Sous vide

ljalberta

WKR
I went with Anova because they had a 70-90$ off sale last year on Father's day. It's been great. No experience with any other cooker.

Same basic experience for me too. Anova is solid.

Edit: I've also heard good things about the Joule, and they sponsor uncle Steve, so maybe they're the move for a loyal hunter.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Joule. Works great.

I altered the lid on an 8 dollar plastic container to combat evaporation during long cooks.

0c13a44455bc0ef1845426d1f996e2d7.jpg

Mule deer tenders.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Anova...so far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
Step dad has SV1, he uses a lidless cooler for more consistency in temp. Makes some killer meat with it.
Where’d you find a deal on the Joule? Thanks

Bought a Joule on Amazon from the warehouse section for $100. Been happy so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
I have the ANOVA. For me in this case I want as little tech as possible. Turn it on and come back when ready. The Joule need an interface, not that that is necessarily a big deal, but you really just need to turn them on. The ANOVA has done that for me. Having said that, I'd buy based on reliability if there was much of a difference (couldn't discern one before I bought).

They are great and we use ours a lot. For even things like frozen venison burgers and sausages - we use it to thaw and bring to temp then just brown. It is so easy and produces a superior product. We spend every evening in the kitchen and don't go in for gadgets, but that thing is great.

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Anova wi-fi as well. Love it. Haven't gotten too crazy with it but certainly adds another dimension to cooking. However, I do sometimes think it is just today's version of the crockpot for nerds. lol

ljalberta

WKR
I haven't tried the Nano. We use the 2.0. So no wifi, and 800watts. I personally couldn't ever see using the blue tooth or wifi functions, and I've found the 800 watts is more than sufficient for doing 4 large steaks. For me, I'd base my decision on how much I would want to be cooking and at what temperature. But I am far from an expert.

I have been using a Sansaire for 3 years and I like it, but feel there might be better options for durability. It feels flimsy and I did break it when it was about 1 week outside of the original 1 year warranty, but they did right by me and I sent it in for a replacement. I tripped over the power cord and bashed it on the ground, the plastic twist top dial was damaged and after taking it apart I can say it is not sturdily built.

I use a kitchen pot when just making a few steaks for me and the wife. I also have a $15 48qt Iglo "Island breeze" cooler from walmart that cut a hole in the lid on for large cuts and long cooks. I have done 2x full pork loins, full venison hams, full salmon fillets, briskets and other big ass cuts in it. Its pretty awesome and the cooler helps hold heat. Never had any issues with the power of not holding temps with the Sansaire, but there may be better options. I don't see it mentioned very often.

If I was buying one today, I would go with a Joule because they support Rinella and are Pro-Hunting.

danarnold

WKR
I ended up ordering this one, trying to keep it simple was part of my decision making, I read some shitty reviews re: Connectability with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on the other ones discussed here. 2 year warranty

3fa45c09b1b3bb478f5a06c721b0242e.jpg

On guys doing a roast or anything really, how do you know how long to run it?

I have the Anova WiFi. I got it for Christmas this year so I don’t have a ton of time with it. However, I love it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk