Source for gun value other than Gun Broker and thoughts on selling guns you had to have but don't use.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw a similar post a couple of years back but thought I would ask to see if there are any newer sources to identify a reasonable value/price for selling guns. I have a couple of gunsmiths that will put in their shops and take 10% but I am not sure that is the best route. I have not sold a firearms in years and the last one I sold I did so on Kifaru's forum.

Also -and I know this is a bit of a silly question-how do you finally decide to sell a firearm that was so desirable to you before? I have a couple that I haven't used in many years and I see no logical reason to keep them. I am not a collector and will not pass these on to anyone but I am torn between keeping or selling.

Case in point-I bought a Kimber Montana 8400 in 338 WM because I "had to have it". Took it on one elk hunt and killed one elk. Since that time I have carried a different gun and don't see using the 338 any time in the future. The 338 has stout recoil and frankly is overkill for the majority of my hunting and I logically see the point of selling. Part of me however says to keep it forever.

I tried to follow the philosophy of not buying new outdoor equipment unless I sell something and call the new item a replacement but I hard a hard time not being somewhat of a hoarder. Same problem with fly fishing stuff that only gathers dust nowadays.

Your thoughts?

That Kimber is worth at least $250... let me know where to send the check. :)

As far as finding prices gun broker is ok. But really they don’t depreciate much in value. For modern guns unless they are beat up the value will not be too far from what you paid originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
Gun broker completed auctions
I sold roughly 25k in guns I dont use. (Paid off other loans)

Kahuna

FNG
I was so frustrated by Armslist ads with ridiculous pricing that I had a little rant on there. Copied below as maybe relevant.

"Here beginneth the lesson...

What you paid for an item has little relevance to its current market value.

To establish a reasonable price for your item for sale:

1. If your item is in current production:
-Go to one or all of the following sites:
gun.deals
gunwatcher.com
wikiarms.com
-Find the best retail price the item is available for
-Subtract 10-20% as a start.
-If your item is damaged, worn, heavily used take off another 10-30%

That is what your item is likely worth.

2. If it is an older item/out of production:
-Go to gunbroker.com
-Click on "Advanced" next to the search box
-Click the "Completed Items" tab
-Search for the item you are looking to sell
-Sort the list by "Bid Count: High to low"
-Find a few instances where the item has ACTUALLY SOLD
-Use an average of those sale prices to price your item
-Take into account damage/wear and adjust prices in accordance

For example:

Your Romeo 1 sight is not worth $375 when it costs $329 brand new from littlecreektrading.com

Your damaged CVA Optima V2 is not worth $260 when a brand new one is $230 from Ngobuyersclub.com

75% of stuff on here is overpriced. Let's clean up our act and make this site more useful."

Gunauction sites. Gunbroker and gunsamerica.

Classifieds here and on similar sites.

I have had good luck buying and selling on gun broker. Make sure you have a dealer willing to handle the transfer and work out the terms in advance.

Not sure where you live but I am a bit off the path so consignment in a gun store isn’t likely to get a lot of traffic. I have bought a ton from my dealer over the years so he is pretty good about giving me value estimates though. I suspect he is also looking at the auction sites too.

ODB

WKR
I call wanting to get rid of unused guns, “That oolllddd fashioned feeling.” I’m trying to do things like most of my African hunting heroes: a small, med, and large bore along with a .22 and shotgun. What the hell else does a fellow need?

I bet I have thirty 22’s. I don’t know how that happened.

The only thing that could possibly be worse is a freaking bass boat.

jspradley

WKR
I'm now at the point where I've pretty much given away a bunch of guns I don't need and taken the loss...

No one ever seems to want to pay what a gun is worth..

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
That kimber is obviously worth 275 not 250..let ME know where to send the money!!

Sites like Gun Broker are real world examples of what something is worth. Make sure you check completed auctions and not just list price. People start high. And then review several to get a feel for actual number. For example if one sold for a lot more but had a high end scope or was in perfect condition it may not be a valid comp for what you are selling

Ucsdryder

WKR
I never planned on selling any guns. I had a few that just sat there with zero chance of being used. I decided to sell them and buy toys I would actually use.