South Dakota Covid Deer

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
What a great night with my boys.

The first place we went to had out of state archery hunters so we headed to spot B. On the way found a badger that was in a bad way. Not sure if he was poisoned, rabid, or hit but we were able to show him to the boys and then I killed him with my Glock. Take no pleasure in such things, but he was obviously suffering.

The spot we went to doesn't look like much from the road but we were able to find a buck with a bedded doe on private next door with a satellite forkhorn. Made for a great teachable moment on respecting private land and following the rules. What made it even better was that they ended up crossing the fence 30 minutes later in a way I told the boys they may. I could have shot the buck for sure, 50 yards at most, but he was a crabby 3X3 and just not what I'm after. Beautiful animal, though. I tried for the longest time to get my 13 year old set up on the doe but it just didn't happen. Could have shot the forkhorn but his tag is a mentor tag only good for a doe.

Eventually it was getting late enough so I gathered both boys and walked up on the buck and doe where they were bedded. The buck got up at 30 yards and bounded twice then over the fence back to private. The doe followed. Then the forkhorn.

Very cool experience for them to see play out. In no way disappointed that no blood was spilled. Plenty of time for that.

Not sure what tomorrow holds, but today was a great day.

KIMG3377.JPG

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
20201123_055728.jpg Here's Fatcamp's "waiting by the door so they don't leave me/not quite a big game companion" mutt this morn. We've had SEVERAL chats about being QUIET while hunting... We shall see how today goes.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, the Huntress redeemed herself. Had to chase him around a bit but she shot him from 70 yards offhand. She is very relieved as the miss yesterday hurt her feelings. Very fat and healthy looking deer.
KIMG3386.JPGKIMG3393.JPGKIMG3408.JPGKIMG3413.JPG

Mt Al

WKR
Awesome story about how you got the tags and were able to capitalize! I started bow hunting western SD two years ago, awesome place, beautiful country. Congratulations on a great hunt with your family + dog. Thanks for sharing.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Good night again. The Huntress and youngest looked for rocks and fossils while the oldest and I hunted. Found a really nice sanctuary with whitetail and mule deer, bucks and does. Just not enough time to make a play tonight. Tomorrow morning is our last chance to hunt this trip. I can come back next weekend but really don't want to. My floor is short staff and really needs people on Saturday. I have been working plenty of extra shifts so if I don't it's not a huge deal, but wouldn't hurt.

Could have shot a forkhorn at 226. Saw a much nicer buck at 500 but only for a few seconds and didn't have a good chance to evaluate him. I know this area produces some nice bucks and with all the does around there is bound to be one. We have a good plan in the morning. If I can't find a mule deer I want we will probably take whitetails.

Do you guys think of we shoot a doe that a buck is chasing around he will stay long enough to switch shooters and kill him? There was a pretty nice whitetail buck in there, and it wouldn't bother me to take a few out of the population.

hobbes

WKR
Good night again. The Huntress and youngest looked for rocks and fossils while the oldest and I hunted. Found a really nice sanctuary with whitetail and mule deer, bucks and does. Just not enough time to make a play tonight. Tomorrow morning is our last chance to hunt this trip. I can come back next weekend but really don't want to. My floor is short staff and really needs people on Saturday. I have been working plenty of extra shifts so if I don't it's not a huge deal, but wouldn't hurt.

Could have shot a forkhorn at 226. Saw a much nicer buck at 500 but only for a few seconds and didn't have a good chance to evaluate him. I know this area produces some nice bucks and with all the does around there is bound to be one. We have a good plan in the morning. If I can't find a mule deer I want we will probably take whitetails.

Do you guys think of we shoot a doe that a buck is chasing around he will stay long enough to switch shooters and kill him? There was a pretty nice whitetail buck in there, and it wouldn't bother me to take a few out of the population.
It's a gamble. I'd probably shoot the buck first if he was one that I wanted, then hope a doe gives a shot afterwards. I think muleys will let you get by with more. Whitetails are unpredictable

Congrats to your wife.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
We are done. His mentor tag is good until the end of the year and we are all ready to get home.

Busy week for us all just starting.

First whitetail. I'm pretty happy with him. He was a stud. Valley full of does and a hot one bedded within eyeshot. He never knew what hit him.

hobbes

WKR
We are done. His mentor tag is good until the end of the year and we are all ready to get home.

Busy week for us all just starting.

First whitetail. I'm pretty happy with him. He was a stud. Valley full of does and a hot one bedded within eyeshot. He never knew what hit him.
That's a great first whitetail. I'm originally from Southern IL, so killed quite a few whitetails. It's bee a while though. Congrats again.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Heck yeah, good job. Looks like your boy needs a pack so he can help pack.
The older boy used his mom's pack and brought out the two front quarters. The little guy carried that rifle the whole way.

Neither one complained at any point on this trip. Great kids.