South Book Cliffs November

CorbLand

WKR
I am headed down to the Utah South Book Cliffs in November with a family member that drew a sheep tag. I have driven passed the area once in my life time. Anyone that has been down there, what type of clothing and/or other gear should I make sure that I have? What should one expect as far as weather?

I have all my camping gear squared away so I am not as worried about that. Mostly just looking for the things that I need to make sure that I have in my pack.

I spend quite a bit of time down there in the Books Roadless area, I'd be thinking about lots of layers. Rain, windstopping, puffy. The weather can vary dramatically. When the sun is out, it can be quite comfortable, but if the wind picks up, you'll be scrambling for jackets and something to hide behind. Temps are typically in the 50's during the day and can easily get down into the 20's at night. Good gloves, trekking poles, tripod, good optics. Chains for your vehicle, if it rains or snows a decent amount, many of those roads turn into the worst kind of slippery clay and you can get stuck. Best of luck, it is some stunningly beautiful country in the fall light, you'll want to bring a nice camera if you've got one.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I spend quite a bit of time down there in the Books Roadless area, I'd be thinking about lots of layers. Rain, windstopping, puffy. The weather can vary dramatically. When the sun is out, it can be quite comfortable, but if the wind picks up, you'll be scrambling for jackets and something to hide behind. Temps are typically in the 50's during the day and can easily get down into the 20's at night. Good gloves, trekking poles, tripod, good optics. Chains for your vehicle, if it rains or snows a decent amount, many of those roads turn into the worst kind of slippery clay and you can get stuck. Best of luck, it is some stunningly beautiful country in the fall light, you'll want to bring a nice camera if you've got one.
Thank you much.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
As mentioned chains for your vehicle can be a life saver if it rains on the book cliff roads
The guy that drew the tag will be doing the driving but I will make sure to mention it him. I would imagine he will have some but it’s always good to double check.