Sous Vide deer loin

Been using sou vide some more lately on longer cooks. Did a 36 hour chuck roast that turned out very good. Thawing out a deer loin for next try just seeing what people like for temps and cook time. Thanks

I typically do an hour and fifteen minutes at 118, and then sear in a cast iron for 2-3 minutes per side, rest for 5 and then slice. Whatever you do, don’t leave it in the sous vide too long. I made that mistake once on antelope back strap and it was complete mush.

Tod osier

WKR
Been using sou vide some more lately on longer cooks. Did a 36 hour chuck roast that turned out very good. Thawing out a deer loin for next try just seeing what people like for temps and cook time. Thanks

we do a couple-three hours at 125 (or 127.5 if the roast is real thick). We do not sear super aggressively, so there is little cooking beyond that. If not seared a 125 roast or loin appears basically rare, almost raw, but warm.

OP
Y
Wife will flip a tit if there is blood on plate so I will probably do 135 and pan sear her chunk a bit more. Have two half pound chucks thawing. Rosemary, butter, garlic and some prime rib seasoning is what I’m thinking. Maybe some juniper berrys if I have some.

Warm water rips the soul out of cooking. Gimme fire any time. I like a good char and working the grill. Skill & a grill for rare or medium...ohhhh yeahhhhh.

005.JPG

IMGP1889.JPG

Whisky

WKR
Warm water rips the soul out of cooking. Gimme fire any time. I like a good char and working the grill. Skill & a grill for rare or medium...ohhhh yeahhhhh.

I used to feel the same way in regards to SV, until very recently. Auodad - which people claim is dog food quality meat. We cooked a backstrap reverse sear on a smoker, and then SV a roast from a rear quarter the same day. The roast was in approx 8 hrs at 125 and seared in a CI pan. It was unanimous, we all liked the roast better. Far more tender. And for the record, Auodad is GREAT tasting meat!

So, last weekend I decided to try SV tri tip for the first time. 5 hrs at 125 and then seared on my Egg over lump and hickory chunks. Hate to say it but it was some of the best tri tip I've cooked. Not nearly as chewy as reverse sear on the smoker, and doing the sear on the Egg over wood fire imparted more than enough smoke flavor in that short period.

In summary - SV definitely has earned it's place with me for certain cuts of meat.

e5b500c859f9f2e3813b38092993b69e.jpg
5cbf0e1b67211040c140911a88e7ce20.jpg

I own a commercial catering company that feeds thousands of people and food safety is priority #1. We tried the SV thing but there are too many horror stories out there. Be aware, you risk getting botulism from sous vide foods because the bacteria that causes the disease, C. botulinum, grows in low oxygen conditions. To prevent it, and other bacteria growth—avoid cooking or storing your food in the danger temperature zone—between 40°F and 140°F—for more than two hours. I recommend anyone playing with SV take the Food Handlers course just so they understand all the risks. SV can be done safely but you must learn how. Me? I'm sticking with fire.

OP
Y
So I chickened out on the SV deer loin, but I made some killer rosemary garlic mashed gators SV. Tried asparagus for the first time and I thing I like it better steamed. Only cooked for 12 min but some where thumb sized. Sliced the loin and tenderizer and battered with Dons Chuckwagon onion batter. No leftovers.

blackdawg

WKR
I own a commercial catering company that feeds thousands of people and food safety is priority #1. We tried the SV thing but there are too many horror stories out there. Be aware, you risk getting botulism from sous vide foods because the bacteria that causes the disease, C. botulinum, grows in low oxygen conditions. To prevent it, and other bacteria growth—avoid cooking or storing your food in the danger temperature zone—between 40°F and 140°F—for more than two hours. I recommend anyone playing with SV take the Food Handlers course just so they understand all the risks. SV can be done safely but you must learn how. Me? I'm sticking with fire.

Do you have a link to course? We have been feasting on SV tough cuts of meats for the last couple years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
129-135, 2-3 hours. Sear and serve. Have tried longer, but have experiences where the texture of the end product is “off”.