South Dakota Archery mule deer in mid October...

rino2098

FNG
This year will be my first ever Western hunt. I picked South Dakota Archery for the first state as the tag was a for sure draw and very decent price. I mean I could apply or wait for other states but I figure why wait, get a tag and see what it's all about. If it's something I want to dive in deeper with or not. I've gotten a few pointers on FB that directed me to Butte Co. I then sat down on OnX and found there is a lot walk in and BLM land up in that area. But that's about all I really know. I have never been to the state and as I live in FL is not just a drive over for the weekend and check it out kinda thing. I had a trip planned back in April to fly into Rapid City which I was going to go and scout and then was going to go on up into ND/Montana meet a friend and turkey hunt. As we all know the great covid-19 crap stopped that dead in it's tracks. Ok back on subject, what I'm wanting to ask is if anyone has hunted SD in the Butte Co areas? If so what do I need to look for on maps to know that I might have a chance at finding deer! To me it pretty much looks like the same thing everywhere looking at maps. I mean I personally ain't after a state record or anything but just to get the experience and hopefully a chance at my first stalk. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
I wouldn’t expect much location info on a tag anyone can get.

It’s a tough hunt with a bow but very fun. Be ready for single digits and snow to 80 degrees and sun.
From what I've seen as a avg the weather normally Is low of 30s to highs in upper 50s lower 60s. I'm not hoping for exact location or pin drops but more what to be looking for as in looking at maps. The tag is a forsure draw but still needed to be applied for and only good for bow hunting. Thanks

KurtR

WKR
From what I've seen as a avg the weather normally Is low of 30s to highs in upper 50s lower 60s. I'm not hoping for exact location or pin drops but more what to be looking for as in looking at maps. The tag is a forsure draw but still needed to be applied for and only good for bow hunting. Thanks

Averages mean nothing really. Deer will be found from the North Dakota border to Nebraska. From the Missouri River to Wyoming/Montana border. It’s rolling hills that means lots of glassing. Nothing on a map will really stick out they will be found pretty much any where. Pick an area and hunt if there is nothing for a few days move. Be mobile

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
If you glass enough country you will find deer. All that country is pretty much the same so deer won’t really be concentrated to any specific areas. Other than weekends pressure will likely be pretty low

Trial153

WKR
Keep moving till you find a pocket or two in close proximity. Dont invest too much in a location unless your seeing deer. After you find them play it slow and dont blow them out.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
If you glass enough country you will find deer. All that country is pretty much the same so deer won’t really be concentrated to any specific areas. Other than weekends pressure will likely be pretty low
I'm planning on driving out Thur,Fri, sat hiking in some and scouting on a Sunday hunting Monday-fri and leaving that evening and dining the 28hrs back

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on driving out Thur,Fri, sat hiking in some and scouting on a Sunday hunting Monday-fri and leaving that evening and dining the 28hrs back
Good plan. Unless you have high expectations you should find deer to stalk. Like someone said, don’t rush any stalks you do get. If the deer don’t get spooked they will likely be in the same areas the next day. Just like hunting anything, patience is crucial

Fatcamp

WKR
So you applied early and have a non-resident archery deer tag valid on public land?

As others have said, be mobile. Once you find deer slow way down and plan a long game.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Good plan. Unless you have high expectations you should find deer to stalk. Like someone said, don’t rush any stalks you do get. If the deer don’t get spooked they will likely be in the same areas the next day. Just like hunting anything, patience is crucial

Legal is all I hope for. I mean don't get me wrong I would like a tank just like the next. I've hunted whitetail since I was 13 and now 42. I have a few 130" bucks but they only came in the last 10 years from a non managed family farm. They were drive 15 hours hunt 5 days drive 15 hours home. I have ate tags before so at least I know what they taste like. I'm excited and scared crappless all at the same time. I know some what I'm doing with whitetail. I also know I'll be eating real food and sleeping in a bed when don't that 90% of the time. With this I'm wanting to hike onto so BLM and set camp and stay the week, move camp if needed but not sleeping at the truck. Now if all this crap I'm your country would stop so things could get back to normal some cause Oct is closing in fast.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
So you applied early and have a non-resident archery deer tag valid on public land?

As others have said, be mobile. Once you find deer slow way down and plan a long game.
Yes I applied in March. I think it was open for a couple weeks. It's a west river archery any deer tag. It's on my fridge right now. I talked with SD DNR and they said it was a for sure draw but still had to apply it wasn't OTC. Also non resident season doesn't start till Oct 1st on public where resident starts in September.

Lawnboi

WKR

Last time I hunted SD at that time I got a foot of snow, single digit temps and 40mph winds. Last deer I killed out there last week of October I hung at night, recorded 63mph winds that night and 12 degree temp when I got the deer back to the truck. Frozen solid in under 8 hours. Last year wife and I had single digit temps not far away in Montana. Just be ready. Had plenty of warm 60 degree sunny days too but weather has been crap more than it has been nice.

If your leaving pavement or graded roads have chains, and know how to put them on.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another thing if your camping water, atleast decent water, is tough to come by.

As for hunting spot and stalk is pretty straight forward. Go slow, watch the wind and be prepared for a little longer of a shot. Grab a public land atlas and find your own spots, there’s deer all over. If you don’t sleep in you will find deer to go after.

Don’t let poor weather, especially wind deter you from getting out. Iv had good luck on heavy wind days when everyone else stays in. Deer tuck in tight and hold tight, wind covers your noise.

Otherwise good luck, if you have other questions not regarding locations let me know. I’ll be one state over end of October again this year.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Last time I hunted SD at that time I got a foot of snow, single digit temps and 40mph winds. Last deer I killed out there last week of October I hung at night, recorded 63mph winds that night and 12 degree temp when I got the deer back to the truck. Frozen solid in under 8 hours. Last year wife and I had single digit temps not far away in Montana. Just be ready. Had plenty of warm 60 degree sunny days too but weather has been crap more than it has been nice.

If your leaving pavement or graded roads have chains, and know how to put them on.

I don't think I'm going to venture to far off the beaten path. I have tested my gear down to low 20s with 20-30mph gusting 40s but that was only one night. I happen to be in the mountains in eastern WV with the wife and told her I was pitching my tent and going to see how everything worked. When I came in the house at 730 that morning she told me she thought I would a been coming in a lot sooner because it got down so cold. But it was surprisingly very comfortable inside the tent. I have a older 2person hilleberg anjan, thermarest untralite, and rei 30° 850 down quilt. I also plan on packing my first lite furnace set to sleep in if weather starts to get me. Thank u for the Tips I know a guy in ND right on the Montana line and he said wind is ruff up there.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Another thing if your camping water, atleast decent water, is tough to come by.

As for hunting spot and stalk is pretty straight forward. Go slow, watch the wind and be prepared for a little longer of a shot. Grab a public land atlas and find your own spots, there’s deer all over. If you don’t sleep in you will find deer to go after.

Don’t let poor weather, especially wind deter you from getting out. Iv had good luck on heavy wind days when everyone else stays in. Deer tuck in tight and hold tight, wind covers your noise.

Otherwise good luck, if you have other questions not regarding locations let me know. I’ll be one state over end of October again this year.
Thank u. I'm not one to b let weather keep me from hunting. I'm driving way way too far to sleep in. I plan on getting a hotel the night before I go in at least so I get one good night rest. U mention water being hard. But looking at the maps there looks to be lots of watering holes and possible small streams or run off in the area I have been looking at. So I was hoping for them to be there. I was planning on packing as much as I could thou. Looking and trying to map distances off the road only looks at best a few miles. So I guess if it got to bad just pack back out to the truck one day and fill everything back up. Thank u again for all the insights.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thank u. I'm not one to b let weather keep me from hunting. I'm driving way way too far to sleep in. I plan on getting a hotel the night before I go in at least so I get one good night rest. U mention water being hard. But looking at the maps there looks to be lots of watering holes and possible small streams or run off in the area I have been looking at. So I was hoping for them to be there. I was planning on packing as much as I could thou. Looking and trying to map distances off the road only looks at best a few miles. So I guess if it got to bad just pack back out to the truck one day and fill everything back up. Thank u again for all the insights.

Most of those small streams and pot holes are also heavily used by cattle. I always pack in my water out there unless Im in a spot I’m sure there is good water.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Most of those small streams and pot holes are also heavily used by cattle. I always pack in my water out there unless Im in a spot I’m sure there is good water.
Thank u I was going to try to take as much as I could. Also leave some locked in the cooler at the truck if I do have to go back out

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes I applied in March. I think it was open for a couple weeks. It's a west river archery any deer tag. It's on my fridge right now. I talked with SD DNR and they said it was a for sure draw but still had to apply it wasn't OTC. Also non resident season doesn't start till Oct 1st on public where resident starts in September.

Good man. Bring layers, sunscreen, and bugspray.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Good man. Bring layers, sunscreen, and bugspray.

Haha sunscreen. Heck I haven't worn that chemical stuff in years even with me working outside for my job in FL. Longsleeves and a buff work great and less greasy feeling. Just messing. Just not something one would think about being in SD in mid October. Thank u

KurtR

WKR
Ya I wouldn’t drink most the water out here unless I had to. Could be froze to you never know or all dried up. I do t think any thing is gained camping out there makes you way to stationary. This isn’t the mountains moving 100 plus miles is not out of the question. Hike in get a good vantage point glass if you see deer stay if not move on. Any deer is a legal deer there are no antler restrictions here.