South Dakota in two weeks!

Heading out to SD in less than two weeks (4th-12th) for a West River archery hunt. We have our public land pieces picked out and have lots of options. Going with a resident and a friend with 5+ years experience doing this type of hunt. Planning on doing it a "back country" style hunt. Looking really just for other people's recent experience, deer numbers, drought, current conditions, etc. The area we are going to be in isn't at the top of the list for NR public land harvests, but still decent numbers. TIA

Mt Al

WKR
I don't know if this helps, but I was out early September for West River private land white tail and deer were everywhere - crawling with white tail! Where I go there are few to zero mulies. I came home empty handed, my own fault, I don't practice enough to make confident shots at 40+. Need to change my priorities.

Hope you have fun, send pics.

cr_hod

FNG
Definitely been dry in western side of the state. Worse the farther north you go.

Been several reports/notifications on ehd. I personally haven’t seen any in the areas I hunt.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
Was there for antelope 3 weeks ago. I think if you dropped a match the western half of the state would burn down. Saw a ton of whitetails and few mulies where I was.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Really dry all winter, spring and summer. Has been much better the last month-6 weeks though. EHD is bad in spots and nothing in other areas so will likely just need to move around until you find where the deer are. The area I hunt the mule deer numbers are really good and the whitetails are down, but have heard the exact opposite report from other people in different areas. Basically western South Dakota is going to be really hit and miss this year and your pretty much gonna have to check things out first hand to know what's there

OP
ManUpNorth
Yes targeting muleys. Hopeful for not running into EHD, but we're more than willing to put on the extra miles (boots/tires) to find deer. Thanks!

KurtR

WKR
In my area the whitetails have been hit really hard with ehd lots of dead ones found by pheasant hunters. I didnt even apply for a rifle license west river i had enough points to draw my any deer tag i didnt see much and my brother in law that ranches hasnt seen much for mule deer either. Seems there are pockets where it is good. Gotten a fair amount of rain the last few weeks it is muddy and not much for drying weather

mbrady3

FNG
Headed to the hills in the Lemmon area, hopefully we see some deer. The reports here dont seem highly optimistic, but I'm pumped for the hunt none the less. Even bad hunting beats work..Best of luck to all out there!

Good luck. I’ll be heading out for rifle season west river and can’t wait. Always a good time.

KurtR

WKR
Hot this weekend in the 60’s and not much wind. Watch out where you drive fires can still start pretty easy.