South Dakota Archery Application Help

CB4

WKR
I called customer service and spoke to someone who doesn't hunt and didn't understand the regulations as written so figured Rokslide may be able to steer me in the right direction.

I am planning on applying for an archery deer tag in South Dakota. To me it looks like there are only 3 options, state wide, east of the river and west of the river. If you buy the tag before April 1 you can hunt private and public lands. If purchased after April 1 it is private land only. Either way the season runs from Oct 1 - Jan 1.

To me it looks like they give out unlimited number of archery tags? It is not a true draw where if you have preference points you are more likely to get a tag. Is this correct? If so why would people select east or west of the river specifically? Why are they options? Seems kinda strange unless preference points are needed for the state wide tag.

WCB

WKR
It is an automatic draw. You can buy an east and west river tag...yes two tags. or just one statewide tag.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
It is an automatic draw. You can buy an east and west river tag...yes two tags. or just one statewide tag.
That clarifies it. I was wondering why they would offer an east and west plus state wide if you could only get 1. But if you can get two by going east and west but forfeiting statewide that makes sense. The customer service lady I talked to had no clue on that.

WCB

WKR
That clarifies it. I was wondering why they would offer an east and west plus state wide if you could only get 1. But if you can get two by going east and west but forfeiting statewide that makes sense. The customer service lady I talked to had no clue on that.
Used to be nice in the past I would be a West River and target mulies...If I killed a buck I could then by an east river and go after whitetails. Now with the date you have to purchase by I just by the statewide

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Used to be nice in the past I would be a West River and target mulies...If I killed a buck I could then by an east river and go after whitetails. Now with the date you have to purchase by I just by the statewide
That's my exact plan as well with how it is currently set up. But coming from Iowa I will primarily be targeting mulies just to get some variety. But wont pass up a whitetail that is in range.

KurtR

WKR
They havnt had a limit in the past but SD is famous for changing the rules last minute. Just keep an eye out
In reality that is only the last three years before that nothing changed for like 50 years. With how our deer population is going i could see more changes happening

Lawnboi

WKR
In reality that is only the last three years before that nothing changed for like 50 years. With how our deer population is going i could see more changes happening
I just want to see them make a plan and follow it for a while. I’d like to hunt SD again, but will probably keep building points and use a rifle.

John.45

FNG
I think you need the state wide archery tag to hunt the black hills. Pretty sure the west river tag excludes the black hills.

I think you need the state wide archery tag to hunt the black hills. Pretty sure the west river tag excludes the black hills.
Why do you believe that?

The archery application makes no distinction for the Black Hills that I can see.

John.45

FNG
Why do you believe that?

The archery application makes no distinction for the Black Hills that I can see.
I was using basemaps last year to look at hunting the hills and that’s how the map showed it but looking again this year it appears my earlier statement is incorrect.

Lytro

WKR
Black hills falls under the west river tag, as well as the statewide tag. The free access permit is also required to archery hunt in the black hills.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
I eventually talked to a game warden. Statewide is good for everything except Custer State Park which is closed to hunting during archery season and I believe they only sell a select number of rifle tags for.

The access permit appears to be solely for antlerless deer and antelope

Fatcamp

WKR
I eventually talked to a game warden. Statewide is good for everything except Custer State Park which is closed to hunting during archery season and I believe they only sell a select number of rifle tags for.

The access permit appears to be solely for antlerless deer and antelope

You should take a look at the 2020 application for a better idea of what access permits are required.

That application required a free access permit to archery hunt the Black Hills rifle unit. Harding County NF as well.

I would never take a SDGFP employee at their word on the finer points of regulations. Including game wardens.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
You should take a look at the 2020 application for a better idea of what access permits are required.

That application required a free access permit to archery hunt the Black Hills rifle unit. Harding County NF as well.

I would never take a SDGFP employee at their word on the finer points of regulations. Including game wardens.

Custer National Forest Unit 35L was required for 2020 plus a couple others that were for residents only. The black hills did not require a permit. Below is a link for everyone wondering. See the bottom right of page 3.

Lytro

WKR
Custer National Forest Unit 35L was required for 2020 plus a couple others that were for residents only. The black hills did not require a permit. Below is a link for everyone wondering. See the bottom right of page 3.

Continue your reading onto page 4. It's a free unlimited issue access permit, but it's required to archery hunt within the Black Hills.

"Unlimited Issue Access Permits: Hill Ranch GPA; Little Moreau GPA; Brule Bottom GPA, Pease GPA, Boyer GPA and certain Corp of Engineer area lands along the Missouri River in Brule and Buffalo counties; Newton Hills State Park, and the Black Hills firearm deer unit: Free Access Permit required"

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Continue your reading onto page 4. It's a free unlimited issue access permit, but it's required to archery hunt within the Black Hills.

"Unlimited Issue Access Permits: Hill Ranch GPA; Little Moreau GPA; Brule Bottom GPA, Pease GPA, Boyer GPA and certain Corp of Engineer area lands along the Missouri River in Brule and Buffalo counties; Newton Hills State Park, and the Black Hills firearm deer unit: Free Access Permit required"
But from my understanding that access is unlimited so anyone can get them as long as you apply to them.

But from my understanding that access is unlimited so anyone can get them as long as you apply to them.
Have you hunted SD for mule deer archery before? Last year was my first time and it was extremely tough...

Fatcamp

WKR

If you applied by April 1.

ETA: Applied by April 1 for the NR archery permit. Access permit comes later.

Last edited:
OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Have you hunted SD for mule deer archery before? Last year was my first time and it was extremely tough...
I have not. Plan on going for around a week. Will be very mobile and if we dont spot deer move on.