Sourcing materials- DIY stove build

I’m in the middle of a DIY stove project as well. I ordered from Lite outdoors for everything except the thicker titanium I needed which came from TMS titanium. LO has the best prices but it’s $20 for shipping although you can request a $10 option that’s not tracked and takes awhile

Also to the earlier discussion on thickness. I think you want something thicker for the ends or top/bottom of the stove depending on your design. Basically you probably want Heavier material involved in the weight bearing parts of the stove, otherwise it will get deformed and not fit well/leak smoke or air. I’m no expert here but some of those threads with guys using all .005” didn’t show longevity of their build beyond a burn or two. lite outdoors uses the thick end plates.Tigoat and seek outside use .020” titanium for rigid parts. Again I’m no expert by any means but trying to learn from the experts so I can make a functional stove

renagde

WKR
I too thought that .005 is far to thin, but now that i think of it, if you do a cylinder stove and overlap at the bottom by 2-3", that might provide enough material to increase longevity.

LO uses .005” for the barrel of the cylinder. Most of the strength/rigidity is coming from the two end plates and titanium rods though.

Edit .005” titanium, not sure about stainless

Last edited:
OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
that's what i love about this big dysfunctional family. there are always folks in the know about things i can only read about.

would i be overthinking it to make the stove body from .005 SS and the pipe from .004 SS? or is there really that much added strength for the price? (i feel like i'm splitting hairs now...)

that's what i love about this big dysfunctional family. there are always folks in the know about things i can only read about.

would i be overthinking it to make the stove body from .005 SS and the pipe from .004 SS? or is there really that much added strength for the price? (i feel like i'm splitting hairs now...)
[/QUOTE

I was going to make an entire stove body from .005” titanium but was told from someone who has made a bunch that it would be too thin for the weight bearing/important parts of the stove. I’m making one like a WiFi for reference. So now I’m using .020” for top and bottom which is what TiGoat uses, and .005” for the body and pipe.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered 302/304. I did a little research and found a post by EdT saying that was fine and 316 wasn’t necessary. Lite outdoors is the Ti source for sure. They also told me they will likely start carrying SS stock because of all the requests but weren’t sure when.

Also, on a different stove I’ve been using 302/304 for pipe for many seasons and it still looks fine. Never used it for a stove body though. My stove body is Ti.

I forget if my stove pipe is .004 or .005 but it glows red hot pretty fast. I would be leery of having a fire sit directly on it. Maybe if there was a grate of expanded metal to keep the fire from directly burning on it.

I have no experience with any other stove though.
67aab83bb3c0b53e2d861073dfc7f23b.jpg
44bcd2d7276ef85eedf70cd66f67ee79.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used .005 stainless for everything and never had problem I did overlap the bottom. I figured I could replace if it didn't work.
53b333b32a2395f0d201df09e85fda82.jpg

I followed bbrown instructions

cvbot

FNG
image2.jpeg

I built this for $125 ish bucks. I just burned it for the first time last night in the back yard. I still need to figure out the best way to put a door on it. I also didn't realize the titanium damper would get hot enough to bend. So far I'm extremely pleased with my attempt at a budget friendly backpacking stove. Only down side is its a little larger to pack than the rollup stoves. We always pack in 5-6 miles and hunt from a base camp so I only have to worry about it during the hike in / out.

cvbot

FNG
I used stainless coil shim from maudlin @0.005 thick for the pipe, and stainless serving/steaming pans from amazon for the body.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Stove, it's cool to see the different shapes you can make with the different serving pans. I agree about them not being as packable but it sure is nice to have a sturdy platform to cook on.