Sourcing considerations - reloading vs factory?

ssramage

FNG
First off, I do not currently reload. I have always bought factory ammo and called it good. Obviously this last year has been difficult and finding any hunting ammo, let alone "premium" ammo is almost non-existent. I'm getting ready to purchase a 7mm-08 and the only ammo I've found is the Hornady American Whitetail (which will probably work fine) so I stocked up.

I remember my dad and grandpa dictating what calibers we used because "you'd always be able to find them at Walmart". I spent a week trying every local gun store last year to find .30-06 ammo... I don't like that feeling.

I don't feel like I shoot enough alone to justify reloading, maybe a couple boxes per year through each rifle. BUT do you feel it easier to source components vs factory ammo? Enough to justify the cost/learning curve of reloading? Or do I source factory stuff when possible, likely paying a premium, and just stock up?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I don't feel like I shoot enough alone to justify reloading, maybe a couple boxes per year through each rifle. BUT do you feel it easier to source components vs factory ammo? Enough to justify the cost/learning curve of reloading? Or do I source factory stuff when possible, likely paying a premium, and just stock up?

Component availability currently is abysmal, which has driven costs up. Primers, which used to be under 3 bucks per hundred/under 30 per 1000. Last I checked a few months ago, primers were 100 bucks per thousand. Bullets are hard to find, ESPECIALLY on shelves at stores. Powders, similar story, there's so many and a narrow band will really be all you need, with them being highly popular powders, finding something that will work easily will be difficult.

Now, this is all speculation based on the last time I looked at pricing and availability, which was 3-6 months ago. Prices could have come down and availability back up. But, that given, getting a solid, affordable single stage, such as the Lee one, and starting with a simple one caliber set up, and slowly piecing everything together wouldn't be a bad idea. I just suggest you look into popular loads and start there because it's well plowed ground, find what powder/bullet combos are common, and see what you can get, then make the decision based on those factors. Basically, if you have the patience to watch components and prices, I still find it highly worth while.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
The days of 'cost savings' from reloading are long past.

I have a friend who is just now buying his reloading kit - he was able to find components for what he wanted to reload. So, it's out there.

Around here, factory ammo is filling the shelves pretty well. Prices are high, but I can buy for any caliber I own.

I would do both. Buy factory when it is there. All the while, buy your reloading stuff - take your time to research and piece together your own kit. Buy components as you see them. Once you start reloading I think you'll enjoy it and know your rifles better.

hodgeman

WKR
If all you want to accomplish is availability, just stock up on factory rounds when you find them.

If you want to drive flexibility and variability in your cartridges...reloading is the only way to go. Currently prices are high and component availability is dismal, but that won't last forever.

At this point, I'm loading for a dozen cartridges...a couple of which are hopeless to find right now. I just spooled up some .308 hunting cartridges for less than $8.00 per box using range pick up brass. Some of the components are 15 years old at this point. A few weeks ago, I loaded up some low recoil .243 rounds for an 8 year old using H4895- perfect performance with almost no recoil. This spring I killed a bear with a hand loaded .300WSM/180AB at full throttle.

Reloading is for the long game.

OP
S

ssramage

FNG
If all you want to accomplish is availability, just stock up on factory rounds when you find them.

If you want to drive flexibility and variability in your cartridges...reloading is the only way to go. Currently prices are high and component availability is dismal, but that won't last forever.

At this point, I'm loading for a dozen cartridges...a couple of which are hopeless to find right now. I just spooled up some .308 hunting cartridges for less than $8.00 per box using range pick up brass. Some of the components are 15 years old at this point. A few weeks ago, I loaded up some low recoil .243 rounds for an 8 year old using H4895- perfect performance with almost no recoil. This spring I killed a bear with a hand loaded .300WSM/180AB at full throttle.

Reloading is for the long game.

That's kind of what I'm running into. I typically hunt with a .25-06 and am adding a 7mm-08 this year as my main rifles. I've got some ammo for both in the safe, but am stuck shooting what's available. It's going to have to be accurate enough to work this year...

In the long run, we have about 6 or so calibers today that we shoot and hunt with between me and my kids. If ammo availability weren't a concern, I'd go out and out and buy a bunch of boxes of various ammo, see what it likes, and then just stock up on it like I usually do. But I can't do that right now without spending a small fortune and tons of time.

I've been thinking reloading (in the long run) will give me the flexibility to shoot the right ammo, regardless of what the market is doing. As long as components can be found and stocked up on.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Factory ammo is easier to come by than components right now, especially primers. Most reload to tailor their loads to their gun. There is also a satisfaction component in rolling your own.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I went the reloading route because I can buy components cheaper and easier than factory ammo loaded in the bullets I want. It has proven to be the right move for me.

Roscoehd

FNG
Factory ammo is easier to come by than components right now, especially primers. Most reload to tailor their loads to their gun. There is also a satisfaction component in rolling your own.
This is what I have been seeing too.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been thinking reloading (in the long run) will give me the flexibility to shoot the right ammo, regardless of what the market is doing. As long as components can be found and stocked up on.
I've been loading for 25 years or so and have seen a few of these component crunches. I tend to buy stock when there's plenty around and not worry about it when events like we're experiencing currently happen.

You used to be able to tune loads for a rifle or get better performance than factory- that's not nearly as true with modern loads but the potential exists. But I really like being able to load stuff that isn't typical. I make practice loads for my S&W 329 that are halfway between weak sauce .44SPEC and wrist breaking full power magnums- you can't buy those anywhere and they make the 329 one of my favorite revolvers.

A big focus lately has been getting kids shooting and reduced loads are perfect for that. You can buy them (or you used to could) but they're simple to load for pennies each and case life is just about indefinite.

I don't remember exactly what all my gear cost, but it's been a great ROI as far as I'm concerned and it's an interesting hobby for the winter time.

I load all my own ammo, allows me too tailor the round too the individual rifle, now with that being said as others have mentioned componets are hard too find but they are out there, second buy all the factory loads for your rifles you can find, Third if you can source a net work of fellow re-loaders, trade componets and pass on info. of found componets, haunt the ranges and gather brass it is amazing that shooters just throw away once fired brass, even if it is not your cal. get it there is someone who needs it and it is a good trading source,The inital start up in needed equipment is a bit pricey especially now but if you get a piece here and there it is not so bad. With the way things seem too be going the factory loadings are going too become even harder too find and the politicians want too regulate sales and amounts you can buy if that happens you will have a edge re-loading your own. Do you save money maybe a bit, but if and when it all goes down the tubes with a bit of investment, planing and preperation you will be still shooting and hunting when others are running around looking for rounds.

Rich M

WKR
I enjoy reloading, its a hobby. Could do everything I do with reloads with factory ammo, just won't get 1 inch shot groups at 225-250 yards w factory ammo - it'll still kill a deer well enough tho.

If you want to shoot, you need ammo. Reload or buy factory is 6 of these and 6 of those. Prices are up, supply down.

Run with what you are comfortable with. The supply and prices may return, but that's a guess and a maybe.

As for me, with supply down and prices up, I cleaned my rifles and hung em up. Will shoot to check zero and for hunting, just not gonna go shoot up a non-replenishable supply at this time. Shame cause I just figured out two 243 loads (sierra pro hunters and Nosler Ps) that I wanted to stock up on some - only have about 100 of each and feel nekked. Those sierra bullets are incredible in what they can do.

I agree with doing both. Shoot what you want (not over the top amount); nothing can replace the actual live fire.

I recently started reloading in the last few months. I spent almost 6 months prior just compiling various components (most of which I did not need) then bartering and trading for things I could use. It was exhausting and somewhat ridiculous but it was really the only way I was able to acquire the things I needed for my 300 WM

Vern400

WKR
Last time I loaded 308 I ran about 500 cartridges. All neck turned, and every process was done with the same settings. I used one jug of powder, primers from one box, bullets from the same lot number, and so on. And I sealed all the bullets and primer pockets. Hitting the same place every time is all about doing everything the same. That's the advantage for me. And I do save money. That's for a hunting rifle. I'll be shooting those for years and years.

And old or mixed components? Load them up with trail boss powder. Shoot subsonic just for the practice. Shooting 1050 fps at 200 yards makes you a better marksman when it counts. And your barrel will last forever...almost. it's so much fun shooting steel that way it'll make you pee.

Mosby

WKR
I no longer reload to save money. I reload to ensure that I will have ammunition for my rifles to shoot and hunt with. I have enough components to last my lifetime with some left over for my son to use for a while.
I don't have the patience to run around looking for a box of ammo to get through the season.

At a minimum, I would buy a Lee Loader kit and have one in each caliber I shoot. My brother has used his for the last 40 years and they cost less than $30. He shoots about a box of shells a year and they work as well as factory ammo. In today's environment, everyone who hunts should learn to reload IMO.

kpk

WKR
When I started shooting 7mm RM (probably close to 20 years ago) it was only about 20 bucks for a box, and could find it anywhere. Easy to justify a box or two a year. I started reloading for 7mm last year after purchasing a new rifle. I was able to source everything except for primers easily. Primers took forever. The only factory ammo I saw was Federal something and it was $60/box.

I reload others calibers for higher volume/accuracy but price/availability were the driving factors for 7mm RM.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I reload for all of the reasons listed, but I disagree that it doesn't save you money. Using current online prices of components to reload 100 rounds for a 7 SAUM here is a quick comparison. (I realize most components are unobtainable right now, I'm just pointing out the significant difference even with inflated prices.)

100pcs Norma brass - $127/(+/-) 8 firings = $15.88/100 rounds
1lb of powder - $40
Berger 180 VLD - $70
Primers - $10
Total cost of 100 rounds - $135.88, or $1.36/round.

Ammo from Midway - $80-112/20 rounds. So $4-5.60/round.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you shoot common cartridges, the only reason to reload is if you really enjoy it. There is no cost savings (probably a huge loss if you value your time) and stuff is just as hard or harder to acquire.

I got into reloading 2-3 years ago and if I’m being 100% honest, it was probably a mistake. I don’t regret it as it made me a better shooter and hunter with a greater understanding of ballistics, but man, I just don’t have the time. What I really do not enjoy is the experimentation and load development process. It’s tedious and takes so much time with trips back and forth to the range to try out what may not even work. I find myself shooting my guns that shoot factory ammo much more than my guns I reload for just because I don’t have time to build more and I’m not in love with the process. If I really enjoyed it, I’d find the time, but I’d rather spend my time in the field and not behind a bench. I have a full time job, a wife and two little kids. Reloading is a retired man’s game, I’m convinced.

Find the factory ammo your gun likes and buy a dozen boxes of it.

JFK

WKR
Don’t do it unless you enjoy the process and generally enjoy tinkering with stuff. For me, it’s fun to load different bullets, get a good a result and then take it hunting. It can be time consuming, and as was said above, if you value your time then there is no savings.

Always picked up an extra pound of powder or box of bullets for the calibers I knew I was going to own and shoot. Early on I thought there was a lot of excess sitting on the shelves in the reloading room. Nowadays, I can make my own ammo for life. A rifle becomes a glorified club if there's nothing to put up the spout.