Soundgear vs Walkers

mabrams

FNG
In the market for something other than muffs to wear at the rifle range. I would like to have a hearing enhancement feature so I don't have to be yelled at all the time. Just curious what you guys and gals think of the two mentioned. If there is something else I should be looking at please speak up.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would advise against it especially if you shoot at a busy range or around others shooting breaks. I don’t feel you get the same level of coverage even if the decibel ratings are the same. I’ve used the Walkers and didn’t care for the headache I had at the end of the day.

I personally use MSA Sordins but I’d be happy with just about any muff as long as they have the gel ear cups.

JDM57

FNG
I used the Soundgear Instant Fit this year and was surprised at how comfortable they were as I could wear them all day with no discomfort. They don't really enhance the sound but allow you to hear normal sounds as if you weren't wearing them. Hope that makes sense.

In the market for something other than muffs to wear at the rifle range. I would like to have a hearing enhancement feature so I don't have to be yelled at all the time. Just curious what you guys and gals think of the two mentioned. If there is something else I should be looking at please speak up.
I’ve used Howard leights for over 2 years for the money they are hard to beat. Gel cups are very nice to have as well

Rusty85

WKR
Soundgear are the best I’ve tried so far. Very comfortable, no buzzing or ringing. They work extremely well. I got the industrial version not the hunting version after calling and talking with them. The industrial ones shut off sound at a lower DB.

tdot

WKR
I've had good success for hunting with my electronic ear plugs, where the sound amplification portion of the ear plug is a benefit.

But for the range, I prefer moulded ear plugs that are vented for human speech. They're about 1/4 of the price. More effective, and dont need batteries. Also alot more comfortable (for me). Also, if it's super busy, I toss a set of ear muffs over top if i choose to, and I'm not shooting.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Walkers game ear razor xv. I really like them, the battery lasts longer than I've ever needed on the range or out coyote hunting. You can hear pretty well with them in, the only thing is they can pick up the wind if it's really howling. Found them on sale for $60, money well spent I'd say.

I bought the industrial version soundgear, put the batteries in and there’s a constant buzz. Need to get busy finding out whats causing it.
Just purchased the soundgear shooter model ear buds...out of the box both buds produce the same constant high pitch buzz/ ringing....Emailed them 2x last week...still no response...not looking good so far....

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at getting noise cancellation for wood working, I go out to my shop and get my best earmuffs for when I shoot. Shapers, planers, routers, even the table saw will have my ears ringing all day and night without using earmuffs. What I don't like is not being able to hear someone coming into my shop when I'm working at a bench and can't hear. I sometimes end up taking earmuffs off and forgetting to put them on when firing up a piece of equipment for a quick cut.

Considering the handgun hunting and informal practice shooting when out in the woods I've done with heavy calibers like .44, .41, and .357 I'm surprised I can hear as well as I can. One ear doesn't hear as well as the other.

I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say about good in ear plugs. I need to be able to hear what's going on around me coyote hunting at night so I don't want my hearing blocked.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Walkers like I mentioned above or something similar. They have a small behind the neck "necklace" that houses the battery and controls with retractable ear buds/plugs. That model has Bluetooth if you want to listen to music while in the shop.

I've been looking at getting noise cancellation for wood working, I go out to my shop and get my best earmuffs for when I shoot. Shapers, planers, routers, even the table saw will have my ears ringing all day and night without using earmuffs. What I don't like is not being able to hear someone coming into my shop when I'm working at a bench and can't hear. I sometimes end up taking earmuffs off and forgetting to put them on when firing up a piece of equipment for a quick cut.

Considering the handgun hunting and informal practice shooting when out in the woods I've done with heavy calibers like .44, .41, and .357 I'm surprised I can hear as well as I can. One ear doesn't hear as well as the other.

I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say about good in ear plugs. I need to be able to hear what's going on around me coyote hunting at night so I don't want my hearing blocked.

Just purchased the soundgear shooter model ear buds...out of the box both buds produce the same constant high pitch buzz/ ringing....Emailed them 2x last week...still no response...not looking good so far....

You might call them. I had trouble getting an email response on a pair I had. I eventually just sent them in with a note on what was wrong and they took care of it for me.

They have been very helpful to me. I bought mine directly from Soundgear over 3 years ago.

I also have the Industrial pair, and I don’t like to wear them by themselves when shooting my rifle by myself. I definitely wouldn’t trust them at the range with others shooting, so I wear muffs over them.

Where they work best is when you’re hunting. Would be great for upland bird hunting, dove, or duck hunting where you need to hear birds flying and still have protection from the gun blast.

I have also tried wearing mine when using a gas lawn and leaf blower. Best I could tell it didn’t muffle the sound, so I stick with regular foam plugs for that and shop work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Anyone use the Sound gear custom molded plugs with the impulse filter (non-electronic)?

They say 33 DB reduction, designed for things like gunshots, and conversation can be heard at a reduced level.

Thinking for waterfowl, skeet, but would still layer muffs over for rifle / pistol at the range. Come with a lanyard to leave around your neck when hunting, but you still need to remember to put them in.

Also considering ESP dynamic for hunting, but 25 DB NRR probably isn't enough for a braked rifle and $$$.

You might call them. I had trouble getting an email response on a pair I had. I eventually just sent them in with a note on what was wrong and they took care of it for me.

They have been very helpful to me. I bought mine directly from Soundgear over 3 years ago.

I also have the Industrial pair, and I don’t like to wear them by themselves when shooting my rifle by myself. I definitely wouldn’t trust them at the range with others shooting, so I wear muffs over them.

Where they work best is when you’re hunting. Would be great for upland bird hunting, dove, or duck hunting where you need to hear birds flying and still have protection from the gun blast.

I have also tried wearing mine when using a gas lawn and leaf blower. Best I could tell it didn’t muffle the sound, so I stick with regular foam plugs for that and shop work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So after my 2nd call, they sent me to my local hearing aid shop, and after confusing the lady at the front desk, she took them and sent them off, a week later, a new pair arrived and they seem to work well, (Ill get to use em 2x before the end of bird season)

To follow up. After receiving a new pair (after the first pair were blasting high pitch sound), they worked for all of 12 hours before one developed a white/noise/ feedback type of sound. Really wanted to like them for bird hunting...ended up sending them back and bought an $80 walker ear muff.... aside from some ear sweat...they work fine.