Sous Vide?

fmyth

WKR
Take a steak, salt and pepper both sides, put a pat of butter and a sprig of rosemary on it and vac seal it. Toss bag in pot of water w sous vid cooker. Set temp to your desired level and wait 4 hours. Remove steak, sear both sides in a hot skillet with butter. I cook mine at 132 deg. The tougher cuts of steak I'll sous vide longer. I also cook boneless chicken breasts like this but I cook them at 165 deg.

Stalker69

WKR
Man so many people say steaks and everything are great in them. I have tried so many “ best” ways, and I just don’t care for meat done in them. I use mine now at camp.I precook meals at home freeze and re heat all day while we are out in the field and come back to a hot ready meal. Do the same with a crock pot on low. I for one don’t like them, but I got it so I use it but very rarely. And yes I have seared on a hot cast iron skillet, really hot grill, and some swear by searing with a pear burner ( now a weed burner).

wesfromky

WKR
I am a big fan of Sous Vide Q - sous vide the meat, then smoke. Makes it simpler/quicker to get the correct internal temp, but with the smoke flavoring. I also sous vide, refrigerate, then smoke a day or two later. Saves time, and I can have several cuts of meat on the smoker for basically the same time, all while having cooked each one differently.

For venison, I have found shorter cooking times to work better for me. So, backstraps would be 60ish minutes at 128, then smoke of low for an hour, crank up the heat for a few minutes at the end to finish.

Chicken wings cooked sous vide, then smoked are amazing.

OP
Pigdog

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to give the sous vide wings a try. Ive precooked them in a pressure cooker before, but this may have better results.

ahhyut

FNG
What sort of power do they draw? Could I cook via an inverter at camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
What sort of power do they draw? Could I cook via an inverter at camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
750-1,200 watts depending on the model you choose. Unless you have a huge battery bank it's probably best left at home. Most of the time I am cooking from 4 to 12 hours so that would be a lot to ask of a battery/inverter.

tdot

WKR
Venison Osso Bucco

Freeze the lower portion of both the front and rear legs, dont remove silver skin or otherwise try to trim the legs. Once frozen cut each leg into 4 or 5 pieces, roughly 2" long, this can be done with a handsaw. I try to leave the ends a bit longer as they dont have as much meat. Wash the still frozen meat to remove bone dust. Allow to thaw. Tie each slice with butcher twine. Pat dry. Dust with S&P and flour.

Get some rendered bacon fat in a pan, smoking hot, sear the ends of the meat, and all sides. Set meat to the side.

Saute diced onions in the oil. Toss in thick cut carrot, celery and saute. Toss in some garlic. The moment you can smell the garlic, dump in a can of San Marzano tomatoes and a couple cups of red wine. Let this all simmer together on low for a few minutes then dump in Ziploc Freezer bag. Toss the meat in and some fresh spices, rosemary. Sage, etc.

Cook for 18-24 hours at 180f

Remove the meat with tongs, put in another bag, to go back in the sous vide to keep warm.

Dump all the veggies, etc. Into a big saute pan, also take a couple of the bones out of the meat and carve the bone marrow out. Dump that into the sauce. Simmer at a medium for a bit until it starts to thicken. Then pure to desired chunkiness.

While the sauce is in the pan, boil some pasta. When it is al dente, toss the pasta into the sauce and let it finish in there. This will suck up a bunch of the remaining juice into the pasta and make it mindblowing tasty. (It has to go in before its fully cooked for this to work)

Toss the Venison on top and serve.

This turns one of the worst cuts of meat into one of my favorite dishes.

OP
Pigdog

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Tried the osso bucco and it was amazing! I've done it in the oven before with good results, but the sous vide version turned out great and was much easier. Thanks for the recipe!

Fraulein

FNG
Dude, this sounds crazy. But carrots are absolutely delicious. Look up serious eats carrot recipe. Thank me later
Yes to this. I have done that exact recipe multiple times and they turn out perfect...friends/family think you are a real pro.

SpringTom

FNG
Smoked then sous vide prime beef tri tip..
Smoke on very low heat 160f ish. I use my weber kettle and light a small snake of briquettes with oak chips. Take beefs temp to about 110-115f ish. Remove the tri tip and vacuum seal. Sous vide @135f for 2.5 hours. Remove and chill in ice bath. Lightly sear. Absolute knock out whenever I serve it. The smoke really goes throughout the meat and gives it almost a spice flavor. This makes some insane tacos, sandwiches, on a plate, anyway you want to serve it. The sous vide really gives it a wonderful texture that is actually eaten by people who usually don't like rare meat. Its tough to explain, but its killer.20210704_152913.jpg

Enjoy!

SpringTom

FNG
Sous vide lamb chops..

I'm actually making this tomorrow.

1 pack of lamb chops (either loin or rib chops, also a rack of lamb)
Salt and pepper lamb chops and squeeze in juice of 1 lemon. Add a sprig or 2 of chopped rosemary and a few cloves of garlic to the bag.
Sous vide @131f for 2-3 hours (i usually go 2.5)
Lightly sear.. wow!

So tender, so flavorful, yum!

You are welcome... lol

Sorry, no pictures of this.

SpringTom

FNG
Here is the rack of lamb after a 3 hour bath..

Another wonderful thing about sous vide cooking is that you can pre cook things, and finish them when needed. This is a god send for parties, etc, anything that needs to be flexible.

Tom20210822_161050.jpg