South Dakota Cmon

Turkey165

FNG
I did not grow up in SD, but went to college, wrestled, and hunted. I would have loved to stay put in SD, but took Head Wrestling Coach job in IA. A lot of respect to South Dakota and how it is ran. Non-residents must be putting in the work and making the best of their hunts on our public lands in SD. Turns out spot and stalk from the road isn't working anymore. There's nothing more frustrating then going back to your truck and finding Post It notes on your windshield saying go back to IA hunt your own land, or watching a pickup pull-up behind my truck and place nails upright behind my rear tires. Funniest thing I have ever seen. Would have loved to just talk it out! Who carries Post It notes in their truck these days. Next time use a tin lid.

First, they only allow residents to hunt opener because the NR was shooting all their deer.
Now they are trying to limit the licenses and increase the price. It's not going to stop me from applying every year.

Sorry for post, just a frustrated Traditional BowHunter!!

With 10 years of sustained increases in non-resident unlimited Deer and Pronghorn permit sales and SD being the fallback and one of the very cheapest licenses, it's time for residents to get SDGF&P to do something to make a change. SDBI has put in three petitions to put a cap/draw close to the firearms 8% allocations for deer and pronghorn and a third for the NR big game license fees. Get in contact with your GFP staff contacts, legislators and the GF&P commissioners. If you have questions get with SDBI board and we can easily explain this. It's absolutely not an anti-non resident issue. It's a resource protection issue #1 and Resident experience and opportunity issue #2.

South Dakota resident here. The archery regulations for NR's, hunting public land is ridiculous. When they implemented that, I thought what in the heck..They could have solved issues in a better format, in my opinion. We got "whiners weekend" for pheasants and "whiners month" for archery 😆

sodak

FNG
“finding Post It notes on your windshield saying go back to IA hunt your own land, or watching a pickup pull-up behind my truck and place nails upright behind my rear tires.”

Was this reported?

OP
T

Turkey165

FNG
Never crossed my mind. No Reception. Are there DNR in SD? Ive seen one in my time hunting in SD. That was last year. He was investigating abandoned car about three miles off the road. Great dude. Just preoccupied.

KurtR

WKR
Why should we be the fall back and the half the price of every state to the west of us. I have no problem with nr have helped a bunch on here but our deer numbers are bad right now especially mule deer west river where majority of nr hunt and something needs to be done. I would be all for taking rifle out of the rut but that will never happen. Also with people blowing it up in forums it’s to be expected. I don’t really see a down side to that proposal

There are wardens they have lots of ground to cover and use the spotting scope a lot. People are getting watched more than they ever know

Fatcamp

WKR
I did not grow up in SD, but went to college, wrestled, and hunted. I would have loved to stay put in SD, but took Head Wrestling Coach job in IA. A lot of respect to South Dakota and how it is ran. Non-residents must be putting in the work and making the best of their hunts on our public lands in SD. Turns out spot and stalk from the road isn't working anymore. There's nothing more frustrating then going back to your truck and finding Post It notes on your windshield saying go back to IA hunt your own land, or watching a pickup pull-up behind my truck and place nails upright behind my rear tires. Funniest thing I have ever seen. Would have loved to just talk it out! Who carries Post It notes in their truck these days. Next time use a tin lid.

First, they only allow residents to hunt opener because the NR was shooting all their deer.
Now they are trying to limit the licenses and increase the price. It's not going to stop me from applying every year.

Sorry for post, just a frustrated Traditional BowHunter!!

With 10 years of sustained increases in non-resident unlimited Deer and Pronghorn permit sales and SD being the fallback and one of the very cheapest licenses, it's time for residents to get SDGF&P to do something to make a change. SDBI has put in three petitions to put a cap/draw close to the firearms 8% allocations for deer and pronghorn and a third for the NR big game license fees. Get in contact with your GFP staff contacts, legislators and the GF&P commissioners. If you have questions get with SDBI board and we can easily explain this. It's absolutely not an anti-non resident issue. It's a resource protection issue #1 and Resident experience and opportunity issue #2.

Kind of a confusing post. Is that bottom paragraph a quote from somewhere or your personal thoughts?

OP
T

Turkey165

FNG
I get it. It's just frustrating seeing NR getting pushed out slowly on PL. And yes DNR extremely short staff considering the amount of area they have to cover. And yes someone is always watching.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Give Nebraska a try. They have cheap over the counter tags. Probably nicer people too

Maybe try Montana for some good mule deer hunting. 2x2's around every corner from some of the other posts on the usual hunting forums. Best of luck.

As a SD native and now non-resident (well have been since the early 90's) it has definitely changed. Now that my brother has moved out of state and my dad doesn't hunt much any more it is tougher to go back. I still love hunting there and will always have some private I can hunt, but don't really like the buying the archery tag in April thing. Also used to be able to buy leftover tags in a unit that now takes 4 to get a tag.

FWIW, we always gave folks from Iowa a lot of crap growing up in the hills as it seemed like half the plates were from there, however nothing ever mean or what you've experienced.

As far as the GFP, my dad worked for them, and did some work with the wardens, so I always seemed to be around them, that and ours lived a block away. His son is now a senior game warden in another part of the state. Trust me, they are there. As far as being watched, during certain season openers there used to be an eye in the sky too....can't speak to that any more....

Attachments

• husky.jpg
    husky.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 50

Mosby

WKR
There's nothing more frustrating then going back to your truck and finding Post It notes on your windshield saying go back to IA hunt your own land, or watching a pickup pull-up behind my truck and place nails upright behind my rear tires.
I'm normally pretty flexible but that would have hacked me off. I am going to be hunting SD quite a bit this year. Never occurred to me to check for nails but I will now. People are the same everywhere though. I bought land in rural PA years ago when I lived in Ohio, outside of the town I grew up in. Neighbor calls me up and proceeds to tell me that locals don't like "outsiders" and said a few other things for who knows why. Clearly tried to "scare" me. Funny thing was I knew his family. I went to junior and senior high school with his brother. Dumb ass didn't know me but my mom and dad taught him in school. He just assumed that since I lived in Ohio, I was an "outsider". He eventually figured it out and never gave me any trouble but I never understood why people give others crap because of the license plate on their truck. It's public land.

WCB

WKR
Hard to be a fall back when you have to purchase your Archery tag by April 1st and most draws aren't done. Pronghorn I kind or agree...hunted out there for years starting in 2006...see a truck here and there but never any issues. Go out there now it is a circus...of course leave the roads just as far as it takes to get out of sight and you'll have it all to yourself.

Also with regard to the posted note on the truck saying hunt your own land....to bad you couldn't have sent one back that said "I 'm not hunting your land....notice that I am not in my truck on the road".

Hard to be a fall back when you have to purchase your Archery tag by April 1st and most draws aren't done. Pronghorn I kind or agree...hunted out there for years starting in 2006...see a truck here and there but never any issues. Go out there now it is a circus...of course leave the roads just as far as it takes to get out of sight and you'll have it all to yourself.

Also with regard to the posted note on the truck saying hunt your own land....to bad you couldn't have sent one back that said "I 'm not hunting your land....notice that I am not in my truck on the road".
That's why they moved it to Apr 1. Didn't want to be a fallback any more, at least that's what Ive been told.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I know a few of the guys that wrote those proposals and brought the petitions forth to the GFP commission at the last meeting.
Basically, they are trying to reduce pressure on mule deer and antelope, both of which are suffering in numbers currently. The state has all but eliminated pronghorn doe tags for the upcoming firearm season already, and is reducing doe deer tags as well. Are NR archers being used as a scapegoat? Maybe, maybe not. But there's no denying the increased pressure over the past few years.

WCB

WKR
I know a few of the guys that wrote those proposals and brought the petitions forth to the GFP commission at the last meeting.
Basically, they are trying to reduce pressure on mule deer and antelope, both of which are suffering in numbers currently. The state has all but eliminated pronghorn doe tags for the upcoming firearm season already, and is reducing doe deer tags as well. Are NR archers being used as a scapegoat? Maybe, maybe not. But there's no denying the increased pressure over the past few years.
Non resident Archers are 100% being used as a scapegoat. The SD website shows harvest statistics...I think 1 unit had a total of 30 Mule Deer bucks killed with archery between NRs and Residents...most had barely into the double digits (11-13 total MD bucks killed)...most had zero MD does killed. Not sure how archery is even considered the culprit let alone NR Archery hunters....Also in firearm season I just check a couple units....275 bucks killed (122 WT and 153 MD) Total NR tags for antlered deer in that unit a whopping 20 (not including private land tags) Which doesn't mean all 20 even killed a Mule Deer. (not sure if there is a link to hunter success and even more so NR hunter success)

The Custer forest 35L....80 bucks taken 8 nonresident tags.....yeah the NRs are decimating the population...WTF. The guys that wrote this have zero interest in protecting MD and Antelope. They simply do not like NR hunters. If SD guys cared about deer populations or opportunity for hunting deer...eliminate 1 guys ability to get multiple tags and have ZERO Mule Deer doe tags.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Just because they aren’t harvesting a lot of deer doesn’t mean non-residents aren’t putting more pressure on the land and deer. I think total tag numbers given out to non-resident archery hunters from the previous 5-10 years would give a better indication of their “affect” that residents are seeing in hunting pressure