Sous vide

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Anova, but the first unit was DOA. Had to wait at least a week for a replacement. They wouldn’t ship the new one until they received the defective one.

I have a number of friends and family with the Anova, both the wifi and bluetooth only models. They work great. It takes some experimenting to get great results though.

Jeffp

FNG
I went with the Yedi. $90 on Amazon and great reviews

Pappys seasoning and a little fresh basil make a great quick and easy rub.

I went joule a while back. It works fine it is $$$ and after a few months, I probably don’t use it all that Mapuche.

I have also grown suspicious of any appliance that requires my phone to work. I have just thrown out too many tech gizmos in the last decade. If I were doing it again I would buy something cheaper like the instapot version.

I went joule a while back. It works fine it is $$$ and after a few months, I probably don’t use it all that Mapuche.

I have also grown suspicious of any appliance that requires my phone to work. I have just thrown out too many tech gizmos in the last decade. If I were doing it again I would buy something cheaper like the instapot version.

Does the Joule require the phone or just allow you to use it if you want? I like the Anova because I can use it with my phone if I want to monitor from another room as it comes up to temp but I can just set it on the unit without ever touching the phone too.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always smoked first for a few hours and then let cool and vacuseal into the sv.

Lots of talk about sv in these forums. Search sous vide brisket and your bound to find something.

TheCougar

WKR
Joule. Get the silicone lid too. Works great when you set it 5 degrees below perfect temp and then sear it quickly on a grill.

Does the Joule require the phone or just allow you to use it if you want? I like the Anova because I can use it with my phone if I want to monitor from another room as it comes up to temp but I can just set it on the unit without ever touching the phone too.

Only uses phone.

Lou2

FNG
I went Anova purely because I could use it as a standalone device. I preferred the size and output of the Joule, but no way did I want something that required me to open up my phone and fiddle around with that every time I turned it on. I second the comment on a silicone lid, I got one that fits around the neck of the Anova and sits on a large stock pot and has worked like a charm. My go to for backstrap and similar (more tender meat, little to no connective tissue) is 130 F for 2 hours. I have done longer cooks to break down tougher cuts, but for those I still much prefer to braise in the oven in a dutch oven, even shank connective tissue turns to jelly after 3 hours.

Scottyboy

WKR
I have been thinking of the joule because of rinella but after reading more here about phone only, very valid point. Sorry Steve, I will likely buy a different flavor

I have a joule and do use it regularly, though I do see the advantage of one that doesn't require a phone to operate. I use a small cooler with a hole drilled in it to keep the temp nice and stable. We use it for all kinds of things from making nacho cheese (seriously good) to par-cooking bacon to break down the connective tissue. It gets used probably 2 times a week, so not every day, but frequently enough that I feel like I'm getting my use out of it. I also use it to do BBQ, specifically pork shoulder and brisket, I'm no pit master but I rarely taste brisket or pork that matches what it can do with a bit of smoke afterwards.

Stalker69

WKR
I must be the odd one here also, I have an Anova WiFi and we have tried all kinds of meals, recipes from various sights and books ( meat various ways) and we just don’t care for it at all. Iam going to just use it to reheat frozen premade meals in freezer bags at camp. Bought a pear burrner, as it was recommended for searing on another sight, it’s now a weed burner.

Yeah. So, sure enough, I went to go use this damn thing. It took about 30 mins between not being able to get it to work and then doing the software and app update to get cooking. Sorta sucks to pay up for something like this and then have it be just a little too smart for its own good. Totally could not have used it if I was not in a place with WiFi.

I have a friend that runs a global consortium on smart gadgets called the internet of things. I think I am going to throat punch him the next time I see him.

If I were buying again, I would get something that had manual controls.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Anova Bluetooth only model and I really like it. I got it 2 years ago on Amazon's Prime day for $30-40 off, so keep an eye out next week. I think Prime day is the 15-16th.

OXN939

WKR
Total sous vide noob here- these pictures are rowdy and you guys make anyone who has never tried it want to learn. Has anyone ever used glass to sous vide? It is evidently an alternative, and I'd love to learn to do this without heating plastic.

Stalker69

WKR
I have an anova, works as it should, but I don’t care for it. Much rather have my meat grilled or cast iron. The sous vide seems to change the texture or something. I’ve tried several recipes that are supposed to be great, bought a pear burner to sear, still, it’s not for me. A lot of people swear by them, i am not one though.