South Dakota Archery mule deer in mid October...

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Ya I wouldn’t drink most the water out here unless I had to. Could be froze to you never know or all dried up. I do t think any thing is gained camping out there makes you way to stationary. This isn’t the mountains moving 100 plus miles is not out of the question. Hike in get a good vantage point glass if you see deer stay if not move on. Any deer is a legal deer there are no antler restrictions here.
Thanks.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Ya I wouldn’t drink most the water out here unless I had to. Could be froze to you never know or all dried up. I do t think any thing is gained camping out there makes you way to stationary. This isn’t the mountains moving 100 plus miles is not out of the question. Hike in get a good vantage point glass if you see deer stay if not move on. Any deer is a legal deer there are no antler restrictions here.
With it sounding like u are in SD. Maybe u could give me a little info on parking. Am I able to park at walk in area Gates as long as I'm not blocking the road. Or is it possible to pull in and close the gates behind and park right on the other side the fence? I'm really hoping to get a weekend and fly out before September when season opens and look around before I drive out to hunt.

krohboy

WKR
With it sounding like u are in SD. Maybe u could give me a little info on parking. Am I able to park at walk in area Gates as long as I'm not blocking the road. Or is it possible to pull in and close the gates behind and park right on the other side the fence? I'm really hoping to get a weekend and fly out before September when season opens and look around before I drive out to hunt.
Depends fully on the walk in area and where the approach is situated and signage. As mentioned before if you plan on hiking in and camping in a spot you will be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage. Best thing you can be is be mobile until you find deer. Camping is also not legal on walk in areas.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Depends fully on the walk in area and where the approach is situated and signage. As mentioned before if you plan on hiking in and camping in a spot you will be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage. Best thing you can be is be mobile until you find deer. Camping is also not legal on walk in areas.
Camping on walk-in not being allowed I have found that out. So I'm looking at areas that will have BLM in the same areas. I'll keep what u have said about being mobile also. Thank u

IAMike304

FNG
Ill be out there for the first time this fall as well. I opted to go spend 10 days there, in fact, the 10 days prior to opener of gun season in Nov. Going solo, let me know how you do or if you decide to push for a later hunt. I decided for Nov over Oct for the opinion from many that it "should" have more deer activity. Probably a little early for the rut, but Ill take my chances over my first experience being in Oct.

FWIW, ill be missing out on the rut in Iowa, to go chase Mulies there. I dont take that decision lightly.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Ill be out there for the first time this fall as well. I opted to go spend 10 days there, in fact, the 10 days prior to opener of gun season in Nov. Going solo, let me know how you do or if you decide to push for a later hunt. I decided for Nov over Oct for the opinion from many that it "should" have more deer activity. Probably a little early for the rut, but Ill take my chances over my first experience being in Oct.

FWIW, ill be missing out on the rut in Iowa, to go chase Mulies there. I dont take that decision lightly.
I'm looking at Oct 17th ish through the 24th. I have to be back to work in FL the 26th or 27th so I hope everything plays out good. I thought about the week right before Nov but the way my with days fall I'll be able to use less time off going the week I'm looking at I'll only have to use 4 vacation days where the next would need 5 or 6. Good luck on your trip.
Iowa is a state i I'm thinking about starting to buy into and get points to try for one of those hoss of white tails that resides there. Things I've seen it's like 2-4 year task for a non-resident

Fatcamp

WKR
Nothing wrong with having a lightweight camp on your back if the weather is decent. If you find deer late you can chill until morning without having to retrace your steps.

Way better than some shitty motel. To me at least. Sleeping under the stars in wild country is awesome.

KurtR

WKR

Ya been here for 41 years. The walk ins are ranchers pasture so don’t block the approach that is the time of year they sell cattle. Other than that you can park pretty much any where. Open the gate and drive in you are breaking the law and will get a ticket. If your driving from Florida your driving past lots of mule deer in the state to get to them all on the way west side along with everyone else. If it is a warm fall watch for rattle snakes they like warm sleeping bags to

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Ya been here for 41 years. The walk ins are ranchers pasture so don’t block the approach that is the time of year they sell cattle. Other than that you can park pretty much any where. Open the gate and drive in you are breaking the law and will get a ticket. If your driving from Florida your driving past lots of mule deer in the state to get to them all on the way west side along with everyone else. If it is a warm fall watch for rattle snakes they like warm sleeping bags to
[/QUOTE

Thank u I'm going to email who ever in a bit and try to get as much info as I can about things like that. Thank you for the info about the walk-in parking also. I know I would most likey drive past a bunch to get to Butte Co area. It was just a spot I was given. I'm still looking if I find areas with just as much public use land I might not end up there. Thank u again

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Nothing wrong with having a lightweight camp on your back if the weather is decent. If you find deer late you can chill until morning without having to retrace your steps.

Way better than some shitty motel. To me at least. Sleeping under the stars in wild country is awesome.
Kinda what I was thinking. I slowly started building the gear and figure I might as well use it. Really don't need to spend an hour or 2 walking in during the morning then just have to walk it again in the evening. Especially if I find deer. Kinda my thoughts anyway. Less time wasted walking driving and renting hotels that don't look like they are anywhere close to the areas I was looking.

Fatcamp

WKR
Kinda what I was thinking. I slowly started building the gear and figure I might as well use it. Really don't need to spend an hour or 2 walking in during the morning then just have to walk it again in the evening. Especially if I find deer. Kinda my thoughts anyway. Less time wasted walking driving and renting hotels that don't look like they are anywhere close to the areas I was looking.

And good practice for bigger adventures down the road. How many days I go without seeing houses and paved roads is a measure of success in my book.

isu22andy

WKR
It rained 2 days when I was there and never felt the need for tire chains. Do alot of walking and glassing . We found them in the wide open plains to the roughest of the rough .

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
It rained 2 days when I was there and never felt the need for tire chains. Do alot of walking and glassing . We found them in the wide open plains to the roughest of the rough .
Thank u. From the sounds of it from everyone it's my eyes are going to get a bigger work out then my legs.

jmez

WKR
I've lived out here for 25 years and never put a set of chains on, nor have I needed them. Water won't be froze in October, if it is will only be a skim. Can kick a hole in it if needed. That said you will want to take water.

There aren't many flowing streams in all of Butte Co regardless of what a map may show. Water sources will be stock tanks, most will be empty if no cows in the pasture, or ponds. The ponds are generally small and may be dry, as was mentioned, and they won't be clean. If there is a white film on the dirt around the pond, DO NOT DRINK from it, even with a filter. A lot of alkaline water in Butte Co. You will spend the majority of the trip on a toilet.

Look for deeper draws on the maps. The mulies like to work down into those draws during the day.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Good advice here...I've hunted a ton of areas west river and that area you are looking at...bring water. By a few gallon jugs and keep them at the truck. Filter or not there is zero reason to have to fill up from a cattle tank or stock pond out there. As mentioned a lot of Alkaline water if you do fill up avoid it.

Also, not saying don't camp out etc...but again no real reason to plan on hiking in and camping out. Because there are deer through the whole area...unless you get to learn it really well or happen to stumble upon a bunch of deer in the middle of nowhere, there really isn't a reason to have to hike more than a mile from the truck before glassing in the morning.

Some of that area you will be in is absolutely thick with what I believe is wild sweet clover that is about shoulder high. Pick it apart with your binos...spotting a tine or an ear may be all you get.

KurtR

WKR
Out here i would say hiking in and camping is more of a disadvantage than advantage. You cover a couple miles fast its nothing like hiking in real mountains . The key to success here is moving alot till you find deer

jmez

WKR
Sweet clover is a biennial plant. We had it last year so there won't be any this year. Next year there will if it rains.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet clover is a biennial plant. We had it last year so there won't be any this year. Next year there will if it rains.

In the central part of the state the sweet clover is pretty thick already