South Carolina creek fishing

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone,

I recently moved from CA to SC, and the fishing is obviously super different. It’s darker running water that’s salt. Pretty much the complete opposite of what I’m used to. I’m trying to get a few pointers of fishing the back creeks from the Stono River. My backyard has a creek running through that’s anywhere from 4-10’ deep depending on where you’re at.

I’ve tried, shallow water divers, some chatter baits and some shrimp with no luck.

Using 12’ mono, with standard hooks. If anyone had any pointers or tips I’d greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
cfc706f67b44be833497fb906cc82078.jpg

For reference

You fishing rising or falling tide?...get your binos head down to the closet ramp to where your fishing about an hour before dark...sit in your truck and look at what everybody else is using..binos on rod tips and rigs..also ask a few guys if they caught anything. Usually if they did well they will tell you all about it...No substitute for local knowledge..popping corks for trout and cut bait for reds are a good start...

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
You fishing rising or falling tide?...get your binos head down to the closet ramp to where your fishing about an hour before dark...sit in your truck and look at what everybody else is using..binos on rod tips and rigs..also ask a few guys if they caught anything. Usually if they did well they will tell you all about it...No substitute for local knowledge..popping corks for trout and cut bait for reds are a good start...

It’s a low going to high in the later afternoon around 6:30

I like the last hour of high tide and then an hour or so after it starts falling...but it takes a food source to get them up in them creeks..look for shrimp/crabs and oyster beds..usually creeks are better in the winter/early spring. Water getting to warm by now. Its yak season hit the grass flats.

I run 25lb braid with a flouro leader...hooks depends circles for redfish and wide gaps 2/0 usually for trout.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I like the last hour of high tide and then an hour or so after it starts falling...but it takes a food source to get them up in them creeks..look for shrimp/crabs and oyster beds..usually creeks are better in the winter/early spring. Water getting to warm by now. Its yak season hit the grass flats.

I run 25lb braid with a flouro leader...hooks depends circles for redfish and wide gaps 2/0 usually for trout.

Thank you! I’m still waiting on my truck to get shipped over, so the second it comes in I’ll have to pick one up. I’ve never really sea fished, only fresh water... so this should be an interesting learning curve to say the least.
Maybe I’ll hit the local launch and just start casting under docks, etc.
I need to do some more research and do what you said. Thank you again!

Oregon

WKR
Not all creeks off the stono plugged with fish.
the best way to see what’s in your area is as stated above. Cast a mud minnow. Everything eats a mud minnow.
Buy a mud minnow trap. Put a can of cat food in it.
should give you all the bait you need.
a mud minnow under a cork or on a Carolina rig with 1/4oz weight has caught more fish in tidal SC than anything else

I moved here from San Diego in 1981. Fishing is pretty straight forward. Fish the moving tide. Rising and falling both work. Stick a 3-4 inch chunk of fresh or frozen mullet, or a half a crab with legs scissored off on a Carolina rig with a circle hook (circle hooks only legal hook for Redfish). Put it on the bottom near oysters if you can find them. 3 feet is not too shallow, as long as you are right up to the base of the oysters. Redfish will hook themselves, no need to set the hook. Just reel till the line is tight after they take the bait and pull in your fish. Get a minnow trap. Bread is completely fine as bait. A minnow hooked through the lip and fished the same way will catch Redfish, flounder, other species, and sometimes a trout.

Specifically targeting trout, fish a 1/8 - 1/4 oz red, yellow, or black jig head on 1 - 4 inch rubber grub. Bigger baits catch bigger fish. White, yellow, tan, gray, and chartreuse all work. Throw deep and let it settle to the bottom. Gently pull up a few feet with your rod tip, reeling in a turn, and let it settle to the bottom again. They often hit on the up stroke. Set the hook lightly and reel in your fish. Don't spend more than 10 - 20 minutes in a spot looking for trout. They bite when you find them, and they move as they school.

That will get you started on the creeks. Join CharlestonFishing.com to get a very thorough education on all things fishing in our coastal waters.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Wow, thank you all for all the tips. I’ll have to get out there this weekend and give it a shot. It sounds like it’s all straight forward. Mud minnows, finding food (for them) and a rising or lowering tide is the plan. Thank you all! I’ll post a picture when I get out there and get my firs tone!

Rokbar

WKR
If possible, hire a guide for the day. I don't live to close to the coast, but the best money I spent was to hire a kayak/fishing guide. Very affordable. Now when we go to the beach I take the peddle kayak I bought.
IMG_0817.JPG
This wasn't SC but Florida. Fishing bridge columns on the outgoing tide with live crabs. At the right time of year, I don't see why you couldn't do it on the SC creeks/rivers.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If possible, hire a guide for the day. I don't live to close to the coast, but the best money I spent was to hire a kayak/fishing guide. Very affordable. Now when we go to the beach I take the peddle kayak I bought.
View attachment 190439
This wasn't SC but Florida. Fishing bridge columns on the outgoing tide with live crabs. At the right time of year, I don't see why you couldn't do it on the SC creeks/rivers.

That things a monster! I just need a day of guidance on what to sorta do and I feel like I’d get the hang of it fairly quick. Been watching YouTube videos for the last 3 hours hahah just gained a lot of knowledge from that, now it’s just time to figure out what they bite at what time of year, spots and... we’ll the fun part of something new haha

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Looks like a good time! I’m just trying to figure out if I should spend the money on a kayak or just fish off the banks and see what my luck finds me.

A kayak opens up a whole other world. Totally worth it if you can afford one. I use a Pungo 120 sit-inside because it holds all my stuff and keeps my legs from getting sunburned. Plus it's only 50 pounds.

I especially like throwing top water baits near the docks at sunset when the water is like glass. Trout will hit them like a largemouth bass.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
A kayak opens up a whole other world. Totally worth it if can afford one. I use a Pungo 120 sit inside because it holds all my stuff and keeps my legs from getting sunburned. Plus it's 50 pounds.

I especially like throwing top water baits near the docks at sunset when the water is like glass. Trout will hit them like a largemouth bass.

I fish top water like there’s no tomorrow usually hahaha so I like that. I’m curious, you think I’d be able to get into a 10’ kayak or would I need at least a 11-6 at 6’7 240?

I am 6'3 190 and I have a Lure 10' is a little small on the big water...works great on ponds and lakes but a little chop and wind in the sound can turn into a rodeo quick...I am also 2.5 hrs from the salt so I use it in freshwater way more...your build 12' yak for sure.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I am 6'3 190 and I have a Lure 10' is a little small on the big water...works great on ponds and lakes but a little chop and wind in the sound can turn into a rodeo quick...I am also 2.5 hrs from the salt so I use it in freshwater way more...your build 12' yak for sure.

Yeah sadly I sorta figure I’d need a 11’6-12’. They are just pretty darn expensive hahah a decent one is 12-1500$ with no bells or whistles. Maybe I hold off until I recoup some money from my move haha

Shrek

WKR
Yeah sadly I sorta figure I’d need a 11’6-12’. They are just pretty darn expensive hahah a decent one is 12-1500$ with no bells or whistles. Maybe I hold off until I recoup some money from my move haha

As for a kayak Facebook marketplace and Craig’s List are your friends. Plenty of decent deals. Moving water with oyster beds are the place to start. Saltwater fish like reds and trout move constantly. Inland salt creeks are already too warm to hold much.