South Dakota bird numbers

Anyone have any pheasant outlook numbers for SD this year? Usually I don't have to go far from home to have success in NE. With the drought and we had a couple really bad hail storms this summer. The bird numbers are down on most of the land I have permission. Thinking of trying a trip to SD this year. I have friends that have said the numbers are down because of the drought in SD also. This was around the Chamberlain area. Thanks

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
We just came from the Chamberlain area walleye fishing and stayed at Cedar Shores Resort. Everyone we talked to said the hunting was great. We also dropped the boat and made a few drives each evening and saw people with birds in their pouches walking public areas. South Dakota has a 2021 bird survey on the web, but the birds are there. Keep in mind the NR South Dakota permit is only valid for Two (5 Day) periods totaling 10 days throughout the year. Cabelas in Mitchell will be your best bet and they are a "well oiled machine" getting people in and out with all of the appropriate paperwork.

Laramie

WKR
South Dakota will always have plenty of birds- even if the local ones all die from something. The bird fam close to me sells the state north of 1 million a year.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I just got back from the Mitchell/White Lake area last night. We killed our 3 - day limit just road hunting and hitting the thick road ditches and asking permission to walk private land around cut corn fields.

The numbers were lower however, I did notice that over many previous years.

KurtR

WKR
South Dakota will always have plenty of birds- even if the local ones all die from something. The bird fam close to me sells the state north of 1 million a year.
You mean the preserves that are privately owned and operated around the state? The sdgfp doesn’t plant pen raised pheasants any where. That would be over 18 million dollars. That would also mean that the 1.1 million birds killed last year were damn near all pen raised ? That is not true and I know that for a fact.

Laramie

WKR
You mean the preserves that are privately owned and operated around the state? The sdgfp doesn’t plant pen raised pheasants any where. That would be over 18 million dollars. That would also mean that the 1.1 million birds killed last year were damn near all pen raised ? That is not true and I know that for a fact.
It's all perspective. No, the state themselves do not publicly buy and release birds. However, the "wild" populations are supplemented all over the state with birds that happen to survive. The rate at which this happens is heavily debated but generally agreed that more than 10% and less than 40% survive to nesting. My point is, the pheasant population isn't going away anytime soon.

KurtR

WKR
It's all perspective. No, the state themselves do not publicly buy and release birds. However, the "wild" populations are supplemented all over the state with birds that happen to survive. The rate at which this happens is heavily debated but generally agreed that more than 10% and less than 40% survive to nesting. My point is, the pheasant population isn't going away anytime soon.
10 % is being generous and those birds don’t range far from where they are released and most are roosters which have little to no effect on the population. Where I hunt there is not a preserve for a lot of mile and the one there is they keep very good records and kill almost every bird they release that morning. The biggest thing that has changed since the hayday of earlier 2000’s is cover . 10 dollar corn and crp going out killed more birds than anything else. It’s still good but nothing like when no one was buying birds other than a few places in the whole state. I know a lot of lodges now that are not preserves putting birds out just to get there hunters some as you can’t burn the same ground and load up with wild birds like back then. I can go get my limit of pen birds with out firing a shot walk slow and just grab them they are that dumb.

bdg848

WKR
We got back from Mobridge, SD two weeks ago. Very dry and 90% of the walk in areas were just pasture which was grazed to the dirt. Very little cover. The only success we had was in little fingers off the Missouri river which were all dry and filled with weeds because the river was so low. When we were driving back through the east half of the state on 90, it looked much more promising. I would stay on that half of the state where there is more crop land and less pasture.

KurtR

WKR
We got back from Mobridge, SD two weeks ago. Very dry and 90% of the walk in areas were just pasture which was grazed to the dirt. Very little cover. The only success we had was in little fingers off the Missouri river which were all dry and filled with weeds because the river was so low. When we were driving back through the east half of the state on 90, it looked much more promising. I would stay on that half of the state where there is more crop land and less pasture.
Hard to find places to hunt down in that country. Would find about the same in the wia. Plus you get in the area of michell and east they get pounded hard just because of the population form there to Sioux Falls. Most corn is just coming out this week around Mobridge. If I’m planning a pheasant trip I would never come before the first week of November unless going with a guide.

Mosby

WKR
I just got back from a scouting trip in SD. I finally found some nice WIA and CREP fields with some grass and cover on my last day driving around. Going back up in December and hunt for a week. Every guy I talked with at the hotel told me they were hunting private ground. Never saw anyone with a dog in the field the 3 days I was there.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back. If you like to drive around and shoot road birds SD is for you. The public access places get pounded so it pretty much is just hunting the ditch banks off the road. We killed lots of birds but it was stupid, not my type of hunting.

KurtR

WKR
Just got back. If you like to drive around and shoot road birds SD is for you. The public access places get pounded so it pretty much is just hunting the ditch banks off the road. We killed lots of birds but it was stupid, not my type of hunting.
where did you hunt at? Guessing east side or south central where every one else goes?

A buddy of my dad's owned a preserve near the rosebud reservation. We killed a bunch of birds on and around it. IIRC, they were required to release five for every three that they killed. It definitely was common to shoot preserve birds on public ground in that area. The preserve guys weren't releasing a handful for each group, they released truck loads of them in the evenings.

Oregon

WKR
You know, I used to be so against this. I do a Hells canyon elk hunt, hells canyon chukar hunt etc. sometimes a "get out the truck and shoot bird" is awesome

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
where did you hunt at? Guessing east side or south central where every one else goes?
I hunted the south central part of the state. Saw lots of road birds, but no country to run bigger running dogs. I would much rather go to Montana etc to hunt. I wont be back.

jmez

WKR
Should have went north. Can run all age dog's on ft Pierre national grasslands.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I hunted the south central part of the state. Saw lots of road birds, but no country to run bigger running dogs. I would much rather go to Montana etc to hunt. I wont be back.
Yep there is a reason all the pointer guys train from Pierre north all summer. Watched some guys run on horse back this year that was cool and those dogs ran real big trains for field trials.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Yep there is a reason all the pointer guys train from Pierre north all summer. Watched some guys run on horse back this year that was cool and those dogs ran real big trains for field trials.
I compete in those same trials. Placed a few times.

chad.vis

FNG
Bird numbers are good, not great but good. I took the month of Nov off and didnt have any big game tags this year so bird hunted 28 of 30 days of Nov. Stayed within 75 miles of Sioux Falls and found birds on public every day. The roosters are getting thinned out but still plenty to be had if you put in a little effort.