South Dakota DIY

Going on a trip to western South Dakota for archery mule deer! Go to Custer area or band lands? Out there for 4 days anything helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttltown

WKR
Lot of public land north of Wall...very up and down country, great for mulies. As an out of stater I've shot 3 or 4 decent ones in that area.

Last edited:

olsonws

FNG
Lot of public land about an hour north of Wall...very up and down country, great for mulies. As an out of stater I've shot 3 or 4 decent ones in that area...between Creighton and Pedro on east and south side of Cheyenne River.
can u camp there

ttltown

WKR
Yes..probably not big enough or worthwhile to backpack in and camp. But you can pull a camper and park off the side of the road. We always had a Cabelas Alaknak style tent with stove in it and just camped off the road. Haven't been there for a few years but there were people hunting it...but like anything if you get away from the roads you can find solitude.

ttltown

WKR
Not sure if you are referencing the land north of Wall Kurt...but the majority is BLM land and it is perfectly acceptable for overnight camping. There is also smatterings of school and state lands.

Pezboat

WKR
Not sure if you are referencing the land north of Wall Kurt...but the majority is BLM land and it is perfectly acceptable for overnight camping. There is also smatterings of school and state lands.

I believe he’s talking about the “walk in area” private land that is open to the public. You can’t camp on that.

KurtR

WKR

Ya blm is fine I don’t know that school land can be overnighted on . As most state land you can’t camp on unless designated. There isn’t anything big enough out here to need to camp on. Winter was way tougher than first thought last year deer took a ass kicking

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
If you are referring to custer as in custer national forest in harding county, you need an access permit that they recently changed to a draw only. There's still some deer off of the national forest, so you could hunt on the walk ins or school and public. Just a heads up! That area north of wall is pretty solid for mule deer, If I remember right its one of the highest counties as far as boone and crockett entries go, if you are after large deer anyway

Going on a trip to western South Dakota for archery mule deer! Go to Custer area or band lands? Out there for 4 days anything helps

When are ya headed out. I'm leaving 10/13-10/22
shoot me a text and I can tell ya what I know 717-215-1011

OP
J
When are ya headed out. I'm leaving 10/13-10/22
shoot me a text and I can tell ya what I know 717-215-1011

That’s close to the same dates that I’ll be out! 15-22 I’ll shoot you a text. Think I’m headed to north of wall

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up for anyone looking to Hunt 35L Custer National Forest, you need to have an archery access permit. There was a first time limited draw this year. Also there were deadlines for NR Archery tags this year. If you don’t have one by now you’re out of luck. CNF has been overrun with hunters the last two or three years. My advice is to avoid the area all together. For those who don’t know. Camping is not permitted on Walk-in Areas, Waterfowl Production Areas, or School Grounds. So options for camping are NF, State Parks, and Private campgrounds.

Last edited:

shockin

FNG
"For those who don’t know. Camping is not permitted on Walk-in Areas, Waterfowl Production Areas, or School Grounds. "

According to Mr. Brunner, Director of School and Public lands, Which I spoke with last year, You Can camp on said land but they strongly prefer you do not drive across grassland unnecessarily , get off the road or thru a gate without blocking access and park .

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
"For those who don’t know. Camping is not permitted on Walk-in Areas, Waterfowl Production Areas, or School Grounds. "

According to Mr. Brunner, Director of School and Public lands, Which I spoke with last year, You Can camp on said land but they strongly prefer you do not drive across grassland unnecessarily , get off the road or thru a gate without blocking access and park .
Camping is NOT permitted on Walk in Areas, and Waterfowl Production Areas. It’s written clearly in the book. SD School Lands are property’s given to the state to to make revenue for public schools. It’s only been since the early 90’s that hunting has been permitted on these properties. Although it’s not clearly specified, these properties are leased by farmers and ranchers. You can try to camp there, but you will likely be booted if caught. Also driving is not permitted on any of these properties period.

Last edited:

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
were headed to haakon county area at the end of this week ill let you know how it is