South Dakota Covid Deer

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Great story Fatcamp, nice deer taken as well. My son and his wife had twin girls November 9 and released from NICU at Avera yesterday so we got to meet them last night.
Again good story, I now understand the live hunt aspect of this site you mentioned prior to our elk hunt.
wmd

Well, we did this last year and it was kind of fun so I thought I would try again. A year later finds me as a new nurse on a covid unit with school and NCLEX a distant memory, my wife settled in at her new position, and a 70# dog we take everywhere.

We drew no rifle tags this year in Wyoming or South Dakota but were lucky enough to get tags that were returned due to a program SDGFP instituted to allow people to return their tags if they didn't feel it was safe to hunt. These tags are for the same unit we have hunted the last 3 years so to say we are excited would be an understatement. We also have an excellent weather forecast where last year we hunted in some pretty brutal conditions.

We are also bringing some kids this year. Our 11 and 13 year old sons are coming with. This will be their first deer hunting trip and they seem pretty excited. Along with the boys we have a 1 year old German/Australian Shepherd my wife has been training. Gonna be quite the group. LOL.

Gonna be a slow start, but I figured I could get it started tonight while I had time. A few pictures from last year.

View attachment 233876View attachment 233877View attachment 233878
nice

lif

WKR
Love family participation. I have a 12 year old girl and 14 year boy. My girl killed her first deer this year. My boy has 4 under his belt. Our family vacation for the last 3 years have been hunting trips. I can’t hardly go with my buddies on a hunting trip now without my wife giving me the “ we want to go”. Great memories. I’m very thankful for these experiences. Keep up the good work.

Lytro

WKR
Nice write up, and congrats on the filled tags and memories made! I also jumped in on the COVID tags this year and was able to kill 5 bucks (4 whitetail/1 muley) from returned tags, and I have a statewide muzzleloader tag to fill yet. It’s been a great opportunity to get meat in the freezer after striking out on CO elk this year!

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Nice write up, and congrats on the filled tags and memories made! I also jumped in on the COVID tags this year and was able to kill 5 bucks (4 whitetail/1 muley) from returned tags, and I have a statewide muzzleloader tag to fill yet. It’s been a great opportunity to get meat in the freezer after striking out on CO elk this year!

Our meat is all packed up and frozen. Meant to take some pictures and post but life got crazy busy as soon as we got home.

The kid and I are hunting in the morning tomorrow to hopefully fill his tag. Would be nice to head back west but I don't think we will have time.