South Carolina hogs?

Pflum

FNG
I'm in the early stages of planning a little winter getaway hog hunt with my dad, thinking February. Was originally thinking Georgia as I've spent some time down around Brunswick. Now I'm thinking about saving a few hours driving each way if I can find some decent public land in S.C. Was looking on their website for some WMAs, got a little confusing with the regs.
Anybody do any hog hunting down that way? We are stickbow hunters, and hog rookies.

crich

WKR
Im in Charleston and Francis Marion national forest is nearby. Public hunting for pigs is only open during seasons for other game species if I remember correctly. There are game zones that break up the state into different regs and then individual units in the forest (WMA's) that may have individual dates rules etc. Private land there is no season or bag limit.

Generally hogs are were they are found. Sounds dumb but they're not widespread like deer. Ive personally only seen a few crossing the road on public land but have a buddy with an 1800 acre lease thats literally overrun. You can shoot one or two just about every outing.

I bet there are areas on public land where theyre thick but I dont know where.

Wvroach

WKR
I hunted in francis marion, you can be successful but it's not a easy hunt like a lot will tell you, baiting is illegal unless on private.

Night hunting is also illegal unless on private. It's swampy with a few high areas to walk. Bring tall muck boots and be prepared to walk non stop for a few days if you want to be successful. You can find giant wallows but the pigs are nocturnal mostly and we never saw one at a wallow during the day. It was a freak cold front when we went down in March so may have played into it some.

If you can find private to night hunt or bait I'd have no doubt you would be successful. But public is tough very tough.

chefcreed

FNG
I live in northeastern SC. My understanding is that on wma you must use the firearm associated with the season. So during deer season a center fire rifle is ok, during small game season only rimfire up to 22 Mag. Archery may be ok during all but would check. Dog hunting for pigs is allowed on some but think they will have a week or two blocked off for center fire rifle hunting so would check on those dates. Maybe look at a pay to hunt for a day or two and strike out on some public after? Around here guys who hunt public hit Waccamaw and wma’s on Pee Dee River.