is why I’m looking at a softopper and building out a rack inside that I could sleep on. I’ll likely pick up their tent add on as I have a 5.5 bed and I’m 6’4”. I’ve considered hard toppers but I’m not a fan of having one permanently on my truck and I don’t have a great place to store one if I was to remove it.

So with the softopper - The issue is their customer service seems non existent. They don’t answer calls, they don’t answer emails…. Makes me hesitant to dive in and order $1000 when I can’t even talk to another human. I’m also a bit concerned I may not even get it if I order now….

Has anyone else ordered or used their products? Do you like? Is there another alternative I should consider?

I've had a softopper on my tacoma for 6 years now. Love it. Can put it on the truck by myself in 5 minutes. I've had fiberglass shells in the past and I wouldn't go back. Hope that helps.

TheTone

WKR
How does the softtopper handle snow? I’m not thinking extended snow load, more just snow(occasionally heavy) coming down while driving?

Fatcamp

WKR
Dang. Product looks great but I don't think I've ever seen worse reviews for customer service. Cool that they don't delete them and that the people who get them are satisfied.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Dang. Product looks great but I don't think I've ever seen worse reviews for customer service. Cool that they don't delete them and that the people who get them are satisfied.

Yeah I called 2-3 times for 3 days straight last week and couldn’t get a human to answer the phone. I have no idea how they run a business that way. But they have the market cornered…. If I could find something similar from somewhere else I’d definitely bite.

Vandy321

WKR
If you only need it for a hunt...just sleep in the back of your truck. You can rig up a tarp to cover you a variety of ways and be just as mobile as with a topper for about $50.

IMO, softopper is a waste of $$ for your needs. Not sealed off from the elements, not dust proof, not thief proof, etc. For $800-$1000 it seemed like more of a PITA than anything else.

Does setting up a tent really take that more time than getting camp set up inside a softopper? It sounds to me more that you want to justify the purchase of a softopper, in which case if you want it for other reasons, by all means. But I think you can be just as comfortable and mobile with a DIY tarp setup or a tent..

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been eyeing the Gazelle tents, set up like a double bull blind which takes me about 10 seconds. Will take longer to get it out of the truck and un packed than setting it up!

Wellsdw

WKR
Drove damn near cross country with mine. Nc-wy, 12 hours in rain. Bone dry. Buddy slept in back used as antelope camp beside busy dirt road. Minimal dust. Security…. If security is a concern, glass is not anymore secure than a topper. I love mine, and got great customer service last summer but that could have changed. Gave a military first responder discount

wapitibob

WKR
Instead of if worried about keeping contents safe, they fold up and sit vertical at the back of the cab. Camping in that short bed will be an issue, I'm 6'3 and it'd be cramped in my 6'5 long bed f-150.

Interesting. I had some questions before ordering. Called and spoked to a person and also got email responses. This was in May. I’m assuming Bestop makes an F150 cover so you can order from them (though I think I recall seeing they are the same company now).

Full disclosure, I love mine. Wish I bought it 8 years ago.

As far as what you’re using it for, I’m not sure it’s the best option. You’re simply too tall to sleep with the tailgate closed so as you stated, you need to get the tent kit. Those look only slightly quicker to setup than a small ground tent, and you’re paying significantly more when it’s all said and done. If you’re determined to camp on/in the truck, one of those rooftop tents on a bar system might be more efficient but also very pricey.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Interesting. I had some questions before ordering. Called and spoked to a person and also got email responses. This was in May. I’m assuming Bestop makes an F150 cover so you can order from them (though I think I recall seeing they are the same company now).

Full disclosure, I love mine. Wish I bought it 8 years ago.

As far as what you’re using it for, I’m not sure it’s the best option. You’re simply too tall to sleep with the tailgate closed so as you stated, you need to get the tent kit. Those look only slightly quicker to setup than a small ground tent, and you’re paying significantly more when it’s all said and done. If you’re determined to camp on/in the truck, one of those rooftop tents on a bar system might be more efficient but also very pricey.

Yeah idk what happened but the CS is horrendous in the last 2 months or so. Friend of mine bought one and had the exact same experience.

Actually found this brand tonight snd I think it might be more the ticket. Wanted a tonneau for 75% of the year and the topper for maybe 25% snd this can do both and is only moderately more expensive than softopper (can be had for $900 from radco with coupon)

Pretty cool feature for hardtops

IMG_0729-2.jpg