South Dakota big game retrieve

Chett09

FNG
What is the rule on retrieval of game from public to private land. Say i am hunting a parcel of public land, i arrow a deer and it runs and dies on private land. Am i allowed to retrieve the deer without permission? do i need permission? does the private landowner have to grant me permission to retrieve the deer? asking before it may happen to me.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Happened a few years ago during archery season in western SD and permission was granted by the ranch manager but it came with a $250 fee.

Buddy shot a deer on public in SD, ran and died on private,, Lady that owned ranch wouldn't let him get it(they guide on their land),, 70 yards,, game warden said sorry its the law,,, deer went to waste. Dumb law

dtrkyman

WKR
I am not aware of a state where you can just go at will. Is there such a place?

I have heard a few horror stories of people being denied access, In my experience that has not been the case.

I guided whitetail for years in Illinois, countless times deer have crossed and have never been turned down. Anyone with a brain knows it will be reversed at some point, so even if their a D bag and really do not want you to recover a deer they typically will so you will return the favor!

I always talked to adjacent landowners ahead of time and made it clear they would be allowed to track and retrieve deer, just a simple phone call to let me know, most times I would accompany them, some times if they could see the animal I would just let them get it.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
In Vermont you only need permission from the land owner for access if it is posted with legal signage at all corners and every 400’ on the property line and registered annually with the town.