South Central CO Elk 1st Season

FNG
Hey all,

Pretty new user here. Lifelong resident in CO, lifelong hunter, and have over the past couple years started to hunt areas in South Central CO(notice the deliberate vagueness lol).

Just checking in to see if anyone has had any experience hunting bulls in that part of CO during the first season. Its only my second time hunting first season, my wife's first, so plenty to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Gerbdog

WKR
It will be a rat race. Since archery is now a draw, alot of bowhunters became rifle hunters
Truth to that, i know of a couple folks that are rifle hunting those areas now after OTC archery went away.

OP i dont rifle hunt much anymore, any information i could part with would probably be wrong

Reactions: .22

coelk81

FNG
I would suggest check the statistics for your unit. The number of hunters before( archery and muzzy) then the amount of bull tags given out for the 1st rifle. The first will give you an idea bout the before pressure, and the second will give you your "competition". If you're asking about the quality of bulls in "your" unit, only you can answer that question......

Reactions: .22
OP

FNG
Thanks for the input! It's been surprising how much lack of pressure we've noticed since opening day, at least in the unit we're hunting. Have seen only one other camp and they got a couple nice bulls.
Plenty of action going on but haven't closed the deal yet.