south dakota archery mule deer

KurtR

WKR
The new draw system sucks i only got my state wide muzzle loader any deer tag. No west river or east river rifle tag. Just kidding but sounds like it didnt work out as well as the whiners thought lots of people not drawing little home area.

Fatcamp

WKR
The new draw system sucks i only got my state wide muzzle loader any deer tag. No west river or east river rifle tag. Just kidding but sounds like it didnt work out as well as the whiners thought lots of people not drawing little home area.

Ya, BH any deer barely changed and my WR unit odds got worse. Did draw a tag though. In a unit we saw two really nice bucks in last year.

Buy a tag. Come hunt.

Or stomp your feet and refuse to play. OTC tags and millions of acres of public land, even if they have made some changes. You guys swearing off hunting in states for X and Y will soon be out of options

Last edited:

CP6

FNG
I’m not looking to start anything here, but I’ve hunted SD for awhile and it’s become more and more crowded. I get on forums and see A LOT of threads about SD; used to see zero talk about it and a lot less pressure. For the last two years I’ve seen very few resident plates and an overwhelming number of NR tags...many parked in places they’re not supposed to be, camping in areas not designated for camping, and being overly aggressive in how close they like to hunt to others. The hunting is just ok there, but it’s OTC and there are deer...just not as many as before CWD and there are a LOT MORE hunters running the roads. This is what happens when you have an OTC tag and the Internet...things get talked about, photos shared, and the thing gets ruined. Not always, but between social media and open forums, it’s gotten kinda ridiculous. Maybe that’s what SD is looking at; more pressure and fewer deer. Or could be they’re just wanting their residents to be able to kill 10 bucks each, lock out NR license sales, and build a wall around the state. I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lou2

FNG
I'm furious about this regulation, I'll try to share my opinion without profanity, and I dont even hunt south dakota. The concept that a tag should have different values based on residency is great for the first state to implement it but horrifying for North American wild game management if every state were to adopt it. My goal is to have every American holding a specific tag to have the same opportunity as any other American holding the same tag. Imagine if every state took a shine to this policy. What if a sd resident wanted to hunt elk in Wyoming but wy said no, let our residents hunt the public for a month, then you can spend triple and have a go, good luck. Why would the millions keep flowing? A tag should equal a tag. If you want less hunters, restrict hunters. State discrimination on federal lands doesn't fly with me. Share if this dangerous precedent doesnt fly with you. If every state agreed with this, your NR tag on public land wouldnt be valid until the locals pressured everything off for a month. I'll attach my email to the sd agency in the off chance that you'll copy it for hunter rights. Fight for your rights or they're gone.
Thanks for the response Joe, I've been following this closely and I'm seriously concerned about the precedent that this sets. To be honest, I'm outraged at this proposal, and I've never said that before. I love the American hunting model that has bolstered game populations and spurred hunting participation country wide, but this seems to directly contradict that. To discriminate season start dates on federally controlled public lands based on state residency feels incredibly wrong. Allocation of tags based on residency is a valid regulation, but to provide residents a month head start on limited public lands is a short sighted regulation that will appease residents while infuriating nonresidents. If control of harvest is the goal, then limit tags based on biologist's data, not on the emotional response of residents. Consider if South Dakota sets the precedent that residents should deserve the first month of season over nonresidents. What if every state were to be like South Dakota? What if every state decided that your hard earned tag that you saved up for and took time off work for was worth less than the same tag held by a resident? The most serious hunters that save for these trips would feel like second class citizens and the desire to participate would plummet. My partner and I would spend thousands on nonresident tags, lodging, meals, butchers, bars, etc., but SD would throw this away to provide an early start for residents that pay far less for a tag and supply none of the additional income that a nonresident would bring. It's a purely emotional regulation based on zero data to appease your residents. If this becomes an acceptable means of regulation, what will happen when SD residents find that they're not welcome in another state until after the residents have had their fun? A tag for an animal these days is hard earned, but once that tag is obtained, one should have the optimism and excitement that he or she has the same opportunity as everyone else. If every state adopted this proposed policy, the anticipation would be crushed, the national hunting economy would suffer and the out of stater hate would skyrocket. We have enough nonresident hate to contend with as it is. A tag should provide equal rights to everyone holding that tag, especially on public lands which we all have a right to access. Residents already have the advantage of being able to scout year round, hunt after work, hunt every weekend, and pay far less for tags without paying for lodging or food. That's the tradeoff. I'm an Iowa resident and I know darn well that nonresidents work hard to get a deer tag here and pay way more for them, and I would be appalled if our state told SD residents that their tag was only good after our residents had a go at the public herd for a month. Mule deer are not as territorial as whitetail and will be pushed out of public lands through September, leaving nonresidents with a poor experience and a sour taste of SD game management. Differing start dates for the same tag based on residency is anti hunter and isolationist, good short term for SD hunters but awful for hunting in general if that precedent is set. Especially on federally controlled public land. Outrageous. Please pass this along to your colleagues, I will be sure to pass this discrimination along to every hunting group with a voice that I can find. If modern hunting is to survive, it will require equal opportunity to everyone that holds the same tag, particularly on the public lands that we all hold dear.
Lou

KurtR

WKR
Your about 10 years late to the party. Sd did this with pheasant hunting so it gave the archery hunters that ideas. And since the season used to open on September 15 and just moved to the first they are saying it is really only 2 weeks. The major of residents were against all the new deer draw and regulations but it was changed any way for the few vocal whiners.

Agree this is disappointing, as I have only been hunting SD for a couple years, not decades like some of you guys. I fell in love immediately but we have the option to hunt it or not. I'm still gonna give it a go. Ya never know, I might never have hunted in mid to late october if I wasnt forced to.

Since all my newly purchased warm weather hunting wardrobe is now garbage (lol), what has some of the experiences been hunting a week or two after rifle antelope? Do the deer settle down a bit on public land or are most gone. I've spent some time finding some harder to reach holes and am just curious what some of you seasoned vets have experienced that time of year.

KurtR

WKR
There are not that many antelope hunters. Look at where most goat tags are don’t go there. It is a big state and mule deer live in 2/3 of it don’t hamstring your self to a few counties on the west edge. That is part of the perceived pressure problem everyone thinks mule deer are only in Harding or butte county.

Great point there. I've hunted other areas in WR but kinda found my groove in the NW. I should probably give the other areas a shot and have really been looking at some SE of rapid city. My lack of success in these areas before was most likely due to 'operator error' and not due to lack of deer. Lol

Badlands and Buffalo Gap are underrated but not like up by Buffalo and 35L.
This is complete BS to lay this down this late.

As for the federal land argument and restrictions on NR I completely agree. It seems wrong to deny NR to federal land opportunities. Restrictions I can see but complete shut off until October is horsesh*t.
We’ll shut off the water that all these southern states are stealing from the Great Lakes from May until October- resident use only- at least Michigan’s share. What’s the diff?

Fatcamp

WKR
Agree this is disappointing, as I have only been hunting SD for a couple years, not decades like some of you guys. I fell in love immediately but we have the option to hunt it or not. I'm still gonna give it a go. Ya never know, I might never have hunted in mid to late october if I wasnt forced to.

Since all my newly purchased warm weather hunting wardrobe is now garbage (lol), what has some of the experiences been hunting a week or two after rifle antelope? Do the deer settle down a bit on public land or are most gone. I've spent some time finding some harder to reach holes and am just curious what some of you seasoned vets have experienced that time of year.

The September 1 start date is one season old. If you have been hunting South Dakota, until last year it didn't start until late September. And trust me, it is plenty warm in October.

The vast majority of antelope hunters never venture from the road. A couple hundred yards and you are golden.

I’m not looking to start anything here, but I’ve hunted SD for awhile and it’s become more and more crowded. I get on forums and see A LOT of threads about SD; used to see zero talk about it and a lot less pressure. For the last two years I’ve seen very few resident plates and an overwhelming number of NR tags...many parked in places they’re not supposed to be, camping in areas not designated for camping, and being overly aggressive in how close they like to hunt to others. The hunting is just ok there, but it’s OTC and there are deer...just not as many as before CWD and there are a LOT MORE hunters running the roads. This is what happens when you have an OTC tag and the Internet...things get talked about, photos shared, and the thing gets ruined. Not always, but between social media and open forums, it’s gotten kinda ridiculous. Maybe that’s what SD is looking at; more pressure and fewer deer. Or could be they’re just wanting their residents to be able to kill 10 bucks each, lock out NR license sales, and build a wall around the state. I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️
This is an accurate reply. It appears that many are taking this out of context as a direct attack on our access to public lands or as NR as a whole. I believe that they are trying a new method at controlling the amount of hunters without turning SD NR archery mule deer into a draw system. I feel that limiting the amount of access permits in certain areas and controlling the season dates is a much better option than OTC tags for residents and 1-3 years of preference points required for a NR to draw a tag like most areas. I've mentioned this before, but does anyone realize how many other states guarantee a NR to draw an archery mule deer tag for nearly the whole state every year? Most states allow residents to buy a tag every year while NR hunters get in a line that's always getting longer. I DO agree that the late warning is a cheap shot though.....

Lawnboi

WKR
This is an accurate reply. It appears that many are taking this out of context as a direct attack on our access to public lands or as NR as a whole. I believe that they are trying a new method at controlling the amount of hunters without turning SD NR archery mule deer into a draw system. I feel that limiting the amount of access permits in certain areas and controlling the season dates is a much better option than OTC tags for residents and 1-3 years of preference points required for a NR to draw a tag like most areas. I've mentioned this before, but does anyone realize how many other states guarantee a NR to draw an archery mule deer tag for nearly the whole state every year? Most states allow residents to buy a tag every year while NR hunters get in a line that's always getting longer. I DO agree that the late warning is a cheap shot though.....

Yea I do. That’s why Iv been hunting other states the last few years. Not a guaranteed tag but close enough

Don’t worry though, they will block off the public you like to hunt next year when people move in search of public they can hunt. Oh and you won’t know this is happening till June, when you already have vacation time on the books.

See why people are just a little upset?

Yea I do. That’s why Iv been hunting other states the last few years. Not a guaranteed tag but close enough

Don’t worry though, they will block off the public you like to hunt next year when people move in search of public they can hunt. Oh and you won’t know this is happening till June, when you already have vacation time on the books.

See why people are just a little upset?
The area they blocked off is the area I've been hunting for the past 12+ years so I've personally witnessed the flood of NR hunters and decrease in quality deer numbers. So no, I don't see why people are upset. Most that are upset begin their comment with "I've never hunted this area/state, BUT....."

Lawnboi

WKR
The area they blocked off is the area I've been hunting for the past 12+ years so I've personally witnessed the flood of NR hunters and decrease in quality deer numbers. So no, I don't see why people are upset. Most that are upset begin their comment with "I've never hunted this area/state, BUT....."

Haven’t hunted it for 12 years, wish I could say I have, but have seen the influx in pressure. 6 years ago you would see nobody. Now you see trucks on the roads and campsites filled, definitely a more competitive hunt. But it’s like that more than just South Dakota. The way they keep going about it is what’s irritating, not that they are putting a limit on it. Next id bet they will block off the black hills, same guys have been asking for it for years. Where do you think all these hunters will go when they block off the major pieces of the public land? It’s just going to trickle down, might as well just throw on that 8% lisence cap the whiners want now too.

The herd numbers comment I disagree with, but can’t say I was out there last year. Granted I haven’t walked all the national forest land in Harding county.

I get your point, agree to disagree. Hope to see you out there one day, if I haven’t already. I don’t want SD to be my backup tag every year. If herd numbers show the need to limit tags I have no problem waiting in line. What rubs me the wrong way is the constant change to input from other hunters upset someone with a NR plate is in their spot on public land. I can’t plan a hunt in SD cause I don’t know when the rules come out, or what they will be. Now when the season will be.

I’m done arguing on the internet.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Haven’t hunted it for 12 years, wish I could say I have, but have seen the influx in pressure. 6 years ago you would see nobody. Now you see trucks on the roads and campsites filled, definitely a more competitive hunt. But it’s like that more than just South Dakota. The way they keep going about it is what’s irritating, not that they are putting a limit on it. Next id bet they will block off the black hills, same guys have been asking for it for years. Where do you think all these hunters will go when they block off the major pieces of the public land? It’s just going to trickle down, might as well just throw on that 8% lisence cap the whiners want now too.

The herd numbers comment I disagree with, but can’t say I was out there last year. Granted I haven’t walked all the national forest land in Harding county.

I get your point, agree to disagree. Hope to see you out there one day, if I haven’t already. I don’t want SD to be my backup tag every year. If herd numbers show the need to limit tags I have no problem waiting in line. What rubs me the wrong way is the constant change to input from other hunters upset someone with a NR plate is in their spot on public land. I can’t plan a hunt in SD cause I don’t know when the rules come out, or what they will be. Now when the season will be.

I’m done arguing on the internet.
Good luck.
Agreed, let's hope that they leave the BH area as is. 🤞

Has anyone had much luck on mulies in the Buffalo Gap grasslands? Looks like there is some broken terrain along the outskirts of Badlands NP. Trying to hunt and learn different areas beyond Butte and Harding and was thinking of giving this a try after some desktop scouting. Is this a decent starting point? Decent numbers there? I'll be going the last week of October.

Last edited:

FTG52

FNG
I get being upset about the late notice, that's understandable and all these changes have been just a disaster the way they've been implemented but is everyone really this upset about a $200, basically over the counter, 99.9% Statewide Any-Deer tag, that runs for 3 months? I mean, just putting it into perspective.

Cockeye

WKR
October 1 is perfect for me I’ll elk hunt in Montana till the 30th then go to South Dakota for muley.

Attachments

• 6B5B7E8C-9F33-46DE-8C35-7CD8BF4BE750.jpeg
    6B5B7E8C-9F33-46DE-8C35-7CD8BF4BE750.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 27

isu22andy

WKR
Sure there is maybe "alot" of NR Archery hunters out there but how many are actually successful ? 5 of us went out last year for the first time and I consider us all pretty good archery whitetail hunters and have shot numerous nice whitetail bucks but not one of us filled our tags in SD . Had 2 good stalks but its a different game then majority of the hunters are used to. Takes a while to figure out where to go and in some spots alot of open country. Im not 100 percent sure we had the right area and there had to be better but we had fun. Between tags food gas gas we spent over $3000 dollars and didnt effect the deer herd one bit. .

OFFHNTN

WKR
My biggest issue as a NR is when you apply for one of the 35L access permits, you FIRST have to BUY the $286 license, THEN go back and apply for the access permit. This is @ss backwards. Let's say Custer is the ONLY place I want to hunt, or care to hunt, and I don't draw the access permit, now I have wasted $286 on a license I won't use. Why not apply for the access permit, then if I am successful, my CC automatically gets billed for the license as well? If I am not, I get my preference point, no money changes hands, no harm no foul.