South Dakaota

rhendrix

WKR
I'm thinking about ditching my CO plans (unless I get a mule deer tag with 0 PP's) and heading to NW SD next year in hopes of tagging a mule deer with my bow. Just had a couple of questions for those of you have made this trip before.

1) what kind of pressure is put on the deer population on opening week of bow season? Are there a lot of guys walking through the grasslands looking for mulies?

2) what kind of weather can I expect in NW SD in the beginning of September?

3) how do most people make access to the public ground in SD, is it walk in only with no motorized vehicles, or can you use your truck or 4wheeler?

Just some of the things I've been wondering about while I still try to find my way around the SD wildlife website.

Thanks,
Ron

sodak

FNG
1) Very little pressure on most of the walk-in areas (see the SD GF&P website for an interactive map), especially opening archery weekend. The Black Hills and nearby areas see a little more pressure, but the plains areas see very little.

2) 80's during the day and possible 30's at night. More than likely a little windy.

3) Public is mostly walk-in only. Only the Black Hills will have areas where you can drive an ATV. Check out the Black Hills National Forest website for the particulars.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lots of access, little pressure. It will be hotb

Pm me with any other questions. I hunted SD last year and will be again next year

Last edited: