South Africa

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Euros are that expensive? I had no idea and was planning $1200 for a shoulder mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was probably talking about euro+shipping etc. $1200 for just the shoulder mount taxidermy is about average. The taxidermy for a euro/skull bleach should be 1/3 of that.

Sevens

WKR
Been twice, would highly recommend using a travel agent. I've used two different ones, my preferred is Travel With Guns (https://twg.travel/). Patrick handled all my stuff for Zimbabwe in 2018 and all went perfect.

It's one of those things where it doesn't seem necessary until it does. On my first trip I woke up the day of to find my flight was 12 hours delayed, which would make me miss my connecting flight to Mozambique, cost me a day, etc. A call to the agent had everything rerouted in a matter of hours and I arrived on time without issue (went an entirely different route there and left about 6 hours earlier than expected, but got there on time).

Taxidermy I would always recommend sending home to be finished.

Roughout

FNG
If traveling with guns, use an agent. Preferably one that will meet you at gate. JoBurg airport is fantastic. Clearing guns with police, is sketchy your first go.

Depends on your taste for taxidermy, regardless lots of time (prob 6+ months) between when you kill and have to pay shipping and/or dip/pack. To decide what you want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been to and thru South Africa numerous times. Your destination airport makes a lot of difference, so where are you meeting your outfitter? If Johannesburg is your final destination and they outfitter is having you picked up there, then no you don’t need any travel assistance and should just book direct. If you’re flying beyond Johannesburg, then you will need plenty of time between flights. I would give it at least 3 1/2 - 4 hours between flights, especially the first time flying there. As you must clear weapons at the international terminal then go to the domestic terminal re-check in and then go to the firearms station and recheck your weapon. None of it is that difficult, especially since everyone speaks english and can tell you where to go. But it all takes time, and the first time through it is a bit confusing as you won’t know where anything is and will be looking for signs. Where an agent comes in handy is if there are not good connections to your final destination and you have to stay overnight in one of the local safari transit safe houses like Afton, etc

Animals to Hunt. Do some research on African Plainsgame before going and have an idea of what you want. South Africa is a huge country with multiple biospheres. Different areas of the country have better trophy quality of different species generally available. But one of the true gems of the first safari experience is that everything is potentially on the menu. As my Rokslide handle indicates I‘m partial to spiral horns.

Taxidermy & Shipping. I have work done in South Africa and had it shipped home to my taxidermist. I‘m a guy who loves to look at taxidermy and think having any of it done in South Africa is a huge mistake. The tanning and work are nowhere near as good as the average USA work. Discuss taxidermy and contact Fauna & Flora about shipping before you go.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Been across the pond several times (6 total). When by myself or one other person I booked direct. When going with a group or first time SA hunters, using someone like Travel with Gun or Gracie Travel isn't a bad idea. They will take care of SAP for firearms and its a nice piece of mind in case something goes haywire to have a dedicated person to talk with. I good forum for Africa hunting and also travel is accuratereloading.com. Best info from a lot of people that have been there, done that in Africa.

As far as taxidermy you can have work done their or dip and ship. Shipping costs are based on the volume of the box. If you are hunting with friends YOU CAN COMBINE shipments to share the cost. Many times they will tell you its not allowed but it is. If you live near an airport that has USFWS office you can clear the trophies yourself and not use an agent. Cleared all my shipments and that of my friends myself in under one hour each time.

Mojave

WKR
Use a gun agent, i have been an international hunter since 2002.

Mojave

WKR
Here are my thoughts on Africa. Been there a couple of times, made all the rookie mistakes.

1. Shoot as much stuff as you can afford to shoot. Going again is more expensive than one more animal.

2. Tipping is a whole different bag of worms, try to decide what you are going to tip as a group. Don't ask the outfitter or the guide. Just tip 10% of the cost of the safari if you are going to tip. Don't tip the non-white staff without talking to the outfitter or PH. If you spend $5000 on the hunt, give the staff $150 split among the different guys, cleaners, and cooks total. Give the PH $350. Please don't tip more than 20%, we have ruined Africa with tips and it is getting worse. Don't tip knives, gear or anything else. If they get pushy about tips, tell them that you are are uncomfrtable talking about tips.

3. Do not mount anything, just get the skulls sent home. Do not get the skins processed in Africa. They suck at it. If you shoot a 60 inch Kudu or a 30 inch impala, then ok get that mounted. But don't mount everything else. You will go again, it is gets in your blood. No reason to mount a 20 inch impala, when you will shoot a 24 next time.

4. Bring bags of candy to pass out your trackers will love you.

5. If the guide says shoot the 3rd one from the left do it. If you shoot the wrong animal appologize and move on. If you miss or wound and lose an animal pay the fee and move on.

6. All the hookers in Africa have AIDS. There will be hookers in your hotel if you stay at a major place. They will be in the bar. Don't be tempted to bring something home.

7. Bring binoculars, but trust the PH.

8. There is a lot of stupid wood carvings, carved and painted ostrich eggs and tons of other shit to buy. Just leave it there, it will be there next time. You'll have to pay through the nose to get it home.

9. If you are going to wear American style high tech hunting clothing (Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite whatever) don't. Wear simple olive green clothing that is made out of cotton, but bring a winter jacket and polar fleece jacket, gloves and a balaclava or stocking cap. They will iron your clothing and do laundry nightly, so make sure that your synthetic hunting clothes can take an iron if you bring them. That is why I wear cotton.

10. Don't weare gortex mountain hunting boots. Wear uninsulated boots. Unless you are hunting in Kwazulu Natal or on the coast. Not much rain there and your feet will roast.

11. I never wore snake boots, and I don't wear snake boots in here in New Mexico. Some people do.

12. Pick a fixed blade broadhead if you are shooting sticks. Pick a reasonable rifle if you are shooting a gun. 30-06, 300 Win something that doesn't kick you into the next continent. Use tough bullets, they love Swift A-Frames, Nosler Paritiions, X-Bullets, GMX and so on. Don't bring some boutique light for caliber VLD bullet.

13. Bring a big hat, long sleeves and good sunscreen. The sun there is rough.

14. They do get ticks in the bush, spray your boots with anti-tick spray. Permethen or similar.

15. Take a million photos, bring a real camera. Doesn't have to be a digital SLR with 20 lenses. Bring a $250 box camera (point and shoot) and put it on auto. Do not rely on your phone.

16. Don't drink too much booze.

17. The Afrikaaner speaking Boer women all look like models, be prepared for this so you don't stare or try to screw the dudes daughter/wife.

18. Take an ambien for the plane ride over. That way you are refreshed when you get there and can rock on.

19. The heart is between the shoulders. They should show you a diagram to explain this. Order a copy of Dr. Kevin Robertson's Book on African shot placement. You can get the card edition for $25 shipped from Safari Press or Amazon.

20. Have fun, don't worry about your cell phone, family, trophy quality and try to leave the tape measure in the truck and have a good time. If they offer you cull hunts, and you can afford it do it. This is a great way to extend your safari. Or jackals, baboons, monkeys and so on.

Mojave

WKR
Don't bring a tripod, spotting scope, pith helmet, pugaree hat, bowie knife or 20 telephoto lenses.

Bring a pair of 8x42 or 10x42/50 binos and that's it.

Here are my thoughts on Africa. Been there a couple of times, made all the rookie mistakes.

1. Shoot as much stuff as you can afford to shoot. Going again is more expensive than one more animal.

2. Tipping is a whole different bag of worms, try to decide what you are going to tip as a group. Don't ask the outfitter or the guide. Just tip 10% of the cost of the safari if you are going to tip. Don't tip the non-white staff without talking to the outfitter or PH. If you spend $5000 on the hunt, give the staff $150 split among the different guys, cleaners, and cooks total. Give the PH $350. Please don't tip more than 20%, we have ruined Africa with tips and it is getting worse. Don't tip knives, gear or anything else. If they get pushy about tips, tell them that you are are uncomfrtable talking about tips.

3. Do not mount anything, just get the skulls sent home. Do not get the skins processed in Africa. They suck at it. If you shoot a 60 inch Kudu or a 30 inch impala, then ok get that mounted. But don't mount everything else. You will go again, it is gets in your blood. No reason to mount a 20 inch impala, when you will shoot a 24 next time.

4. Bring bags of candy to pass out your trackers will love you.

5. If the guide says shoot the 3rd one from the left do it. If you shoot the wrong animal appologize and move on. If you miss or wound and lose an animal pay the fee and move on.

6. All the hookers in Africa have AIDS. There will be hookers in your hotel if you stay at a major place. They will be in the bar. Don't be tempted to bring something home.

7. Bring binoculars, but trust the PH.

8. There is a lot of stupid wood carvings, carved and painted ostrich eggs and tons of other shit to buy. Just leave it there, it will be there next time. You'll have to pay through the nose to get it home.

9. If you are going to wear American style high tech hunting clothing (Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite whatever) don't. Wear simple olive green clothing that is made out of cotton, but bring a winter jacket and polar fleece jacket, gloves and a balaclava or stocking cap. They will iron your clothing and do laundry nightly, so make sure that your synthetic hunting clothes can take an iron if you bring them. That is why I wear cotton.

10. Don't weare gortex mountain hunting boots. Wear uninsulated boots. Unless you are hunting in Kwazulu Natal or on the coast. Not much rain there and your feet will roast.

11. I never wore snake boots, and I don't wear snake boots in here in New Mexico. Some people do.

12. Pick a fixed blade broadhead if you are shooting sticks. Pick a reasonable rifle if you are shooting a gun. 30-06, 300 Win something that doesn't kick you into the next continent. Use tough bullets, they love Swift A-Frames, Nosler Paritiions, X-Bullets, GMX and so on. Don't bring some boutique light for caliber VLD bullet.

13. Bring a big hat, long sleeves and good sunscreen. The sun there is rough.

14. They do get ticks in the bush, spray your boots with anti-tick spray. Permethen or similar.

15. Take a million photos, bring a real camera. Doesn't have to be a digital SLR with 20 lenses. Bring a $250 box camera (point and shoot) and put it on auto. Do not rely on your phone.

16. Don't drink too much booze.

17. The Afrikaaner speaking Boer women all look like models, be prepared for this so you don't stare or try to screw the dudes daughter/wife.

18. Take an ambien for the plane ride over. That way you are refreshed when you get there and can rock on.

19. The heart is between the shoulders. They should show you a diagram to explain this. Order a copy of Dr. Kevin Robertson's Book on African shot placement. You can get the card edition for $25 shipped from Safari Press or Amazon.

20. Have fun, don't worry about your cell phone, family, trophy quality and try to leave the tape measure in the truck and have a good time. If they offer you cull hunts, and you can afford it do it. This is a great way to extend your safari. Or jackals, baboons, monkeys and so on.
I will add don’t go with a list of animals. Take what the bush gives you. Better off with a budget. I started with a list and quickly threw it out. I knew what each animal cost and waited to see what showed up. And trust me, you never o ow what’s going to step out. I wanted a kudu and a zebra bad. Never even saw a mature kudu or a zebra. But I killed a gemsbok bull that was so old and battle worn it made up for it. And sorry Mojave, you learned about the hookers the hard way😂

Mojave

WKR
Hookers were kind of a shock. I never thought that would be a thing.

They were sitting in the bar with the pimp, all of them were black. My PH told me about them having when he dropped me off. He said, just remember they all have aids, and you'll most likely get stabbed to death or robbed.

Never been anyplace with hookers before I went there. Travelled all over the world, and if they were in the hotel I stayed at I didn't know it.

Just depends on what hotels you are in, is what someone told me.

WCB

WKR
I've always booked my travel myself. The outfitter should help or direct you on the firearm deal. However, if you are not detail oriented or forgetful at all...just pay someone else to do it as it will save headache and frustration in the end. If you are worried about a couple hundred extra bucks...might not want to go to Africa where the paying is done after pulling the trigger...

As a few others have I highly recommend Coppersmith for getting your animals back to the states. Used them from Namibia and also from New Zealand. Super responsive and organized IMO.

Many of the trackers smoke. Most of them smoked hand rolled in newspaper tobacco cigarettes. We brought a couple cases of Marlboros and they smoked those in front of the other trackers like a 16 year old showing off his new car.

As Mojave mentioned, a shopping list is not the best way to hunt. I would print off a price list from the PH if possible and keep it with you. It sort of feels weird if they say "there is a Lekker bull eland" and you don't know if it is a $500 trophy fee or a $14,000 trophy fee.

My first trip they were really weird about saying "don't shoot that one, we will see a bigger one", especially about warthogs for some reason. I came home without a warthog. The way I see it, not very many people in Colorado know how to judge a trophy warthog. On my next trip, I shot the first warthog I was happy with and enjoyed every moment of it.

Learn what the plains game are before you go. Look at photos and videos. The PHs are willing to educate you as well, but it is nice not pointing at every critter and saying "what's that one? how about that one?"

Have fun, and enjoy the trip. Spend a little time away from the camp fire at night. It really is a beautiful place.

Mojave

WKR

He also has a new version of the full book on the same website for $85 or so.

It depends on where you go, but there will be animals that look the same or very similar that are dramatically more expensive.

Bontebok are over $1000-2000, and Blesbok are $350-750 depending on what color they are.

Steenbok are generally $300-600 but a klipspringer is over $1000, and a suni could be $2000. All very similar looking.

This is but one example. There are different kinds of zebras and a Cape Mountain Zebra might be $3000 where a regular Burchell Zebra is 650-1400.

There are different color phases of gnu, springbok, blesbok, gemsbok, impala and probably other things. The color phases cost more. I don't see the point, but some people like shooting all the different color phases.

South Africa is 1.8 times bigger than Texas and there are a ton of different biotopes. Not all animals live in all areas. There are also things that are normal exotics in Texas that are also exotics in South Africa like Scimitar Horned Oryx, Aoudad, Red Deer, Fallow deer, Axis Deer, Barasinga Deer, Sambar deer, Hog deer, Asiatic buffalo, Pere David's deer the list goes on.

Not everything that is native or exotic is importable so ask before you shoot. Black faced impala, brown hyenas, striped hyenas, rhinos, high fence big cats, and some of the exotics are not importable.

They get kind of nuts about rifles, they really like you to bring a rifle you can shoot without a muzzle brake over one that has one. They don't want you to bring a rifle you are afraid of.

There are tons of rules in a variety of African countries that pertain to energy, bullet mass and caliber. So ask that question before you pick an odd ball caliber.

I really enjoyed the birds, I am not a birder, but it was an interesting part of the safari. If you are into birds buy a bird book on Southern Africa and start checking that life list.

Mojave

WKR
Namibia 2005 087.jpg

We had a lot of overcast skies while we were there. Made for less desirable photos, but you can't really do much about that.

Mojave

WKR
Namibia 2005 126.jpg
Take an easy to use camera.

Some times you'll end up with a photo that could have been better with a flash.

My PH had never seen the kind of camera I was using. I did a bad job of explaining to him how to use it.

Result, less than desriable photos. This was about 6pm, get's dark there very quickly.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
The other question on using an agent or not is how many legs or connections do you have to make. If its a direct flight, maybe not. If you have multiple legs with a few friends might make sense in case mr murphy shows up. Others have mentioned some solid travel agents who specialize in travel and hunting in Africa. Enjoy the trip, once you get that dirt on your boots you'll be planning on how to get back.

ryno1

FNG
I just got back from South Africa. Booked with Travel with Guns (actually $50 less than I could book it myself). I paid extra for them to do the paperwork (I will likely do the same next time).

1. Look up the region you're going to and hunt native animals if possible (lower price).
2. It was colder than I thought...take good gloves and a hat.
3. Take a good headlamp (torch).
4. Don't pack too many clothes. They'll do laundry daily.
5. Delta was great to fly with.
6. Rental guns at my outfitter weren't the best, so I'm glad I took a gun.
7. As said before, have an idea of your animals and budget, but take what Africa gives you.
8. Have fun!

2531usmc

WKR
Haha yes you have! You might not have known it, but no doubt you have.
I hunted the Eastern Cape and the hookers were lined up at the highway on ramps. Like Mojave said, they all have AIDS and they line up at the on-ramp in order of how healthy they are. The young, healthy looking girls are closest to the intersection and the older, AIDS ravaged, sickly girls are further down the intersection. This was truly one of the saddest things I ever saw in my life…..a line of human misery