South Dakota Archery Application Help

Fatcamp

WKR
Applied for the tag by April1. Not for the access permit. Those cant be applied for until late May or early June if I read it correctly.

Correct, but if you hadn't you would be hosed. Welcome to South Dakota. We're all pissed off at SDGFP for something. 😬

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Correct, but if you hadn't you would be hosed. Welcome to South Dakota. We're all pissed off at SDGFP for something. 😬
First question I had on regulations I called customer service only to find they "outsource" that to a call center that has nothing to do with the organization. I immediately hung up and started calling game wardens and regional offices on questions. I can see where even residents would get upset.

Darn, looks like I’m late to the application party. So if I didn’t apply by April 1st, a non resident tag won’t be possible? The South Dakota website is super confusing.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Darn, looks like I’m late to the application party. So if I didn’t apply by April 1st, a non resident tag won’t be possible? The South Dakota website is super confusing.
You can still apply but you will be restricted to private land only.

I am glad I am not the only person confused by their Regs or maybe I am just a little slow... but i have hunted a lot of States and it seems like the Reg book from South Dakota fish and game is a little confusing. I read through it for over an hour last night and it still didnt make sense. I have a lot of family in the Eastern part of SD and they have been bugging me to hunt out there for a while. It seems like they're apps and tags could be simplified a bit. If time allows this year I would like to get out there and whack a whitetail!

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I am glad I am not the only person confused by their Regs or maybe I am just a little slow... but i have hunted a lot of States and it seems like the Reg book from South Dakota fish and game is a little confusing. I read through it for over an hour last night and it still didnt make sense. I have a lot of family in the Eastern part of SD and they have been bugging me to hunt out there for a while. It seems like they're apps and tags could be simplified a bit. If time allows this year I would like to get out there and whack a whitetail!

Post up your questions and we'll try to help you out. I'm a casual big game hunter here in SD, but I try my best to stay on top of the regs and requirements.

KurtR

WKR
Maybe its because i used to read the book while i was bored sitting in ditches waiting for geese but i thought i regs are supper simple compared to the other states i have hunted. In the last few years a few things have changed but other than that its been the same since i can remember.

Emscott

FNG
Also to the op I believe as long as you applied by April 1 for the nonres tag you can hunt private land starting Sept 1. Then can hunt public starting October 1

Not a giant but took this last year my first time in SD.

Attachments

• 609E245F-2CE5-4D65-A34A-CAF445514478.jpeg
    609E245F-2CE5-4D65-A34A-CAF445514478.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

NickD40

FNG
Long time lurker around here, but this thread moved me to post because I had a very similar experience calling SDGFP. My wife and I are kicking the tires on a SD mule deer hunt next year and when I was looking at the licenses I wasn't sure if we should looking at the Archery Deer license or the West River specific license. When I called I asked that very thing, and the lady said I'd want West River. I said we were going for archery, and looking at the season dates going for the West River license didn't really jive with that. She told me firearm season is different than archery....

So I came here and immediately found the answer! Great source of info, and much appreciated!

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Hi - Question I have the ST101 Archery Any Deer tag, Can I apply for an access permit? If I can, How do I? I may have to just call them.
1654622695889.png

Lytro

WKR
Hi - Question I have the ST101 Archery Any Deer tag, Can I apply for an access permit? If I can, How do I? I may have to just call them.
View attachment 417552
I’m guessing NR because I don’t think residents can even buy an archery permit yet. The access permit draw opens later. I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere in the regs, but I think the draw was in July last year.

Fox625

Lil-Rokslider
I’m guessing NR because I don’t think residents can even buy an archery permit yet. The access permit draw opens later. I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere in the regs, but I think the draw was in July last year.
Just looked through the 22 regs...1 July is the deadline for all limited permits this year. It is no where (obvious anyway) on their new site.

Though, you no longer need a permit for the Hills. Only the limited access locations.

Lytro

WKR
I did a quick google search and found it right away. It’s supposed to be open now, but it’s not online yet. The other draws did get delayed due to technical issues with the new licensing system. I’d anticipate seeing it come online soon. The deadline may be extended.

CFC9ECD5-8EF9-46D5-A3C9-50085DA262AE.png

Fox625

Lil-Rokslider
"I did a quick google search and found it right away. It’s supposed to be open now, but it’s not online yet. The other draws did get delayed due to technical issues with the new licensing system. I’d anticipate seeing it come online soon. The deadline may be extended."

Sorry, I meant the application for permits was not in an obvious location.
I do think you are right in that they are having delays with this like they did the Elk/BHS/MG tags earlier this year. I've got a call back into the main licensing office, but who knows how that will go.

Fox625

Lil-Rokslider
To follow up, I got a call back from the licensing office in Pierre. They say that the site is not working right and that the access permits should have been up about a week ago. They are working to correct it. Sounds like more bugs in the new system.

Beagle001

FNG
That new system is a cluster… my wife and I were struggling just trying to make reservations at Custer State Park…

Last edited: