South Dakota DIY

I don't really understand why you guys put specific cities and areas right on Rokslide for literally thousands of people to see as well as anyone googling "South Dakota DIY Mule Deer" to find.

Put it all in PMs my dudes!

Yea, everybody go to Wall... Then, complain about all the "pressure".

Lawnboi

WKR
Limited draw for nr is in the talks

Wouldn’t be opposed if it got rid of the ridiculous late start rule.

That said I believe there are better opportunities elsewhere.

While I completely support limiting opportunity when herd numbers permit, I can’t see why so many want opportunity cut because of pressure on public ground. Pressure is increasing all over on public ground, and I don’t think limiting opportunity is necessarily the answer.

I hope to hunt SD again in the future, but who knows what it will be like in 5 years. I’m just sick of them changing things up on a whim every year at people complaining. Make a plan, follow it, so people can plan.

KurtR

WKR
It won’t and deer is not high on the radar we are the pheasant capital of the world that’s what they really care about. The deer numbers did take a big hit last winter bigger than I thought at first. Found lots of dead deer this yeat

NDGuy

WKR
Yeah they shafted us on that as well as the making the application deadline so early. SD used to be a state you could go hunt last minute if other plans didn't work out.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider

That said I believe there are better opportunities elsewhere.

While I completely support limiting opportunity when herd numbers permit, I can’t see why so many want opportunity cut because of pressure on public ground. Pressure is increasing all over on public ground, and I don’t think limiting opportunity is necessarily the answer.

I hope to hunt SD again in the future, but who knows what it will be like in 5 years. I’m just sick of them changing things up on a whim every year at people complaining. Make a plan, follow it, so people can plan.
There’s already new changes in motion for next year. I’ve been told that the Sept. 1 Archery start for residents will be move back to its original opening date like it was a couple years back. Different date for NR deadlines. Limiting Archery tags will likely continue not only for NRs, but also for Residents. The SDGFP Commission went down a rabbit hole this last year. The Commission is made up of mostly Land Owners and Outfitters. Guidelines were set for NR and Resident Deer tags during a Stakeholder meeting which is comprised of mostly Outfitters. I was told by multiple Commissioners that if NR tags were limited that Resident tags would also be limited. SD Bowhunters also got involved. Their members complained about over crowding on Public Land. I also believe that SD Bowhunters is lobbying to turn Public Land in SD into “Trophy Units”. Long story short. The Outfitters on the Commission and Stakeholders Group are worried about losing their guaranteed NR Archery tags. So they decided to limit opportunities on Public Lands so they wouldn’t have to limit tags to someone paying an Outfitter. I believe this will continue. Another location or two will have complaints of “overcrowding” this year. The SDGFP Commission along with SD Bowhunters will pick another “Trophy Unit” limiting access to Public Land.

Lawnboi

WKR
It won’t and deer is not high on the radar we are the pheasant capital of the world that’s what they really care about. The deer numbers did take a big hit last winter bigger than I thought at first. Found lots of dead deer this yeat

If numbers deem more management that is a reason I can fully wrap my head around. Limiting hunting opportunity because someone is in your spot on public land, or to create a public land trophy unit that chaps my ass. That’s coming from a place where it’s not uncommon for 5 guys to be hunting a 40acre piece.

I sincerely hope SD gets its act together. It’s a state I enjoy visiting and actually a place where the wife and I have considered relocating to in the future.

NDGuy

WKR
There’s already new changes in motion for next year. I’ve been told that the Sept. 1 Archery start for residents will be move back to its original opening date like it was a couple years back.
Wow do I hope that isn't true...

Fatcamp

WKR
Season starts today for non-residents? Right? Who's hunting?

SDGFP is going to do whatever they want. You can yell at clouds or you can work with what you are given which is an excellent opportunity to hunt mule deer for 3 months on an tag that takes no more than 5 minutes work to get.

Better do it now though, because if I had to guess changes are coming and they will not favor the NR hunter. Especially with the rhetoric being tossed around about this issue. These folks absolutely hate being told what to do, and a bunch of guys from out of state telling them how wrong they are is only going to piss them off.

Take a look at NR waterfowl tags to get a feel for what's to come.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
Wow do I hope that isn't true...
I got somewhat involved this last winter when the archery access permit limits were proposed on the first pieces of Public Land and then passed. Got to talk to a lot of Commissioners and people with interest. These Commission seats don’t pay a penny. It all has to do with interest in hunting. I can tell you that none of them care about the Public Land Hunter. I’m a resident and can honestly tell you that from the first hand conversations I’ve had with these people.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
... and cubing points pushed every young person out of the elk draw for decades to come. Same with September 1 archery start. Not am single person I knew wanted that, and I know a lot of archery hunters.

I honestly think they base decisions upon what a few close to them desire.

KurtR

WKR
Every one I know wanted the September 1st start. The cubed points I don’t know how bad it is I know 4 different people with 12 or less that drew elk tags

Fatcamp

WKR
At this point I couldn't agree more about hunting velvet mule deer.

The cubing thing is reality. My wife made an Excel sheet and there are not enough people coming out of the draw to offset their increase due to cubing, effectively stopping any new people from drawing. It is what it is, but I felt like SDGFP did everything they could to avoid telling people what the end result would be.

KurtR

WKR
The next good thing SDGFP does will be the first.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They have been pretty decent I think it’s the commission that is the bigger problem. The nr waterfowl license is a huge win. Getting mountain lion season opened up a little is a start. Getting nv to hunt coyotes at night is a win. When Oahe flushed raising limits to 15 and not just letting all the fish die was a good call. Cutting rifle license numbers back getting rid of double and triple tags after two bad winters was a good call. We are an opportunity state to hunt and fish and if your not doing something every weekend it’s beca you so choose. Once sept 1st hits the hard part is picking what to do be it early goose, dove, deer then grouse now duck hunting is world class this year. Look at Nd you are lucky to get a mule deer buck tag once ever 7 years as a resident and it’s not like it’s trophy units. Overall the bow hunters whining and a few morons who can’t read draw stats for rifle tags then the commission catering to the vocal minority it has only been a problem the last 3 or 4 years. Talking to my dad we are still in the glory years of wild life compared to the 60 and 70’s. I only drew the state wide muzzle loader tag kinda glad get to hunt birds way more.

NDGuy

WKR
Look at Nd you are lucky to get a mule deer buck tag once ever 7 years as a resident and it’s not like it’s trophy units.
(Cries)
Dude I can't even draw a whitetail tag by my lake cabin for 3-4 years lol our state is F'd for opportunity outside of birds, turkey and archery.

Fatcamp

WKR
Great input, KurtR. I freely admit being pissed off about cubing points. This anger clouds my judgement when sharing my opinion on SDGFP. We are very lucky, and as you say, picking what to do is the hardest part. I haven't shot a duck in years and that my friend is sad.

CP6

FNG
I mean we can all bitch, but I ran into 3 hunters in an area I've hunted and seen maybe a dozen hunters in a few hundred square miles mostly on roads and parked on the side. Last year I had 3 different hunters come in on where I was hunting, 2 blew stalks I was committed to for over an hour each. Guess what...THEY ALL HEARD ABOUT THAT AREA FROM INTERNET SCOUTING AND FORUMS. This was down to the name of the road I was hunting! Everyone can argue that helping out folks is what forums are all about, but come on, for those hotspotters giving up spots...show how good of a person you are at a soup kitchen and stop ruining it for the rest of us who know how to keep our mouths shut.