South Dakota Elk Draw

Fatcamp

WKR
Results are early. No for my wife and I.

Anybody beat the odds? Or have 20 years pay off?

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. They didn't even allow a tag to be in the below 2 or more years preference bracket for H5. Complete waste of an application.

Edited my cow numbers, looks like there will be a bunch for a second draw.

Last edited:
My dad had 19 points and didn't pull in H1. Bummer as he's turning 70 this year. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Got drawn for Black Hills Elk with 20 preference points. My cousins husband, who ranches in Western SD, and I finally drew, I spent 10 years convincing him we needed to start applying or we would be too old to go. We are both 67 so still capable, our sons who are buddies will accompany us as well. Figure Custer State park will never happen.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Got drawn for Black Hills Elk with 20 preference points. My cousins husband, who ranches in Western SD, and I finally drew, I spent 10 years convincing him we needed to start applying or we would be too old to go. We are both 67 so still capable, our sons who are buddies will accompany us as well. Figure Custer State park will never happen.

Yaaa! That is awesome!

Mind sharing what unit? Pretty sure if you do a live or semi-live hunt in the Fall you will be the first to detail a SD elk hunt on Rokslide.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
H3A south of Custer and down to Edgemont. We had been applying in H2 but I am going on a moose hunt next year and my son is moose hunting in 2021 so we upped our odds by applying in H3 this year

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
No go for me. 8 Points across the board for me so barely in the running anyway.

Ya, 8 points is kind of no man's land. Way better than 4. 😁

Considering using my wife's points for a second draw cow tag.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
My son drew 2 years ago with 8 points. He was ducking every time he entered a room with hunters in it and knew he drew with only 8 points

Reactions: zbb
OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
H3A south of Custer and down to Edgemont. We had been applying in H2 but I am going on a moose hunt next year and my son is moose hunting in 2021 so we upped our odds by applying in H3 this year

I know it a bit. We can chat if you want.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
That would be great I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
wmd

PM when you want to talk. I don't think I have paper maps of that area, but between SDGFP and OnX we can figure it out.

slick

WKR
Buddy drew rifle tag, he had the archery tag in H3 in 2016. Didnt ask which unit he pulled. I hunted H7 with a friend few years ago. Dandy bulls running around the Hills. If only they would issue NR tags.