South Carolina hog hunting

FLS

WKR
Push on thru those pine/ wax Myrtle thickets into a creek bottom or slough and it will open up. Learn to identify our feed trees. Swamp chestnut oaks, overcups and whiteoaks are money in coastal SC. Deer and pigs will walk across acres of water oaks and red oaks to get to the one white oak or overcups that’s dropping I killed three deer off of one big white oak that was dropping this year and the pig in the pic was part of a group feeding on overcup acorns in a slough surrounded by thick pines and wax myrtles. Most guys I see hunting public in SC don’t know what to look for, or just don’t push in far enough. Once you find these spots they produce year after year. When I find one I’ll mark it on my map/ phone. Then it’s just a matter of checking each year to see what’s producing and getting hit. You might look at 10 groups of trees to find the one getting hit. Underneath the drip line of the tree will look tike it’s been tilled and will have fresh droppings, if you don’t see that, keep moving.

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
You have a boat? Put in at the pole yard on the N Santee during the giant king tides of winter. Load shotgun with 00 buck. Cruise slowly around the bottom of east delta wma. Only dry ground is the dikes. Or cruise up the S Santee and access the Francis Marion that way.

crich

WKR
Yup if you have a jon boat thatll open up some opportunities for sure. Youll find that most SC public land hunters stick to access roads make by dnr that lead to small fields where grasses are planted. I havent ran into anyone when getting at least half a mile away from those small fields and roads. Theyre easy to spot with google maps. Floating those creeks before daybreak is a sure fire way to get on the turkeys too 👍

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Push on thru those pine/ wax Myrtle thickets into a creek bottom or slough and it will open up. Learn to identify our feed trees. Swamp chestnut oaks, overcups and whiteoaks are money in coastal SC. Deer and pigs will walk across acres of water oaks and red oaks to get to the one white oak or overcups that’s dropping I killed three deer off of one big white oak that was dropping this year and the pig in the pic was part of a group feeding on overcup acorns in a slough surrounded by thick pines and wax myrtles. Most guys I see hunting public in SC don’t know what to look for, or just don’t push in far enough. Once you find these spots they produce year after year. When I find one I’ll mark it on my map/ phone. Then it’s just a matter of checking each year to see what’s producing and getting hit. You might look at 10 groups of trees to find the one getting hit. Underneath the drip line of the tree will look tike it’s been tilled and will have fresh droppings, if you don’t see that, keep moving.

Thank you very much for this. I needed to brush up on the veg oration out here. Being from the west coast, it’s obviously very different. I knew all the vegetation, when it would blossom, drop etc.

I was planning on going out a lot over the next 3 weeks (luckily I own my own construction company) and take the last 3 weeks of the year off. So I’ll be hitting it hard during the weekdays and probably staying away during the weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
You have a boat? Put in at the pole yard on the N Santee during the giant king tides of winter. Load shotgun with 00 buck. Cruise slowly around the bottom of east delta wma. Only dry ground is the dikes. Or cruise up the S Santee and access the Francis Marion that way.

Sadly I just sold my boat when summer was coming to an end… someone offered more than what I paid for it so I couldn’t really refuse

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Do you guys recommend bringing/wearing snake boots or chaps? I know water moccasins, rattlers and copperheads are plentiful

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
40+years of hunting SC, GA, FL and I never wear them. Watch where you put your hands and feet. Be careful stepping across logs.

Sorta what I was thinking, but I had to ask.. I don’t want to be the one guy that gets bit

FLS

WKR
I’ve killed a bunch of three legged hogs because of that shit. If you do , make sure it’s legal, illegal to shoot a deer from a boat, not sure about a pig since it technically not a game animal, you know where you are, you’re close enough for a clean kill.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I’ve killed a bunch of three legged hogs because of that shit. If you do , make sure it’s legal, illegal to shoot a deer from a boat, not sure about a pig since it technically not a game animal, you know where you are, you’re close enough for a clean kill.

I don’t want to sound arrogant or pompous. But I try to be the most ethical hunter I can. I shot archery tournaments for about 5-6 years. So unless I’m 99% certain I don’t shoot

FLS

WKR
I don’t want to sound arrogant or pompous. But I try to be the most ethical hunter I can. I shot archery tournaments for about 5-6 years. So unless I’m 99% certain I don’t shoot

Not implying otherwise. Shooting hogs from a boat during high water is questionable IMO. I know folks that do and have done it myself. In hind sight it’s a really bad idea. I’ve found crippled and unrecoverable hogs thru the years because of that very practice. Plus if the season is open on those WMAs there may be folks up on the dikes hunting. Recipe for disaster. If it’s not, you’re hunting out of season.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Not implying otherwise. Shooting hogs from a boat during high water is questionable IMO. I know folks that do and have done it myself. In hind sight it’s a really bad idea. I’ve found crippled and unrecoverable hogs thru the years because of that very practice. Plus if the season is open on those WMAs there may be folks up on the dikes hunting. Recipe for disaster. If it’s not, you’re hunting out of season.

Yeah I won’t be partaking in that… 1. I don’t have a boat and 2. Idk how much i would enjoy that

crich

WKR
If you drive enough roads youll find rooting and heavily used trails running right across the dirt roads on wma land. A lot of times theyre going right into a 40ish acre new growth thicket with 8-12 ft pines. If you follow the edge of that section of new pines and brush (which is pretty much impenetrable) you will find their trails where they are coming and going.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If you drive enough roads youll find rooting and heavily used trails running right across the dirt roads on wma land. A lot of times theyre going right into a 40ish acre new growth thicket with 8-12 ft pines. If you follow the edge of that section of new pines and brush (which is pretty much impenetrable) you will find their trails where they are coming and going.

Also good info, just my thought on that… if you trap them won’t they charge?

crich

WKR
Ive been in a couple tight spots where things happened fast and there were 10 or so of those buggers running around me. Had 1 or 2 act like they were going to charge but didnt. There was a group on my buddies lease on a dirt road that high tailed it into the thicket that was about 100 yards deep. The other side had a atv trail paralleling the road we were on. I high tailed it around and to the other side and waited for them to come out and thats when things got sporty. In general theyre just as skittish as anything else.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Ive been in a couple tight spots where things happened fast and there were 10 or so of those buggers running around me. Had 1 or 2 act like they were going to charge but didnt. There was a group on my buddies lease on a dirt road that high tailed it into the thicket that was about 100 yards deep. The other side had a atv trail paralleling the road we were on. I high tailed it around and to the other side and waited for them to come out and thats when things got sporty. In general theyre just as skittish as anything else.

I mean, I do a decent amount of hunting with my older milsurp Guns that have bayonets on them. So I guess I’ll start jabbing if worse comes to worse

This is a pro tip. Just like scouting for bear in a new spot. Put in the time on the back roads. Eventually you'll find sign. Then you know what to do.

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR

There's a hell of an area that isn't WMA. hindsight it's a phenomenal idea. Not a single native in SC thinks hogs are a benefit. Those hooves ruin dikes. They ruin local wildlife. Not all the delta is WMA. Not even close. If anyone on the backside of a dike on a king tide they have scuba gear. No worrying about stupid laws like no Sunday hunting on the forest or .22 mag hunts. Average shot 10-12 yards. No missing that one!!
Three legged hogs. That's funny.
You do you.
I did me. Applauded by everyone. Kill them all