Sourcing materials- DIY stove build

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I've read so many stove build threads i can't see straight. only thing holding me up now is finding stainless shim stock wider than 12". i prefer have a cylinder stove that is 16-18" deep. does anyone know where i can find some? and titanium is kind of cost prohibitive at this point. thank yall!

I copied the Heineken keg stove thread on here and bought the 3" stove pipe kit from TiGoat. It looks like that's only 12" wide though and it doesn't quite fit inside the keg.

I have seen stainless steel sheets at home Depot but I'm not sure if they had anything lite enough for a stove. You might check for a local metal distributor.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru sells shim stock by the foot but I couldn’t quite figure out the dimensions they were giving me. Both ti and SS. Have to email or call to order. I’ve seen some 24 in wide online before.

looking at mcmaster now...

which stainless should i be looking at? 316, 18-8, 17-4...
That I can't tell you. My only knowledge of stainless is from AG industry. 316 is great for resisting chloride attack from fertilizer :) I'll defer to somebody with better info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i wonder if i should call Ti Goat or another stove maker that sells DIY materials. do you think they would be any help?

renagde

WKR
If you're using stainless just for a stove, the cheapest grade will work. 300 series is all rust resistant, 304 will be cheaper then 316. Only advantage of 316 is it is more resistant to rust in salt water applications, and chemical applications. What thickness are you looking for? It might be cheaper to get someone to laser cut your parts from sheet stock instead of buying shim. I know shim get's really pricey.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i am looking for either .004 or .005. i would like 18" x 36" for stove body and 12" x ~100" for stove pipe

renagde

WKR
.004 is used for the stove pipe, not bodies. Seek Outside uses 30 gauge which is .010 and that's titanium. Titanium has a higher melting point then stainless.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i'm not saying you are wrong but i read probably 30 pages of stove building threads yesterday and everyone used .004 SS or .005 Ti for stove body AND pipe.

renagde

WKR
i'm not saying you are wrong but i read probably 30 pages of stove building threads yesterday and everyone used .004 SS or .005 Ti for stove body AND pipe.

That's news to me but you might be right. I'm to much of a cheap wad to actually buy one and check it out and I have yet to get my hands on someone else's.

I work in a laser cutting shop and I know that .004 and .005 is a pain in the ass to cut. It's not much thicker then heavy duty tin foil. We usually source our shim from Maudlin, Trinity, and Mcmaster. The biggest sheet size I've seen of the .004 and .005 is a 24x24. We've never been able to purchase sheets bigger than that.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
the .004 and .005 comes rolled up, not as a sheet. i think it's typically called shim stock coil? i think you may be thinking about a sturdier stove for maybe a wall tent or something. i'm building a tent that is designed for backpacking- light weight and breaks down and rolls up small enough to throw in a pack, weighing around 3-4 lbs. not really designed for longevity i guess...

i will check out those suppliers you mentioned. thank you for your help!

renagde

WKR
the .004 and .005 comes rolled up, not as a sheet. i think it's typically called shim stock coil? i think you may be thinking about a sturdier stove for maybe a wall tent or something. i'm building a tent that is designed for backpacking- light weight and breaks down and rolls up small enough to throw in a pack, weighing around 3-4 lbs. not really designed for longevity i guess...

i will check out those suppliers you mentioned. thank you for your help!

Coil stock usually maxes out at 12" wide which is why I suggested getting sheet stock. The suppliers I mentioned are the only ones that I know of that carry sheets bigger than 12". Obviously you'll want to buy coil for your stove pipe but for the body if you're looking for 18x36" sheets you'll have to go to a thicker material because the biggest sheet I've ever been able to find is 24x24.

I know which stoves you're talking about, I was just pretty sure that Seek Outside uses 30 gauge, and their's only weigh a few pounds.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought from Maudlin. Best price I could find. 12 in by 100 in of .004 for $60. Free shipping.