Sound Dampening

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a lot of posts and watched many videos on ideas to sound dampen hunting equipment such as climbing sticks and stands and there are several good ideas out there and products to use. I decided to go with the hockey tape as it was readily available and appears to do a pretty good job at dampening the sounds if there is a metal to metal contact. I just have two questions/survey for everyone.

1) Has anyone tried using the heat shrink tape? I put heat shrink tubing on my carabiner's and they are by far the quietest piece I have now because of the rubber. Do you think the rubber smell would create an issue?

2) What do you use on your stands/climbing sticks (hockey tape, stealth strips, buck bumper...etc..)

Thanks!

Btaylor

WKR
Stealth strips and hockey taper for sure work. Not familiar with buck bumper. Shrink tube works great where applicable. Vet wrap actually works very well too but is not super durable but it is cheap to use and you can get it in camo.

LostArra

WKR
My experience is limited to Stealth Strips and they work well on stands and sticks. I also give 5 stars to the guy who sells them. I thought I had made an ordering error because I had not received my order in about two weeks. Owner had shipped it but still apologized and resent my order and they arrived in two days. About a month later I got my original order and he told me to just give them to someone to try.

WCB

WKR
Hockey tape 100%...cheap and does the job...you can get camo hockey tape if you need camo. I played hockey through college so I always had a ton of it and used it on stands starting back in high school (20ish yrs ago). All my climbing sticks have it and then just the main spots on my stands that I seem to always hit.

I actually tried the old heat shrink wrap for hockey stick blades they used to make (maybe they still do). Problem I had was its a tube and my climbing sticks at the time had steps that didnt fold. Hockey tape is just way easier to use and you can always have a roll in your truck ready to use.

I dont think the rubber small would be an issue unless maybe you put it on right before going out. My theory is always, if the deer smell me they are down wind, if they are down wind I screwed up and let them get down wind.

OP
H

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
WCB, how many layers of tape do you use? I used one layer on the sticks and stand and it certainly dampened the sound. I’m sure more layers would increase the dampening quality but not sure it’s necessary. Thanks

wrjam3

FNG
Another vote for hockey tape. Started using this a couple years ago on strategic areas on my hang-on and sticks. Areas that are prone to contact with other parts of the stand, tree, or equipment. I just use the plain black tape, but because it's broken up over various areas of the stand it does a great job of breaking things up and actually adds an element of camouflage to both the stand and sticks.

As far as layers, I strategically added more layers (to my sticks, for example) where they nest with each other to take advantage of the deadening effect of the tape, but also to snug up the fit so there is less movement. Two birds - one stone kind of thing. Worked out really well. One thing I have found is the tape kind of "works in" a bit after some use, so go a little thicker in those spots to allow for that break-in.

A little different, but related - I also ditched all the buckles and started using the buckle-less methods of securing my sticks. Left the buckle on the stand, obviously. Helps with weight and MUCH less sound. Also started using the Nite Ize ties to secure the sticks to my stand. Very secure and no metal or plastic parts to clank around.

OP
H

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for hockey tape. Started using this a couple years ago on strategic areas on my hang-on and sticks. Areas that are prone to contact with other parts of the stand, tree, or equipment. I just use the plain black tape, but because it's broken up over various areas of the stand it does a great job of breaking things up and actually adds an element of camouflage to both the stand and sticks.

As far as layers, I strategically added more layers (to my sticks, for example) where they nest with each other to take advantage of the deadening effect of the tape, but also to snug up the fit so there is less movement. Two birds - one stone kind of thing. Worked out really well. One thing I have found is the tape kind of "works in" a bit after some use, so go a little thicker in those spots to allow for that break-in.

A little different, but related - I also ditched all the buckles and started using the buckle-less methods of securing my sticks. Left the buckle on the stand, obviously. Helps with weight and MUCH less sound. Also started using the Nite Ize ties to secure the sticks to my stand. Very secure and no metal or plastic parts to clank around.

Thanks for that. I also removed the buckles from my sticks and went with the rope mod. As for the remaining buckle on the stand, I am going to wrap that in the bike tire tubing that I read about.

22lr

WKR
I have used rattle can spray on truck bed liner to pretty good effect! Easy to apply, easy to touch up, and if you do a good simple prep it actually lasts for awhile. I use it on all my stand platforms, but dont usually mess with the ladder/steps.

Stealth strips, hockey tape and shrink tubing all works great...dont waste time with slayer tape from lwcg the stuff doesnt adhere that great.

T_Nelomz

FNG
100% LOVE stealth strips. Tried hockey tape and moleskin and other stick on fleece. Stealth strips are super easy to use, they are very durable, and the glue never seems to leech out and get everything sticky like hockey tape eventually does.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Thanks for that. I also removed the buckles from my sticks and went with the rope mod. As for the remaining buckle on the stand, I am going to wrap that in the bike tire tubing that I read about.
Stealth strips actually makes a kit for the buckles on cam straps. They are awesome, I have them on both of my mobile set ups.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
Hockey stick tape. It provides a bit of texture and adds a little extra grip for what otherwise would be just slick metal surfaces.

Stealth Strips. They can be used in place of hockey tape, but I prefer to use the two together. Stealth Strips don’t have the same grip texture that hockey tape has.

Rubberized grip tape (bicycle grip tape or baseball bat grip tape). Baseball grip tape may not be quite as thick or padded as bicycle grip tape, it forms to curved frames a little easier and does a better job of holding its adhesive.