South Carolina hog hunting

Dunndm

WKR
Moved out here over a year ago and finally starting to slow down a little bit and have time to go out and hunt.

I’m in the Charleston area and was looking into areas close to me, public land/WMA’s. I see that hog hunting is open all year but I’m sorta confused on if when it’s open on WMA land. I tried calling local DNR and they didn’t answer.

I was hoping anyone could point me in the right direction and have any pointers? I’m used to hunting rougher back country in California so this thick forestry in new to me. I usually hunt with a bow, but am starting to go more towards rifles.

Thank you in advance for any help. If you don’t want info on the internet please Message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opah

WKR
Hog Hunting ! why did you leave California ?
PART_1549638278877_IMG_20190120_181449 (1).jpg
Well ya there is the Morons, the Antis, The over zealous controlled Hunting regulations and then the lead bullet band. And, And, And ta yes it goes on and on.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Hog Hunting ! why did you leave California ?
View attachment 353293
Well ya there is the Morons, the Antis, The over zealous controlled Hunting regulations and then the lead bullet band. And, And, And ta yes it goes on and on.

Hahaha that’s just the start of everything, but that’s nice lookin!

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Anyone, please

You can only hunt hogs on WMAs when there is another season open, and your weapon must conform to whatever season is open...so if archery deer season is all that is open you are limited to archery equipment, I haven’t hunted them in SC before but I have hunted them in coastal Georgia, one of my favorite hunts

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR

You can only hunt hogs on WMAs when there is another season open, and your weapon must conform to whatever season is open...so if archery deer season is all that is open you are limited to archery equipment, I haven’t hunted them in SC before but I have hunted them in coastal Georgia, one of my favorite hunts

Damn that sorta sucks, so I can’t go out during February when nothings open… so open all year for private, and if no other seasons are open I’m sorta just stuck at home

Damn that sorta sucks, so I can’t go out during February when nothings open… so open all year for private, and if no other seasons are open I’m sorta just stuck at home

Squirrel season goes to 3-1...

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Squirrel season goes to 3-1...

Ahhh, ok, I need to do a little more research on the seasons then. I must be thinking back on CA seasons… hunted there so long i keep getting stuff mixed up.

You can hunt thousands of acres of private and public land, state and national forests, and use whatever weapon you want. Just can't do that in the WMAs. But sometimes you can! There are specific days that you can still hunt hogs with essentially any weapon on about 10 different WMAs. Go to the DNR website and download the PDF regulations book. Then search for "hog still gun hunt".

And even during non-specific still hunt days, it's pretty good on WMAs. Deer season is September 15 - January 1. Squirrels Oct 1 - Mar 1. No cartridge limits for these critters, which means you can hunt hogs with what you want. Turkeys generally run April 1 - 30, so you can bow hunt then.

If you are an avid hunter, join a hunt club...or two!

Last edited:
Mike gave great advice. For less than 1K a year you can get into some serious hogs. This is what one of my feeders looked like two nights ago.

DdJ9voE.jpg

crich

WKR
Good advice above. Also start putting in for gator tags this summer. It usually took me and my buddies 2 or 3 years to be drawn. Gator hunting is an absolute blast.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Good advice above. Also start putting in for gator tags this summer. It usually took me and my buddies 2 or 3 years to be drawn. Gator hunting is an absolute blast.

I’ve never really thought about gator hunting, but with them being ALL over out here I might as well give it a chance and see if I enjoy it haha

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Mike gave great advice. For less than 1K a year you can get into some serious hogs. This is what one of my feeders looked like two nights ago.

DdJ9voE.jpg

What do you mean for less than 1k a year? Like going onto private/leased lands?

Yes, joining a club that has hogs. You can hunt them year round 24/7 on private land, but you can't bait during turkey season (and 10 days prior) if anyone on your lease turkey hunts.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Yes, joining a club that has hogs. You can hunt them year round 24/7 on private land, but you can't bait during turkey season (and 10 days prior) if anyone on your lease turkey hunts.

I was looking into finding some lease land, I just have never done it and not even sure where to start to find it haha

I was looking into finding some lease land, I just have never done it and not even sure where to start to find it haha

Out here we have hundreds (thousands?) of "hunt clubs". Each has its own culture, but most have great deer, hog, and turkey hunting. We lease a 2600 acre Island with 19 other folks. No hogs, but trophy deer and lots of turkey. 8 point minimum for bucks. No dog hunting. Other clubs have dog drives for deer, lots of night hunting for coons, kill any legal deer, etc. Ask around and get to know what you want out of a club, then sign your check, $500 - $5000 a year, with $750 - $1000 a year being common.

Leasing land individually is not common.

FLS

WKR
There are lots of opportunities here in SC, public and private. Do your homework before joining a club. There are good ones, but there are plenty where the new guy is nothing more than a donor to help pay the lease, while the core group of regulars have had the best spots tied up for years. Add in a few retirees that have nothing but time on their hands and a lease can see exponentially more pressure than public. I did the club thing for several years. Eventually just just grew tired of people and their bullshit. They would think up stuff to argue about. I found a piece of property that a lease by myself, hunt with my two sons and an occasional guest and I hunt a good bit of public here in SC. The easy to access spots near metropolitan areas get hit hard on weekends. Hunt places that are difficult to access, midweek and you can have it to yourself. It takes a while to learn where the game resides, but once you do you can be consistently successful. Archery / primitive weapons hunts will also cut the number people in the woods. I killed this sow on SC public during a primitive weapons hunt not too far from Charleston last month. I killed a nice buck the week before and two does with my bow during the October archery hunt.

C1136A46-5D9C-49B6-A3E2-178C2E320462.jpeg

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I moved to Summerville in 2020 and ventured onto public a couple of times but it's so dense I found it very difficult to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk